Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: famous fans

famous fans

as we all know elvis has got many fans out there who are famous in there own right.i would like to ask in youre opinion,who you think,out of these fans gives the best publicity to the elvis image. a few years ago i would have said that tom jones always spoke about elvis in a good light,in recent times,however,i feel tom has been dis-respectfull to the king,this i feel is jealousy on his part,because everytime he gets interviewed the interveiwer always asks about elvis almost straight away,giving the impression that he is more interested in elvis related subjects than tom himself.i think people like jonathon ross,eamon holmes,bono ect say very good things about elvis everytime they are asked about him

im interested in what other peoples thoughts are on this subject
    LETS BE FRIENDS!

There are a lot of musical people who were/are big fans. These spring to mind...

- Bruce Springsteen: Climbed the gates of Graceland in Elvis' lifetime, made it to the front door - only to find that Elvis wasn't in.

- Bob Dylan: At least to the extent that he said Elvis' version of his song, "Tomorrow Is A Long Time", was the best cover anyone had ever done of his material.

- John Lennon: "Before Elvis, there was nothing". All The Beatles were fans in their own way, I believe. George Harrison admitted in recent times that "Trying To Get To You" - as performed by Elvis - was his all-time favourite song.

- Frank Sinatra: Originally opposed to Elvis and his rock n roll kind, Sinatra gained a newfound respect for Elvis when they performed together in 1960. When Elvis died, Sinatra remarked that the world had lost a great man and that he had lost a great friend.

- Liam Gallagher: The front man of Oasis (FANTASTIC BAND! ) has a TCB tattoo on his right arm.

Plenty of other celebrity fans, too...

Jimmy Carter was American president when Elvis died and had become friends with him in the years leading up to his death. He delivered a beautiful eulogy when Elvis passed away (one of my all-time favourite statements about EP).

Elvis got Bill Belew to design Muhammad Ali a special boxing cape in the style of his own. Unfortunately, when he gave it to Ali, he went on to lose the fight and never wore it again.

I read somewhere that American icon John Wayne attended one of Elvis' concerts at Vegas. Many celebrity figures watched Elvis perform live at some point or another (John Lennon famously attended one of Elvis' New York concerts).

British comedian Frank Skinner who comes from my home city has been a fan all his life. Several years ago, he did a one-off documentary for ITV in which he attempted to verify the authenticity of a shirt he'd purchased at auction; had it or had it not belonged to Elvis? He travelled to Memphis and other parts of America meeting people like Dave Hebler and Scotty Moore as he did so.

By all accounts, the Japanese Prime Minister is a massive Elvis fan. Truly, there is something global about his appeal.

All of this is somewhat surprising to me - considering how many people I know personally have no interest WHATSOEVER in him. Anyway you slice it, Elvis is still incredibly popular - but the day-to-day apathy I encounter f*cks me off sometimes. Then again, I occasionally meet someone who turn out to be a huge fan. So it all evens itself out in the end, I suppose.

This is definitely an interesting topic to see the length and breadth of Elvis' appeal. I may be writing an essay on the matter for my English degree (we have a module on American Culture) in the coming months. Threads like this are appreciated!

Christopher Walken is a big Elvis fan, he wrote a play in 1994 called "Him" which was a satirical look at Elvis in the afterlife. He has been a fan for years. I'm sure everyone knows Dylan was and Tom Petty. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are . Eric Clapton once said about Elvis "Anyone whos ever strapped on a guitar has fantasized about being him" Brian Wilson was a big fan. Many, many people loved Elvis. Phil Spector said, "Most people do not know how great he is, I can't even tell you why, he can sing anything in any style"
    I know the frustation of meeting people who just do not like him(and knowing they really have never listened to anything except Hound Dog or Love Me Tender and think hes just a dead guy known for white jumpsuits. ) I also get tired of he never wrote his own songs. Until Rock singers did not write. It was in the 60s that a lot of artists did their own songs. The point of music is to entertain and get people to feel something-whether you wrote it or interpeted it.

Backstage Pass
    i heard nicolas cage is an avid elvis fan, is that why he married lisa marie? does anyone know, i;m curious
    ADRIANNA

International Level

Cool

I believe thats why he married her.

One of his famous quotes which she found out, was; " I nailed the King's daughter!"

That doesent bother me, the fact he got upstairs in Graceland does! While at the Candlelight Vigil in 2002 a few in the crowd said to me they believed Lisa, Pris and Nick were up in Elvis' bedroom looking out.

I don't know if they were, I didn't see them, I was looking but didnt see.

One thing I did notice though, which differed from other times I've been around the mansion, was a very noticeable smell of Southern Cooking eminating from the house. And boy did it smell good! Mary Jenkins knew how to cook from what I smelt that evening!
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Backstage Pass
    i think thats really assinine of nick, i mean, just to go upstairs! i mean he doesnt deserve an amazing person like lisa!! she rox!!! i think thats rude of him.
    ADRIANNA

Freddie Mercury: (although John Lennon & Jimi Hendrix were his real heroes)
    Jim Morrison: (he urged Jerry Hopkins to write a biography about Elvis which he did, he also dedicated the book to Jim)
    Clint Eastwood: Attended several performances in Lake Tahoe en Vegas.
    Lee Majors: Played a lot of football with him during the Hollywood years.
    Burt Reynolds: They shared a common sence of humor.
    Joe Cocker: Called him the greatest blues singer in the world.
    Paul Simon: Attended one of the Madison Square Garden performances and cried during Elvis redention of "Bridge Over Troubled Water".
    David Bowie: Took a fast plane from London to get in time for the Madison Square Garden performances.
    Don Johnson: Do I need to explain this?
    Kurt Russell: In every movie he played in is something of Elvis.
    Jack Lord: Gave him a special customized belt in July 1972 which Elvis used during the November tour of that year. On his arrival for Aloha Elvis gave him the first belt and cape of the "Aloha Suit".
    Michael Talbott: Played Stanley Switek in Miami Vice. Was an Elvis fan in the show and for real.
    Jerry Reed: Composer of "Guitar Man" and co-star in many Burt Reynolds fims met him in the studio in 1967 and said: "Gawd, you must be the prettiest thing I ever saw!"
    Sir Cliff Richard: Became the Elvis of the UK and much more.
    Johnny Cash: They musically grew up together.
    Elton John: Trew up of sheer nervousness while meeting Elvis in 1976.
    Gram Parsons: Country Rock singer who even used a part of Elvis' TCB band for his two solo albums in 1972 & 1973.
    Neil Diamond: Even got as far to buy the house next to Elvis in LA to be close.
    Nancy Sinatra: Was madly in love with him from the beginning of the sixties. Elvis should have married her.

Did I left someone out????

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by 0349054
    I believe thats why he married her.

One of his famous quotes which she found out, was; " I nailed the King's daughter!"

That doesent bother me, the fact he got upstairs in Graceland does! While at the Candlelight Vigil in 2002 a few in the crowd said to me they believed Lisa, Pris and Nick were up in Elvis' bedroom looking out.

I don't know if they were, I didn't see them, I was looking but didnt see.

One thing I did notice though, which differed from other times I've been around the mansion, was a very noticeable smell of Southern Cooking eminating from the house. And boy did it smell good! Mary Jenkins knew how to cook from what I smelt that evening!
    They should have come down and met the fans, I don`t like Priscillas parents but at least they took part in the candlelight vigil.

Cadillac King
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphisgurl
    i think thats really assinine of nick, i mean, just to go upstairs! i mean he doesnt deserve an amazing person like lisa!! she rox!!! i think thats rude of him.
    Whats amazing about her except for being Elvis`s daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    Christopher Walken is a big Elvis fan, he wrote a play in 1994 called "Him" which was a satirical look at Elvis in the afterlife. He has been a fan for years. .
    Is there any way to get ahold of that play--I'd like to read it!

I don't know. I read that in an inteview on the Web and it was in the background info the reporter did. Try doing a search on Walken and the name of the play "Him" Its suppose to be funny and satirical.

I met Bono in the bar of his hotel in Dublin, and taked about Elvis with him...
    Indeed he's a big fan, and really loves his 70's period...
    It was an amazing moment for me i could talk about some live recordings of the 70's he never knew, and he was very interested in the things i said....
    You see, E is everywhere.......
    Old Times they are not forgotten
    Johan

I know this is a really, really old topic, but Trisha Yearwood is a fan of Elvis'. She has said she wrote a letter to Elvis when she was very young asking him to marry her..........

Garth Brooks likes Elvis - What about Cher, Tanya Tucker likes Elvis......

You mean there are people who don't like Elvis???
    "We're lost in a cloud, with too much rain ~ We're trapped in a world, That's troubled with pain.....But as long as a man has the strength to dream.... He can redeem his soul and fly"

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic View Post
    Jimmy Carter was American president when Elvis died and had become friends with him in the years leading up to his death. He delivered a beautiful eulogy when Elvis passed away (one of my all-time favourite statements about EP).
    In fairness, although I'm sure Jimmy Carter may have been a fan, he did not "deliver a beautiful eulogy" when Elvis died. It was a four-sentence statement, not written by him, but issued on his behalf when Elvis passed.

"Elvis Presley's death deprives our country of a part of itself. He was unique and irreplaceable.
    More than 20 years ago, he burst upon the scene with an impact that was unprecedented and will probably never be equaled.
    His music and his personality, fusing the styles of white country and black rhythm and blues, permanently changed the face of American popular culture.
    His following was immense, and he was a symbol to people the world over of the vitality, rebelliousness, and good humor of his country."

And is there any evidence of any contact after Elvis met him as Governor of Georgia in '73?

Donny Osmond is supposed to be a huge fan as well. He said one time when they were doing a concert, Elvis came back stage and wished them all the best.

ELVIS WILL ALWAYS BE "THE KING"

boxing champ Hector Macho Camacho had an Elvis portrait over his mantle...
    Tom Schreck
    The Duffy Mysteries
    Where the hero is an Elvis fan

Kurt Russell: In every movie he played in is something of Elvis.
    [Did I left someone out???? Leroy

I'm glad this topic was opened up again. Good job, elvisfan4life! I didn't realize that Kurt Russell interjected some Elvis in each of his movies. An example?

Also, Dale, Jr. is a big fan of Elvis (and of Marilyn Monroe). There's a great clip on Youtube of Dale, Jr in his den & there's a large Elvis poster on the wall.

Backstage Pass lawdy_missclawdy's Avatar
    Tom Hanks, who by the way is my favorite actor, is a huge Elvis fan
    "It is no secret what God can do,
    and I believe there will be peace in the valley some day,
    so take my hand, precious lord, lead me and guide me."

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l4...is/twoebut.gif Please visit (:

In the movie "Elvis has Left the Building" Tom Hanks has a cameo as the head of a dead Elvis imitator in a mailbox. Its pretty funny, we had to go back and slow-mo to make sure it was him.

Backstage Pass lawdy_missclawdy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    In the movie "Elvis has Left the Building" Tom Hanks has a cameo as the head of a dead Elvis imitator in a mailbox. Its pretty funny, we had to go back and slow-mo to make sure it was him.
    Yes, that was pretty funny
    I was amazed that he, being the great actor that he is, would star as an mailbox-Elvis-impersonator in a movie like "Elvis has Left the Building"!

But his love for Elvis shows in several of his movies. In "Cast Away" he lives in Memphis, and a lot of Elvis-songs are played in the movie. And in the beginning of the movie he gives a litte boy a cd with Elvis, and says: "Here. Elvis Presley. 50.000.000 Elvis fans can't be wrong", or something like that

And in "Forrest Gump" there's the scene where Elvis is sitting in Forrest's room. By the way, Kurt Russell stars in that movie too, but only as Elvis' voice
    "It is no secret what God can do,
    and I believe there will be peace in the valley some day,
    so take my hand, precious lord, lead me and guide me."

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l4...is/twoebut.gif Please visit (:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast