Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Priscilla and Lisa Marie and the Image

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar

Priscilla and Lisa Marie and the Image

I was just wondering what you guys' thoughts were on Priscilla's current enthusiasm to keep up her late husband's image and Lisa Marie's duet with Elvis and her resolve to keep a positive image out there of her father. I am mixed on both especially Priscilla. Sometimes I feel she truly still has feelings that guide her that way and sometimes I feel Elvis has just become big business. With Lisa Marie, I feel that is all about the love of her father. On "Elvis by the Presleys" she was very hesitant to talk about the negatives and didn't on a few occasions, or stopped the conversation. I've seen her do this in other interviews too, I really respect that. As far as her songs, he is her dad why wouldn't want to express her feelings by writing about it. Anyway, wondering what you guys felt. thanks
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

International Level

Cool

You mean ELVI$?
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Hello,

This is a tough one!

EPE but not only Lennon, Marley, Hendrix legacies and so on are all about business and making money!! This is what their "brands" are aiming at! Sell sell sell... Each of them trying to adapt their marketing image to match their products being sold. It is now the music business that rules not the artistry, a personnal insight from their relaitives or whatever... The innocence is gone for sure.

As Neil Yound said in a recent interview: what was great about Elvis was that innocence he had a very human character simple and authentic to who people may relate to. An iconic figure and the kind of hero you remember with a "smile on your face". He told about the Elvis picture he wanted to use as a cover in his last album, "Prairie wind" in which in pays tribute to E in the song "He was the King" and was willing to pay the price for it and how EPE refused to allow him doing that!

JHow ironic he said they may be willing t to use Elvis image to sell cars, pills or whatever sordi business that may be! and when it comes to Elvis most important legacy: his music, they turned him down personnally!! Can you believe that Neil Young being rejected by a bunch of marketing jerks!!

Parker has made a lot of babies....

Priscilla I guess is the only one knowing the real motivations driving her!

International Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Menwithbrokenhearts
    I was just wondering what you guys' thoughts were on Priscilla's current enthusiasm to keep up her late husband's image and Lisa Marie's duet with Elvis and her resolve to keep a positive image out there of her father. I am mixed on both especially Priscilla. Sometimes I feel she truly still has feelings that guide her that way and sometimes I feel Elvis has just become big business. With Lisa Marie, I feel that is all about the love of her father. On "Elvis by the Presleys" she was very hesitant to talk about the negatives and didn't on a few occasions, or stopped the conversation. I've seen her do this in other interviews too, I really respect that. As far as her songs, he is her dad why wouldn't want to express her feelings by writing about it. Anyway, wondering what you guys felt. thanks
    "Elvis By The Presleys" or, "Elvis by the Beaulieus", as Lisa and Patsy are the only Presley's in the production was by Priscilla and Lisa, so while it is a nice production it isn't unbiased and doesent draw on anything except what Priscilla approves of. There was an Elvis before Priscilla, there was an Elvis after Elvis and Priscilla.

A few things that Priscilla has done which dont garner favour with me are;

- Convincing Vernon to make her executeur of Elvis' will following his own death, even though Elvis had never expressed a wish for Priscilla to be involved in his will or the management of his estate.

- Her treatment of Elvis' relations once she assumed control of the Estate. Far too much to get into here, but suffice to say she upset a lot of Presley's. Aunt Delta never spoke highly of her until the day she herself died.

- Her redecoration of Elvis' home to the way it was when her and Elvis were together. Graceland is not as Elvis left it. She has redecorated.

- Her manipulation of Guarnlicks biography of Elvis to a pro-EPE stance; although since they paid for it I guess it was to be expected.

- Her sometimes fictional autobiographical book; Elvis and Me.

- The amount of Beaulieus who are now involved with EPE and making a living off of Elvis' name and legacy. Elvis had nothing to do with them from 72'.

- Her donations to Scientology. The reason I list it is that her main income is from the estate and it is from this income that she donates money to a religion which Elvis expressed severe distate for.

On the other side; I do thank and applaud her for opening Graceland up to the public. For assuming control of Elvis' name, image and likeness to prevent any bloodsuckers from living off money which I feel only those whom he decided in his will should inherit. He worked for everything and I don't see any justification in anyone other than his family living off the fruits of his labour. It also prevents people from making a mockery of his name and image; although I do hope they do something about the Impersonators!

Lisa; I think she missed a lot due to her young age when Elvis died. But I have noticed shes not that bothered about Graceland/EPE/ Elvis' legacy. She is obsessed with being her own person - fair enough - but she is Elvis Presley's daughter and I would like to see her be more pro-active in the role of Elvis' daughter. She doesent have much to do with his side of the family or with his beliefs. She really hasnt done that much that I can talk about though.

These are just my observations. I can't say that I dislike them. They are the most recognised 'Presley's' after Elvis. Lisa is Elvis' daughter and looks so much like him it is astonishing. Priscilla, was a woman whom Elvis spent a considerable amount of time with and with whom he seemed to have been very very happy. Just as I believe he would be with us today had Linda stuck around, I too believe had Priscilla and Elvis remained together, he would be still here.

Well in my opion, Priscilla is a first class baracuda The way she`s promoting herself in `Elvis by the Presleys` is a disgrace. It`s always the same old story;
    Priscilla is the victim and Elvis is the bad guy.
    Somewhere in the dvd set she makes a remark about Elvis` love for his fans. She says: suddenly i knew why Elvis loved his fans so much....they said all the things he likes to hear. This is not only an insult to Elvis but to all the Elvis fans in the world !!!
    I never understood why all Elvis fans like or sometimes even whorship her, because this woman is just an ordinary money maker and the still uses Elvis` name to do so. The dvd set is an outrage it`s the story of the Beaulieu family and the all end up together (almost) screaming `thank you Priscilla !`for opening Graceland to the public, it`s disgusting
    During the whole dvd she`s also still talking about `us`, but to my opinion Elvis stopped the `us` part already in 1972. Lisa Marie and Jerry Schilling said nice things about Elvis, their words showed true love for Elvis, but `the woman` is complaining all the time and that makes me sick. She still using those Elvis fans to make money, but she makes it very clear that she doesn`t like them at all.
    Like i`ve said before; this woman is a real baracuda and the Elvis world would be much better of whithout her presence all the time. She must take a good look at the intervieuws that where given by Linda Thompson about Elvis. Linda never says one bad thing about him and still treats him whit respect, that`s the way it should be.
    So let`s forget about Pris, her terrible book and even whorse film and this dvd set.
    It brings nothing new to the real fans and it`s only there to let her bank account grew once again. Priscilla opened Graceland to the public that`s true, but she only did it for her own profit. It`s also because of her that `Elvis in concert` is still not officially released on dvd and we`re not able to buy pictures of Elvis from that period in the shops around Graceland.
    In her opinion Elvis died in 1973.......do i need to say more??

cilla

Priscilla is the type of girl who just needs a bit of spanking (like E did with some chick in Blue Hawaii!).

I'd advise Priscilla to leave Scientology and go to Oprah and/or the church instead.

She (cilla) is his ex-wife and mother of their only child, though..!

lnicks Elvis did have very much contact with Priscilla and her family after 72. He always wanted her there for the openings in Vegas, and told her to bring whomever she wanted. He called her quite a bit just to talk even when he was involved with other girls. Probably a baracuda was what was needed after Elvis
    s dad died, someone had to cut out the COl. who was still taking 50% off the top (not counting the side deals) and the estate was $500,000 away from going under. The baracuda got rid of the sharks and kept the wolf from the door. If she had'nt saved the estate the Elvis story would have had an even more tragic and sad ending. Instead it is the most visited private home in the country , after the W.House, and makes money for his daughter-bottom line thats what Elvis would have wanted his daugter secure. Now does Priscilla make a good living at it-you bet, too much maybe. Does she portray her self in a more favorable light than she should, probably but don't we all. I use to hate her after Elvis died but have some respect for the fact that she has worked to keep the estate for Elvis's daughter. I mean after Vernon died who else could have been trusted? Lisa could have taken the reins when the will specified and she decided I'm not into running corporations and its doing well, so she left her mom in charge. Shes much like her dad who also had no interest in the business end. From what I've read in other bios she can be ruthless, in business ruthless is the name of the game. I wonder where you get your info about Peter Guirlnicks books I have not heard of any connection between the estate and him(tht doesn't mean there isn't one Iam just curious)

Cadillac King
    I have never to this day understood what Elvis saw in her sure she was attractive but without a heart what does that matter.
    She doesn`t like the fans (except when she has something to sell) and has never liked them in fact I`ll go as far as to say she doesn`t like people. They were always at the gate she says with distaste. She didn`t like the guys around him and she never showed any interest in his religious convictions infact she was so cruel as to burn all his books in the sixties.
    Elvis on the other hand loved people and would give everything he could to please his fans and thought about others first something she has never done.
    She has certainly got a high opinion of herself believing that Elvis could not love any other woman after her when in fact he did -Linda, Ginger etc.
    Vernon did not want to leave Graceland to her but in his mind what choice did he have, he wanted Lisa to get everything that she was entitled and he thought the only person that would really look out for her would be her mother when in fact the only person she looked out for was herself.
    She likes to go on about how Elvis made her dye her hair black but look at pictures of her in the sixties she had black hair, auburn hair and blonde hair all before she married him and I don`t believe that he made her return all her clothes if he didn`t like them as she states in Elvis By The Beaulieus!!!
    I find it hard to believe as she says that she saw Elvis all the time after the divorce a) he was touring a great deal b) he was with Linda etc c) she was shacked up with her karate instructor who is without a doubt the most repulsive man I have ever seen how on earth you can go from Elvis to that is beyond me!
    Also the story how she was told by Elvis not to get close to the other wives because he had confided things about the guys to her what a crock! Her best friend was Joe Espositos wife for god sake. She says that they may of thought she was cold because of this what an excuse. They thought you were cold Priscilla because you are don`t go blaming Elvis.
    She has changed her story so many times that I don`t think she knows what the truth is anymore.
    As for Lisa I would like to see her more involved with the Elvis world coming to Memphis during Elvis week etc, a walk on once every five years during Elvis The Concert is not enough. It annoys me that she goes to Memphis during the quieter times of the year instead of when its Elvis`s birthday etc, it annoys me when for instance in 2002 during Elvis week she chose to watch the fans at the candlelight vigil through the mansion window instead of being amongst them. But I also know that her mother has stopped her doing things on certain occasions. She as also I believe bad mouthed him to her and If anyone watched the Oprah interview of them both together Lisa was very apprehensive at the end when Oprah was plugging the book, dvd, cd and All Shook Up musical while priscilla was loving it even though she had slated Elvis during the interview for giving Lisa too many gifts claiming that he didn`t know what it did to a child and that her life with him consisted of being in a bubble.
    Last edited by joanne; 10-08-2005 at 12:55 PM.

International Level Menwithbrokenhearts's Avatar
    Thank you so much for all your replies!

I watched the Elvis by the Presleys dvd again after I read your replies and I have to agree, she, Priscilla, is very much playing the victim and all about herself, whereas Lisa is very apprehensive to talk about anything unless it's a positive memory. I realize that Priscilla has done alot to preserve his image, but it seems obvious what her true motivations are. My guess is that her and Lisa don't see eye to eye too much on this. Lisa does seem more like her father in that respect. I like that about her. But it also seems Priscilla has an adequate amount of control over her as far as EPE goes. (reminds me of another business relationship a little!)
    I didn't realize she had redecorated Graceland! That kind of pisses me off. It would have been nice to have seen it as Elvis left it.
    I knew that Vernon had done that but I did not know that she had talked him into it. My guess though is that it didn't take much. Elvis wanted Lisa taken care of and protected and so did Vernon. I think that was his prime motivation. She still seems pissed at Elvis but she does know what side her bread is buttered on.eh?
    Considering the pressures of being Elvis' daughter, EPE, her mother, all the fans, etc.... I think Lisa has done a pretty good job. I don't think she feels too comfortable in public situations especially when it concerns her dad. I suppose that could be alot or Priscilla's doing too.

Anyway. thanks again you guys!!!
    Got my family, my kids, my books and my music, I'm good, yeah, I'm good.....

International Level

Cool

There are pictures on the net of the way it used be. Can't remember which site, but it was all done in Red, kind of funky. Linda decorated it that way. On the tour of Graceland you can see in the back of the house where Charlie had his apartement some of the furniture that used to decorate the living room in 77.

International Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    lnicks Elvis did have very much contact with Priscilla and her family after 72. He always wanted her there for the openings in Vegas, and told her to bring whomever she wanted. He called her quite a bit just to talk even when he was involved with other girls. Probably a baracuda was what was needed after Elvis
    s dad died, someone had to cut out the COl. who was still taking 50% off the top (not counting the side deals) and the estate was $500,000 away from going under. The baracuda got rid of the sharks and kept the wolf from the door. If she had'nt saved the estate the Elvis story would have had an even more tragic and sad ending. Instead it is the most visited private home in the country , after the W.House, and makes money for his daughter-bottom line thats what Elvis would have wanted his daugter secure. Now does Priscilla make a good living at it-you bet, too much maybe. Does she portray her self in a more favorable light than she should, probably but don't we all. I use to hate her after Elvis died but have some respect for the fact that she has worked to keep the estate for Elvis's daughter. I mean after Vernon died who else could have been trusted? Lisa could have taken the reins when the will specified and she decided I'm not into running corporations and its doing well, so she left her mom in charge. Shes much like her dad who also had no interest in the business end. From what I've read in other bios she can be ruthless, in business ruthless is the name of the game. I wonder where you get your info about Peter Guirlnicks books I have not heard of any connection between the estate and him(tht doesn't mean there isn't one Iam just curious)

I don't believe Elvis and Priscilla were as close after 72' as Priscilla likes to make out. You know in 77 she asked Elvis for $100,000 so her father could open a liquer store, Elvis never paid up - yet she moaned about it after he died, saying had he not her father would have eventually gotten the money.

Priscilla also gets far too much praise for the Estate. After Vernon refusing to put her in the will a few times, she finally caught him on his death bed and after she pleaded with him, he gave in. He gave in primarily because he thought the bank and Joe Hanks, the accountant would lead the estate in the right way. They were made executors as well untill Lisa was the right age. It wasn't all Priscilla. Jack Soden also doesent get the credit he deserves because he made a lot of savy business decisions. Priscilla isnt that good a business woman, she takes the credit but she doesent deserve all of it. As Soden said; "Scatter could have opened Graceland and it would have been a success."

As for Guarnlick. He was beholden to the estate financially. Those books are EPE products and the stance they take on certain issues is very obvious. He also uses primarily Priscilla and anyone she favours as a source. Billy Smith was Elvis' closet friend when he died, he was also like a little brother to Elvis ( not like the Stanleys who claim to be ), and he is barely mentioned in either of the books. I also believe he is guilty of plaigarism to a certain degree with that book. The publishing company lost money on the project. I believe it is seriously flawed and should not be taken as a definitve history of Elvis.

Cadillac King
    Lisa admitted on Oprah that she had only bonded with her mother in the last two years which means that she only started to get on with her when she was in her mid thirties which if I was Priscilla I would be very ashamed about.
    I don`t agree with a lot that Lisa has said and done she has made some stupid mistakes (Michael Jackson for one) and said some stupid things but in regards to her father lets face the facts who has she ever really had to talk to about him, all the Presleys are gone and all that she has had are the Beaulieus and we know what song sheet they sing from.
    I don`t think she has had any help dealing with his death and this shows itself by the fact that she can`t talk about the day he died. On every interview she resists going into that day it is obviously still painful for her.
    I haven`t liked her attitude on a lot of occasions but I do feel that its a cover for whats really going on underneath.
    This woman was once a 9 year-old girl who saw her father being carried out of Graceland on Aug 16 1977 and the first person she phoned was not her mother but Linda Thompson I think that says a lot.

Thank you Joanna !!

Joanna, i`m glad to read that at least one Elvis fan agrees with me on the `Priscilla part`. I agree with you too about the things you`ve pointed out on Lisa Marie. The `Jackson move` was a bad move, Elvis wouldn`t have liked that.
    It`s absolutly true that Linda was the first person Lisa called after Elvis` died and that indeed says it all.
    About the Beaulieu family; I`ve visited `Elvis the concert` in 1997 in Memphis. The two of them where present there because `good old` Pris invited them. Pris said that they never attended an Elvis concert before and i didn`t understand that at all. Imagine .... Your son in law is Elvis Presley, the biggest entertainer in the world and during all those years you`ve never attended one concert of the man I think that points out exactly from what songsheet they sing !!
    I didn`t know about the story that Pris talked to Vernon at the time he was dieing but it doesn`t surprise me at all. The woman is totaly evil in my opinion and that`s why i don`t understand all those fans who still protect her.
    Do you remember the scene in the movie `Elvis and me` where you can see Elvis walking around the pool area at the Las Vegas Hilton eating pills like candy??
    Everyone knows that Elvis had a problem with his medication, but this scene is an absolute outrage Later in the movie you can see Elvis picking up the phone when Pris calls him. He has a naked lady in his bed, but how did Pris know that when she was on the other side of that phone
    Priscilla was already complaining about her life with Elvis in the early sixties when he was out making movies and she was `left alone again in the castle`. My question is: why did she marry the man in the first place? She was already complaining about his relationship with Ann Margret, so why marry a man you don`t trust, who puts you in `isolation`, who dates other women and is never at home? The true reason in my opinion is MONEY!! She decided to marry Elvis and did everything in her power to realise that. It`s far from honest to complain and play the victim all the time when you knew what life with Elvis would be like.
    Linda Thompson is much more honest in her intervieuws. She never wrote a dirty book about Elvis She never makes bas comments about him and she certainly is not complaining like Pris does all the time
    There was a movie `Elvis and the beauty queen` once, but this was made whithout Linda`s cooperation. So thank you Joanna for backing me up, i`m sure this discussion is far from over. I didn`t even mention the role of the `little sister`Michelle in all of this, because i didn`t come to it. Her comments are almost the same as Priscilla`s, they all `know` facts whithout seeing it with their own eyes. The apple is not far from the tree in this case.
    I`ve written a 7 page article about Priscilla`s role in Elvis life, her book/movie and this dvd projekt but there`s not one fanclub willing to publisch it, because they all say....you can`t say things like that about Priscilla! .....and my question is...WHY NOT, when it`s the truth

Quote Originally Posted by 0349054
    I don't believe Elvis and Priscilla were as close after 72' as Priscilla likes to make out. You know in 77 she asked Elvis for $100,000 so her father could open a liquer store, Elvis never paid up - yet she moaned about it after he died, saying had he not her father would have eventually gotten the money.

