Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened with his hair on that one...

What with his scalp on that one?

Ive been intrigued for a while with this picture that you may seen it before; the photo is from '74 I think, so the question is: can you see that there something not quite right with his hair? could he have been loosing his hair already and he carefully disguised? I dont think so... I personaly think that bald spot on his head could be becasue of the amount of strees that he was suffering, those kind of bald spots happen when someone is too stressed out at the point of been sick; or even worst could have anything to do with the medications he was taking?

My point here is, if he was simply loosing his hair, well there is nothing wrong with that, that is something that happend to some man, is something natural, no matter if you are Elvis, I dont think Elvis would be the kind of man that would desguise that. But I dont think that was the case, I think he was ill, he was a man in pain, and there was probably much more happening to him during his last days that we will ever known.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lam.jpg   mop.jpg  
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 10-09-2005 at 02:30 PM.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    I don't think Elvis was losing his hair ROR....I think the "bald spot" is probably just from the way his hair was parted...plus, it looks like this photo was taken outside, so perhaps it was windy that day and the wind just caused his hair to blow in such a way as to make it appear Elvis had a bald spot.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

It could be a flaw with the photo also. I have never seen any other picture of Elvis with a spot like that. But when you dye your hair as long as he had it does thin the hair over time.

Yeah it was the wind blowing his hair around.

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    It could be a flaw with the photo also. I have never seen any other picture of Elvis with a spot like that. But when you dye your hair as long as he had it does thin the hair over time.
    Good point KPM!! Had Elvis lived past that fateful August day, it would be interesting to see if Elvis dying his hair all those years would have had an effect on him as he got older!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Although these photos are a little tenuous, Elvis WAS, by several accounts, losing his hair before his death. According to several archived reviews at www.elvisconcerts.com and the words of Larry Geller, Elvis' hair had started to thin on his crown. Whether this was symptomatic of his excessive dying/styling and drug addiction or merely male pattern baldness is unclear. My personal belief is that the former probably accelerated the latter.

Yes, but that was in 1977. Elvis hair was getting a little thinner in some places but he did not have any bald spots yet. Elvis' hair was taken good care of. The fact his hair was thinning had a lot to do with Elvis' lifestyle, his weak diet and his overtaking of medication.

The pictures that are posted along with the quistion are from the summer of 1974 where Elvis was not in the poor health condition as he was later. This somewhat strange effect is purely caused by a strong wind that caught him when he left a building. It's not a bald spot although you could the idea it was. Good observation though R'on'R.

I suspected the pics were of what I now see on my screen - but my connection was playing up TERRIBLY earlier and they wouldn't load. But yeah... that's what I was getting at, Leroy. It's very tenuous to say he was experiencing any loss based on pictures from 1974. I think these images have more to do with the way he vigorously combed it in certain directions. For example, you can see a sharp divide in his otherwise amazingly thick hair in the 1968 Comeback Special.

Backstage Pass
    it was just the wind

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I don't believe it's the wind, because his hair was just too thick to show such a gap by just wind. But since you see so extreme many pictures of Elvis over the years, with none of them showing something like this, I guess it may be a case of losing hair temporary.

Due to sickness or extreme mental stress, people can suddenly loose large amounts of haird at a particular spot. That hair will grow back eventually.

I don't believe Elvis was getting bold, but had problems during that time that may have caused this temporary bald spot.

Looking at CBS In Concert, I always wonder how bad his hair looked. Not the way of how he had it combed, but the state of the hair. Just look at his eyebrows during those shows. Compare that with other shows where he had makeup (On Tour, TTWII, Comeback Special, Aloha), his eyebrows looked tiny and painted on.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

One thing I've noticed about the picture is the unique location of the spot. Not in front or on top really, where most thinning occurs, but it looks about an inch or 2 behind his hairline. I can not recall ever seeing a spot of baldness on anyone(other thatn cancer patients on chemo) with such a weird location of a baldspot(I still don't really think its that) Where did this picture come from, it would be easy to create that spot with a computer photo program. I did a bald picture of my brother on his 40th b-day and you would have sworn he was truely bald on top.

That is an original photo, is not altered in any way; its from the book: Unseen Elvis, a photo book by Jim Curtin.

I think as Albert Says, some kind of bald spot due for strees, those things happen, and they look similar to the ones that ocurr on cancer patients because they happen on weird places, not the typical hair loss zones, due that is not a hair loss problem related to the man hair loss paternm it will grow very quickly, as always did.

But anyway, I dont think Elvis was lossing his hair, as I posted, I think this was a health problem, or maybe a crazy fan simply pulled a chunck out of his scalp, auch!!!

Yes because of the weird location it would have to be something like that. It does look like a clump came out all at once.

This reminds me of a story I read once in a book written by Joe Esposito. Sometime in the mid 70's, Elvis and some of the guys were wrestling and playing around like they always did, but this particular time someone grabbed a handful of Elvis' hair. To their surprise, the hair came right off his head! Everyone stood there in shock staring at E. It turned out that he had been trying out different wigs because his hair was thinning so much. This embarresed him and he quickly grabbed the wig and told them to keep it to themselves.

I don't recall the name of the book, but I'll try to find it and let you know!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Huh, I have Diamonds Joes book Good Rockin Tonight and could find nothin the the index about thinning hair of wigs. Did he write another book? Or maybe is it another book by someone else. That s a story I've never heard.

Originally posted by KPM
    Huh, I have Diamonds Joes book Good Rockin Tonight and could find nothin the the index about thinning hair of wigs.
    That's it!!! The book is "Good Rockin' Tonight" and I promise that story is in there!!! I'm not sure if you'd be able to find it in the index, but it's for sure in there!!!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

that is definitely the way the wind is blowing that caused his hair to look that way. elvis was turning gray headed but i dont think he was going bald by no means.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nabelt24
    This reminds me of a story I read once in a book written by Joe Esposito. Sometime in the mid 70's, Elvis and some of the guys were wrestling and playing around like they always did, but this particular time someone grabbed a handful of Elvis' hair. To their surprise, the hair came right off his head! Everyone stood there in shock staring at E. It turned out that he had been trying out different wigs because his hair was thinning so much. This embarresed him and he quickly grabbed the wig and told them to keep it to themselves.

I don't recall the name of the book, but I'll try to find it and let you know!
    That's also what Elvis former girlfriend Sheila onetime told. But she told it a bit differently: it was not a wig that Elvis wore to hide thinning hair, but to fool the guys. Just look at his father: thick hair. No worries for Elvis.

I still believe the picture shows just a temporary problem (especially looking at the unusual spot and Elvis' health during that period).
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    It's also a possibility that it is some kind of scar, maybe bumped his head, had stitches. Who knows?

You can see a little of the crown thining on the flame picture

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flame.jpg  

I have been looking at more pictures from this scene and noticed that his hair is a real mess. It's also a little wet. It could well be he's just out of bed. Now if you ever experienced walking in the rain and then looking into a mirror you will see your skull is showing. It looks as if your hair is thinner than it used to be. I believe thst is the case with this picture. And also remember it's just a picture, a moment in a time frame. Wind and water can do strange things.
    Like I stated before, this picture is taken in mid 1974. He's not ill so there's no reason for temporary baldnedd or bald spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elvis1975.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast