Thread: Duets album

Duets album

What do most of you think about a Duets album? Elvis's songs like
    Proud Mary redone with John Fogerty singing and playing in a remix.
    Yesterday - McCartney Tomorrows Such A Long Time-Dylan etc
    Each artist could produce their own song to be used in the album. I think it would help introduce Elvis more to young people who may have a narrow view of him. With updated music to get a more contemporary sound. Country artists like Travis Tritt, or Hank Williams Jr on more country material. Ray Charles did it before he died. Sinatra had a couple big albums of Duets. Wiht modern recording methods of being to isolate individual phrases and voices I think they could do totally different songs perhaps. My thought on it is Elvis needs to be kept in front of the young people. The remix ALLC showed how that can affect his sales and stature.

duets album

i think if it's done right with the right artists it would be a good idea KPM

If a possible "Duets Album" would be done properly and with good care of the chosen songs or artists it would be a good idea. But not to keep Elvis interesting for a young audience. They have to discover Elvis as he was, on his own terms. He still has it in him to do that. Just by being Elvis Presley.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    If a possible "Duets Album" would be done properly and with good care of the chosen songs or artists it would be a good idea. But not to keep Elvis interesting for a young audience. They have to discover Elvis as he was, on his own terms. He still has it in him to do that. Just by being Elvis Presley.
    I am 50 and have been a fan for about 40 years. My kids are 19, 21 and 23. They have been exposed to Elvis all their lives and have an appreciation for him but no drive to listen to him-until the ALLC remix then they wanted to borrow some of my cds and albums to listen to some of his other recordings. Thats where I got the idea. When Elvis was alive he reached new generations, POWERED by the fact that he was here. Its much harder to reach each generation as time goes on. Some kids get it by just seeing an old film or hearing a song -others who are more jaded just don't give him a chance. Seeing how the remix affected my kids is what gave me the idea.

yes, let the younger fans discover Elvis like we did, just pure...and like he was..
    no remixes.....
    But IF there will be an album with nowadays artists, maybe i have this thought : Bono with "Can't help falling in love" in a full duet with E...

Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    I am 50 and have been a fan for about 40 years. My kids are 19, 21 and 23. They have been exposed to Elvis all their lives and have an appreciation for him but no drive to listen to him-until the ALLC remix then they wanted to borrow some of my cds and albums to listen to some of his other recordings. Thats where I got the idea. When Elvis was alive he reached new generations, POWERED by the fact that he was here. Its much harder to reach each generation as time goes on. Some kids get it by just seeing an old film or hearing a song -others who are more jaded just don't give him a chance. Seeing how the remix affected my kids is what gave me the idea.
    There are a lot of examples where younger audiences discovered Elvis without the need to adjust his music. But it's a matter of time (to use an Elvis title). You can't force people to get into Elvis. Especially today's youth. They are too restless. But in time they will open temselves up to new experiences and then..... there's a time for Elvis. I became an Elvis fan when I was eleven. My girlfriend became an admirer on her 19th.
    You know what helps? Show them "That's The Way It Is" and "On Tour". Play the 1969 recordings and the album of "That's The Way It Is". But.....keep away from the hits. They will turn non Elvis fans away. Play music they don't expect from Elvis like "If You Talk In Your Sleep".
    Many times I have witnessed non believers in fans because I told them that was Elvis. Their jaws dropped open.

Cadillac King
    just to assure you...i'm from the younger audience. i say release it now if its gonna happen, i think younger ones(including me) have had enough chnace to find out about E. i mean, llook at the explosion of products in the last 3 years ( i sure came along at the right time) i say, do it now. i'd love it, before everybody gets too old

BTW, this month marks my 3rd year as an E fan, and i am so **** proud of it
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    There are a lot of examples where younger audiences discovered Elvis without the need to adjust his music. But it's a matter of time (to use an Elvis title). You can't force people to get into Elvis. Especially today's youth. They are too restless. But in time they will open temselves up to new experiences and then..... there's a time for Elvis. I became an Elvis fan when I was eleven. My girlfriend became an admirer on her 19th.
    You know what helps? Show them "That's The Way It Is" and "On Tour". Play the 1969 recordings and the album of "That's The Way It Is". But.....keep away from the hits. They will turn non Elvis fans away. Play music they don't expect from Elvis like "If You Talk In Your Sleep".
    Many times I have witnessed non believers in fans because I told them that was Elvis. Their jaws dropped open.
    Like I said some young people do get it with one song, one piece of film, but most do not. If they did Elvis #One cd would have sold 5 or 6 million instead of 3 in the US at the time of release, it would have sold 15 million worldwide instead of 9. You are right about restless, but they would not consider Elvis a new experience-they THINK they already know him-whitejumpsuit Thank YOu , Thank You very much, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, father of Lisa....
    My kids have seen TTWII, EOT, 68 special, Aloha and just about every movie he made. Like I said they saw his talent but were not grabbed, until the remix! ( and some of there teen friends liked it and bought it) I do not mean to try to dismiss who he was, I mean it as a way, like the remix, to introduce them to him.
    Some people think the remix was not a good thing, because it changed the sound some. Elvis changed his sound about every 5 years. Go from 55 to 60 he changed. 60 to 67 another change in sound and his vocal ability. in 68 to73 huge change, better players, more modern charts, and more emphasis on total sound quality. I think this is a logical step. If there were more unreleased new songs then I would say just update them and release it without any outside artists-until you run out of the unreleased material-then a Duets somewhere down the road. unfortunately we all know unreleased new material is down to nothing.(except the things like the Roustabout alt. title song) In 67 I remember the lul for a few years of big Elvis hits. Most my friends thought he was over the hill, it took the 68 special where Elvis seemed new, and current to them with the Black Leather and Memoris and especially If I Can Dream. Then In The Ghetto, Wonder OF You. Then they were willing to look and listen to him that was 1968 when he was still a live presense-it still took an updating of some kind for his fan base to grow. Thats all I'm thinking. If I did not have my kids and there friends who come over I would have no basis for thinking this way. But I see with my own eyes and hear what they think. But to be truthful I'm not sure BMG would go to the trouble of setting up the complicated process of getting People like Bono(good idea) or Springstein, McCartney... to do this. They would rather keep re-releasing with new artworkand slight cleanup of tracks. Its more profit. I want to see them go to the trouble of producing a quality album with push on that album, barring new material, Duets seems the best bet. My opinion anyway.

Cadillac King
    exactly right! its always the image! the one in parodies and cartoons. i remember one time i was in a shop looking at the new 68 comeback special, which did not have a parodic kind of cover, and a guy just s******ed at me. they think he's the image that is parodied, how god**** wrong they are!
    we give em a chance to see the real Elvis, but that parody image always blocks the way. oh it makes me so friggin pissed off!!!
    if they only knew the kind of music like 'hi heel sneakers', 'good time charlies got the blues'. years ago, the new remixes were released, they only worsened the parody of Elvis. they need to get a really stonking great song like maybe 'you've lost that loving feelin' for single release or something like that. the public need to see, hear, and know the REAL Elvis!!!!!!!

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Thats why I have never really cared for the impersonators. They are a parody even the good ones do not come close to the voice, look, or chrisma of him. Every time I hear Thank you, thank you very much, by someone I get sick at my stomach. The trouble is its hard to go past that well worn image now with him gone. He is not hear to combat that image in hte flesh, by new releases and new movies or concerts. The Duets thing, could show how many people of todays music, and recent music feel about him-in essence giving him new credibility-combating the joke. I would hope whoever would like to get involved would try to update- but not change- what made him great. Whenever Elvis got involved with new influences good things happened. His last re-mix Rubberneckin sold pretty well but could get no MTV play nor VH-1 for the video. It got very little US airplay even thou it was selling well. The Duet, would have a living artist involved who they could not just say IGNORE IT. Exposure to new kids is hard if they won't play it. A McCartney single is always given a shot on radio and video so is Bono U2 single , so is a Springstein single. Thats what we want for Elvis in some way or form to get the kids to see him in a new light. New light does not change what you see, only how well you see it.

I'm with Leroy, Elvis is "The One and Only" no duets with other singers. No one can sing it like Elvis!

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Well if the duets is not a good idea, how would you guys combat the majority ot the publics view of him- the parody? I want him, by the majority of people, to be seen in the same light as Beatles, Dylan, etc and the truth is most do not. I hear it all the time he did'nt write, was not a good musician, made terrible movies. It is aggravating when you know he is so much more talented and should be listed at least equal to the above. my daughter is in college but works at a cd/video/game store. I can tell you she tells me the Elvis buyers are very few, and the ones who do come in are not young people. The crew there is 20 to 25ish and they number about 23 people on the payroll, except my daughter, when I talk to them- they no NOTHING about Elvis except the parody image. They also, almost to a person tell me he was a a stepping stone to the 60s, He made movies, and sold a lot of records. But they can't name anything but Hound Dog or LOve me Tender. I have been an Elvis fan 40+ years and it is unacceptable to hear this stuff. I'm just looking for a away to get them to take more notice- to investigate the true talent not accept the parody. I have suggested this idea to the estate and BMG and the only responce I got is "Its a great idea, but so much legal rangling is involved in a project like this that it is not under consideration" They go on to point out it took years to get clearances for the Million Dollar Quartet release.

There is only "one" Elvis, but I think it would be interesting to hear some duet versions of his songs. It might turn out to be pretty cool? This should not be focused on presenting his music to a younger audience, though.

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Take a read of the" Need pictures for lecture" post on the forum. This is what I'm talking about . THis young man has got it, he sees the talent, chrisma, and all but classmates see him as weird.

Cadillac King
    can i punch out all his classmates?

POW!!

Do you all know the Verve Mix and un Mix Cd?s?

Well, I guess both parties here are right, people need to hear Elvis in his own terms, but the duest proyect could be great if its done by the right artist...

So I say it will be a double CD, Cd1 the duets stuff; Cd2 the original versions...

I know what you mean with that story with your girlfriend Leroy, something similar happend to me; Im 25, been a fan since seven or so, my girlfriend is 19, shes into '60 stuff you know the Doors, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, early Led Zeppelin, I Like that stuff to... anyway I ones put a Cd on my car, a Cd that I made, there it stuff from las vegas 69, tracks like: Baby What YOu Want Me To Do, Reconsider Baby, My Babe, stuff from On Stage like: See Rider, Polk Salad Annie, Proud Mary, there it was some track from the american like Stranger in My Own HOme Town, Only the Stong Survive...very unknown Elvis tracks for a non audience. So I was driving and she was really enjoing the music, then she told me how good that Cd was, she asked who he was, she had no clue, so I told her who the man was, and that was it, instant respect and interest for the Man. She became a fan when she hear Elvis Blues sides, and latter the folk sides like the Elvis versions of TOmorrow is a Long tIme, DOnt think twice Its All rIght, and Early Mornign Rain, being her a Peter Paul and Mary Fan as well as a Dylan Fan.

But thats something that just happened, Im not at all with that thimg of make people converted haha... I leave that to the fundamentalist that make our world a nightmare.

The duets idea could be something good done right, but the best choice its would be simple as RCa releasing diferent projects than, Love sOngs and greatest hits compilations, givin more chance to projects that showcase other Elvis more artistic sides.

I have full faith in Elvis's music to reach people. But if we the day in day. out fan want to see things like people clamor for liKe EOT dvd done right, TTWII dvd with some of the hours of extra footage we know they have-bottom line someone besides us has to buy it. Personally I would like to see a lot of the good 8 mm fan films cleaned up and dubbed by professionals who can mix sound with computers and digital counters etc. But it will never happen the way it should without a market bigger than now (just us die hard fans). They say working on anything which might expand Elvis's fan base is to expensive. The last few years we ELvis fans have had a pretty good run. RCA and the estate saw the sales for a remix which at first was'nt even official. BMG did 30#1s and did it pretty well they actually had a push on for the release and kept it in the publics eye. New remix Rubberneckin did not do as well, sold less -Second to None not as much push, less sales. They had not really got behind an Elvis release for 10 years till ALLC made them notice. If his sales stay mainly just us, then the great extras we all want(dvds and footage not seen, dubbing 8mm properly, better production of ELvis product , proper respect accorded his talent by others) are not as profitable and no big rush will be there to do them. When Elvis exploded everything he did was a first, we here see how great that was and we know how it rippled down to music of today. But we are looking for the connections. With even the big bang of our universe the farther out in time it gets, the less the noticeable the ripple. I want to see more younger fans for a selfish reason, so that money, time ,and effort are spent on things we want to see and hear. Because the facts of life are(and I do not like it anymore than anyone else) if the big companys BMG, MGM Turner, EPE do not make large profit on an item they will not expend the capital to produce quality product. But this is just my thoughts.

Cadillac King
    Raised on rock, awesome, beautiful story

Cadillac King
    If Sony/BMG wants to do one, fine. But I won't buy it.