Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A New Appreciation For Elvis in 1972!!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

A New Appreciation For Elvis in 1972!!

Being the avid 1977 Elvis fan that I am, lately I find myself really unearthing a new found appreciation for Elvis in 1972!!

Of course the biggest reason for this is the many discussions we've had here on the board regarding the ELVIS ON TOUR OUTTAKES that have surfaced recently! And it's the discussion of those outtakes that has sparked my renewed interest in 1972!! I've had a chance to go back and watch the original ELVIS ON TOUR recently, and just regained my excitement over what a tremendous movie it truly is!

I've been listening to the April show from San Antonio (Disc 4 on the CLOSE UP box set) and really digging it....Elvis was really geared up for that show!! His voice sounded fantastic and he had such tremendous energy...as he does throughout most of the year!! I've gone back to re-listen to the Madison Square Garden shows and have garnered a new appreciation of those...the song selections, the quality of the shows, Elvis spirit and voice during the shows...absolutely TREMENDOUS!!!! There were so many different songs that Elvis worked into his shows throughout the year...many songs that would remain with Elvis throughough the remainder of his life (YOU GAVE ME A MOUNTAIN, BURNING LOVE, HOW GREAT THOU ART, etc.) and others that would pretty much fade into the back of the Elvis catalog, so to speak, after 1972 (PROUD MARY, NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN, THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM, etc.). I truly can't think of another year throughout the 70's where Elvis' concert lineups seemed to vary so much from show to show, engagement to engagement!!

Anyway, I just thought I would share this with everyone in case there are other fans out there who have also recently rediscovered Elvis in 1972, thanks to the discussions about ELVIS ON TOUR and the recently discovered and released outtakes!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Wow this is a great review and I have already been excited about this year "72" and this just heightened my interest, although I have been really lovin Elvis in 72 for many a year. His voice was so strong and powerful! I want to see as I have earlier mentioned the whole uncut Elvis on Tour films. Wish they would come out with these cans of film and get started.

Thank you for talking about this wondeful year in Elvis life "1972"

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

The amounts of unreleased film material around there... hope something good will come out from that. Not just a cheap video like The lost performances, which were great performances don?t get me wrong, but the idea itself, was quite boring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lean.jpg   Poster 1.jpg  

Raised on Rock,

Wonderful photo's thanks for posting these!

Tommy

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    EP '72...Yeah, he was a pretty decent performer then.

Only kidding. Anyone else here think It's Impossible is one of the best performances of a love song by Elvis? That performance is impeccable from beginning to end--and it was recorded live! It's more often than not the powerhouse ballads that impress me the most in terms of his vocal prowess, but that song blows me away in that regard about as much as anything else. I love the feeling behind his delivery as well. His vibrato control was probably never better evidenced either.

In addition to all that, that song will always be special to me because I first heard it on the first Elvis CD I ever bought, Pure Gold, in March of '93. And it hooked me...along with the other nine tracks.

Glad to hear you're excited about your '72 revival, Mike!
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

International Level

Cool

Give me Lawdy Miss Clawdy, Never Been To Spain or Proud Mary from 72'! One of my favourite Elvis years!
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Elvis voice on Its Imposible is impeccable, but more than that, his voice is so expresive in that track, you can feel Elvis feelings trough the flow of his voice, don?t know how to describe it... makes you feel something happening inside you chest and around your throat, some time want to escape trough your eyes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elvis On Tour.jpg   1972,_5_apr_1972_buffalo_blue_nail_suit1.jpg   1972,_5_apr_1972_buffalo_blue_nail_suit.jpg  

Blue%20Nail%2052.jpg  
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 10-05-2005 at 10:28 AM.

It was a great year to be a fan also. The On Tour movie, the 4 MSG shows sold out and then within 2 weeks the album is out and a hit. The smash hit Burning Love which showed he could still make a contemporary rock song.(which many critics were complaining about) I saw it at the Grand theater with a few friends, who were not into Elvis like I was. The fun was watching them realize how great he was and admitting later there was a lot more talent than they knew of. Great year all around.

WOW Raised on Rock!

Thank you again for the wonderful 72 photos of Elvis!

Tommy

KPM,

Was that CD MSG "An Evening at the Garden" because I am wanting to purhase this CD?

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    I love the feeling behind his delivery...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raised On Rock
    his voice is so expresive in that track...
    Yes, that is precisely what I mean! People who hear that in Elvis' voice--and it's hard not to--can't help but connect with it. Whether you might imagine Elvis singing that to you, or you relate to the perspective of the person conveying the message of the song, one way or another it almost has to resonate within.

The four words as sung by Elvis, "Can I hold you"...I don't have the words to do the delivery of that line justice, but I will say that if they don't strike a chord with you, then you were obviously born without a soul.

Great pictures! great story! now we only can hope that the On Tour movie will be released before we all get to old to got the record store
    btw, i tried to colorize one of the pictures, hope you all like this color version...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1972%2c_5_apr_1972_buffalo_blue_nail_suit.jpg  

Looks fantastic, Patrick!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    KPM,

Was that CD MSG "An Evening at the Garden" because I am wanting to purhase this CD?

Tommy
    No it was the original MSG album from 72 . It hit stores about 2 weeks after the 4 concerts. Had a lot of radio ads for it back then with sound bites. The Afternoon CD just came out in the late 90s.

Cadillac King
    Tommy, i'll help u out again my friend

there have been 2 officially recorded live shows released from these shows. the Elvis as recorded at madison square album, which is a killer performance if you don't have it. but i'm told the 'an afternoon in the garden' cd is much better performance wise,and sound wise. i do however have the killer performances of reconsider baby, and i'll remember u. also the 50s songs, funny how time slips away, and never been to spain from that show on various cds, so from that i can say that its very good.
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Thank you KPM for the info

Tommy

elvisdownunder Hello

Thank you for the information about the CD's!

Your help is greatly appreciated

Tommy

Patrick,

Your colorized photo is awesome!

Thank you for this one my friend,

Tommy

Hello Patrick,

Love your film clip also!!!

Tommy

Cadillac King
    to you Tommy, ANYTIME you need help, do not hesitate, i'll be glad to help

geez, you've done a lot of posts in little time i'v been here a year and i have'nt even made 200, well done
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast