Thread: For The Record #2

For The Record #2

Elvis first heard the phrase Taking Care of Business on an NBC special featuring Diana Ross and the Supremes and the Temptations. Elvis decided to make "TCB" his motto and had jewelry designed by jeweler Lee Ableseron of Los Angeles. The letters were mounted over a lightening bolt, probably based on the lightening symbol on the comic-book character Captain Marvel, Jr.'s costume. All members of the Memphis Mafia were given ID bracelets with the logo and their nicknames. Elvis' backup band in the 70's was called the TCB Band. He also gave jewelry to women with the lettering TLC and the lightening bolt, for "Tender Loving Care." Elvis was buried wearing a diamond TCB ring.

From the book by Frank Coffey

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Yes the lightning bolt meant "in a flash" at superhuman speed. He wanted things done when he wanted them not tomorrow. It became a symbol of the inner circle. The guys who first got them weren't happy when he began to give them to people they considered"outsiders" But by then it was more a symbol of Elvis thinking someone was special in some way. It was his way of acknowledgeing that specialness.

Looks like he hardly ever wore one himself, though -- the necklace, I mean. I know he was wearing one in pictures from a wedding in December, 1970 (with the velvet suit and gold belt), not too long after he had the logo made up, but I can't recall seeing him with it on in too many other photos. Don't think he ever wore it on stage.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

The first TCB worn by ELvis was given back to the jeweler who made them for him. He later made a diamond encrusted one for Elvis in 1971, it was larger and heavier than the first one. He had special black onyx one made for Sammy Davis and a blue stone one for Tom Jones. Why he did not wear his very often I'm not sure. I know he had a habit of giving things away , maybe he kept giving them, right off his neck, to people,

Thanks for your interesting stories.

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...