Priscilla also gets far too much praise for the Estate. After Vernon refusing to put her in the will a few times, she finally caught him on his death bed and after she pleaded with him, he gave in. He gave in primarily because he thought the bank and Joe Hanks, the accountant would lead the estate in the right way. They were made executors as well untill Lisa was the right age. It wasn't all Priscilla. Jack Soden also doesent get the credit he deserves because he made a lot of savy business decisions. Priscilla isnt that good a business woman, she takes the credit but she doesent deserve all of it. As Soden said; "Scatter could have opened Graceland and it would have been a success."

As for Guarnlick. He was beholden to the estate financially. Those books are EPE products and the stance they take on certain issues is very obvious. He also uses primarily Priscilla and anyone she favours as a source. Billy Smith was Elvis' closet friend when he died, he was also like a little brother to Elvis ( not like the Stanleys who claim to be ), and he is barely mentioned in either of the books. I also believe he is guilty of plaigarism to a certain degree with that book. The publishing company lost money on the project. I believe it is seriously flawed and should not be taken as a definitve history of Elvis.
    I looked thru my copy and saw no official connection to EPE. I also looked up reviews of the book and according to the New York Times it was a hugely succesful bio being on the best sellers list for weeks and after reading several reviews of the book and some reviews of his other works Guarnlicks he is considered a first rate straight shooter who tells it as he finds it , with taste and dignity.. The books notes and bibliography in one volumn were over 70 pages- explaining where all info came from and from who it came from as all books have to do. Credit is given where ever it came from. The people inteviewed appears to be a couple thousand(I could not find a total and my eyes are to old to count them) I was surprised not to see Billy Smith listed as a source. I have about 70 bios of Elvis and none is definitive. I would say read all you can (even the bad ones ) and judge the best you can for your self because as Elvis said "If you haven't walked in that mans shoes. or seen thru his eye..."

International Level

Cool

KPM, I dont have my copy near me at the moment, so I cant go through it that much!

I don't think that Careless Love is the definitive biography of Elvis that
    Guralnick's journalistic friends hyped in their reviews.

It's nothing but a huge re-hash of other books only Guralnick makes the mistake
    of putting his own personal spin on things and he's way off base. He has a
    bunch of wrong data, dates, times, people, etc..

For instance; Guranlick suggests that it was not only Parker who did not want to pursue the Barbara Streisand movie "A Star is Born." While Elvis
    showed great interest in the project initially, it's Guranlick's feeling that overtime Elvis lost interest. Additionally, it is suggested that Streisand tried to take advantage of Elvis from a business point of view; sign him to a contract worth much less than he deserved.I don't believe it was time changing Elvis' mind. It was just the very next day that Parker killed it. Guralnick was led around by the nose by Parker, the same thing happened to Jerry Hopkins when he wrote his books.Thatt was Parker's favorite line, " it wasn't me, Elvis was the one who didn't want to do it!" he used that line whenever anyone questioned him about something that might have been good for Elvis that he killed. Funny thing is he only used it after Elvis died.He was afraid Streisand would inform Elvis a lot about business and that there were people standing in line to make deals with Elvis and/or represent him if he would break away from Parker. Parker would not expose him to people like that in fear of losing control.

One more comment about the Guralnick book. He writes that despite all
    the weight he lost, Elvis looked "strangely bloated" during the Aloha
    from Hawaii special, and that his expression during the show was
    "glazed and unfocused."And that shows how bad Guralnick's opinions and critiques are. The fact is, that Elvis was in great shape, condition, and spirits for weeks before the trip to Hawaii, during the trip for the rehearsals and the actual two tapings and the night after the show.

Guranlick accepted a very generous advance (said by one of his close associates to be $50,000 -- a figure Guralnick did not deny when confronted by a Memphis jurnalist) from EPE to do a future book BEFORE he even started writing "Careles Love". I was recently told Guralnick paid the publisher of "Revelations of the Memphis Mafia" an extra $750 for the excesses "borrowed" from that book.
    But the main thing to keep in mind is -- when he sat down to write "Careless Love," he was already under contract with EPE to develop another book for EPE. He borrows far too much from other books.

Careless Love sold 50,000 Worldwide by 2002, don't know what it is now, but it wasnt a mega seller. In comparison, "Elvis; What Happened?" sold 12 million copies worldwide, it is the best selling Elvis book of all time.

I do agree with you though; read as many books from as many sources as possible, although I do think people should read books from those around Elvis first and then move onto books like Guarnlicks - but if anyone can read Alanna Nash's books. They are brilliant.

To tell you the truth I have read Sonny West say Elvis was down to 165 for Aloha and if you look at him in the waist there is no way hes 165. 180 -185 he probably was 165 or 170 for the 69, 70, 71 dates but not on Aloha. As to the taking from other books as long as it is in the bibliography as coming from them
    theres nothing wrong with it. Pick up any book about any person and you'll find many pages of acknowledgements. Elvis :What Happened was never a hardback It was a paperback and I got mine in 77 at K-mart for $2.59. After the initial month it went down to $1.99 on sale. I think K-mart ordered the largest paperback order in history up to that time. The hardback books were around $29.99(to stiff for me) I got mine when the big paperback s came out for $9.99
    I'm not trying to argue I just think any writer is going to make mistakes and assumptions based on what he or she has uncovered.

International Level
    I understand what your saying. It's just I feel that he is not very objective in the telling of the story, thats all! I had a pretty long winded way of getting round to it also!

Priscilla's concern for Elvis' image can be summed (no pun intended) up in three words.....MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!!!
    If your an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary....
    If your not, no explanation is possible!

You know I read all these books so long ago, they kind of blend together, I remember points and forget where they came from. I guess it would not hurt to re-read a bunch of them to know where what came from. A lot of things are basically the same but points of view and personal stories differ. I have noticed Lamar Fike always seems to have a more negative view of Elvis compared to some others. He tempers it with a disclaimer of sorts, but the drift is almost always negative. Schillings is upbeat and pretty much stays away from dirt or gossip(but hes associated with the estate on and off) I think you could view Elvis as a saint or a sinner depending on who you get the story from and how its told.
    And the facts could be the same, its just point of view and how its presented. Ususally the truth is in the middle, not always but a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 0349054
    I don't think that Careless Love is the definitive biography of Elvis that
    Guralnick's journalistic friends hyped in their reviews.
    Totally agree.

Nevertheless, the scale of the book - even if much of it is stitched together from other publications/interviews previously done - is to be commended.

He writes that despite all
    the weight he lost, Elvis looked "strangely bloated" during the Aloha
    from Hawaii special, and that his expression during the show was
    "glazed and unfocused."And that shows how bad Guralnick's opinions and critiques are. The fact is, that Elvis was in great shape, condition, and spirits for weeks before the trip to Hawaii, during the trip for the rehearsals and the actual two tapings and the night after the show.
    I actually find the truth to be a mixture of your opinion and Guralnick's.

Have you ever seen any pictures of Elvis sitting inside the helicopter just before/as it touches down? His eyes definitely look drawn and vacant. When he gets out of the helicopter, he practically blanks the Hawaiian girl that's dancing to greet him. Then he does a short interview with that reporter - and if you've heard it, you'll know he gave fairly indifferent, monosyllabic answers. Now, while these latter two observations could be dismissed as a man simply impatient to greet the crowd and even the first observation could be dismissed as Elvis merely being pensive, I have to wonder... There's just something different. That fire, that passion is still inside of Elvis - but something is obscuring it. It takes more on stage to unleash it. He no longer has the energy or enthusiasm of 1968, 1969 or even 1970. Rocking numbers like C.C. Rider, Burning Love and Suspicious Minds are wheeled off with such a dispassion that Elvis really doesn't seem bothered about even ATTEMPTING to deliver them as he only he could. Then there are the distant expressions on songs like "It's Over" (admittedly, an emotional song - but he looks genuinely depressed in parts) and a failure, despite what appears to be joyfulness while performing it, to fully articulate the words on "Johnny B. Goode". There are also a frightening number of mistakes made during the rehearsal concert. At times, it seems like Elvis' mind is elsewhere.

I've even read somewhere - though this could be completely false - that Elvis was strung out on his balcony the following day/evening. If true, this couldn't be more damaging. A man that should be on top of the world experiencing the depths of despair! Perhaps he was reflecting on his divorce, perhaps he was thinking ahead to his Vegas commitment, but one thing's for certain - this wasn't the bright, bouyant and totally driven artist of five years earlier!

Now, don't get me wrong here: I LOVE Aloha. Elvis really does tear through many songs and clearly experiences many moments of ecstasy. It's a solid hour of groundbreaking entertainment. But Elvis had just had another birthday and formalised the divorce papers - this was surely affecting him for the worse. Moreover, he didn't seem too bothered about his appearance in 1972 - when he was going in front of high resolution film cameras! What does that tell you? As much as it appeared that he had got back on track for Aloha, there was something else going on. A person suffering the severe depression that gripped Elvis doesn't just get over it. He was depressed in 1972 and depressed in 1973; Aloha is sandwiched right in the middle and does not represent an Elvis at his peak publically or privately.

But again, that's not to say it doesn't have things to cherish - it surely does! It's its own thing: good and bad. It even has things to offer that the Comeback Special doesn't and vice versa. But it's not above criticism, and in the arc of Guralnick's narrative, I think he gives it the assessment it's due. He's not necessarily towing the EPE line as much as he's honestly giving his views. Guralnick is lamenting the "unmaking" of a great talent, and in this context, he is surely right to be speaking negatively by 1973 - a year that ended with a bizarre outburst by Elvis on stage and would be topped by an even stranger one the following year! Guralnick isn't us and we are not Guralnick. I think his views are ultimately sensible - if shaped by the subjective biases that human minds are wont to make.

Anyway, back to your regular programming.

Speaking of which, I'd like to add a point to your very incisive "Priscilla" list!

A few things that Priscilla has done which dont garner favour with me are;

- Convincing Vernon to make her executeur of Elvis' will following his own death, even though Elvis had never expressed a wish for Priscilla to be involved in his will or the management of his estate.

- Her treatment of Elvis' relations once she assumed control of the Estate. Far too much to get into here, but suffice to say she upset a lot of Presley's. Aunt Delta never spoke highly of her until the day she herself died.

- Her redecoration of Elvis' home to the way it was when her and Elvis were together. Graceland is not as Elvis left it. She has redecorated.

- Her manipulation of Guarnlicks biography of Elvis to a pro-EPE stance; although since they paid for it I guess it was to be expected.

- Her sometimes fictional autobiographical book; Elvis and Me.

- The amount of Beaulieus who are now involved with EPE and making a living off of Elvis' name and legacy. Elvis had nothing to do with them from 72'.

- Her donations to Scientology. The reason I list it is that her main income is from the estate and it is from this income that she donates money to a religion which Elvis expressed severe distate for.
    As much as I love "Elvis by the Presleys" for its tasteful presentation and archive material (video footage and audio snippets!), the very title is a contradiction: as you've pointed out, Priscilla is really a "Beaulieu", not a Presley! What's more, her parents pull some odd and, to my mind, false expressions throughout their segments! For every bit of truthfulness in "Elvis by the Presleys", there's a fair amount of treachery and deceit in evidence! However, this takes the cake... The special opens with a chapter called "Elvis: Meeting Priscilla", and as if that wasn't enough, then proceeds with a second chapter called, "Elvis: Introducing Mrs Presley". The whole thing is VERY one-sided. For better or worse, Elvis' legacy is now firmly in the hands of this woman. The Colonel may have grabbed Elvis by the neck - but Priscilla has him by the balls. As that song goes, "the female of the species is more deadly than the male..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast