Thread: Discussion of the song: "Until It's Time For You To Go"

Arrow Discussion of the song: "Until It's Time For You To Go"

I'm too lazy to look this up: when did Elvis record it? His voice sounds very fragile here. I'm guessing the last 2-3 years of his life.

What's bugging me about this recording is that I found TWO mistakes! Argh. Elvis.

At the 2:14 mark, Elvis sings... "UN-STILL I'll stay..." I'm sure he meant to say "And so...", but was thinking ahead to the title line, "Until It's Time..." Hehe. Don't you love this naked human fallibility?

At the 3:25 mark, he again seems to flub: "Yes, I'll.... F-STAY"... Or something similar. Aint it remarkable?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. He messed this song up - plain and simple. One mistake would be bearable but two is disconcerting. Yet as already stated, it shows his human side. If a little too much for my liking.

Your thoughts on these issues and any others, please!

Elvis recorded it in 1971, on May 17 to be exact. I think if you would listen very close you would discover more of this mishaps. Sometimes he made a mistake and decided to record his vocals again but when it came to that he was not in the mood for any recording. So RCA used what they had, in this case with these mistakes.

Listen closely to "Indescribably Blue". Somewhere in the last part he starts laughing but managed to controll himself. I discovered that when I was listening to some of his home recordings. He's singing along with his recording of this song started to laugh about his laughing.

UNTIL IT?S TIME is a nice Country/Folk song, very "fragile" as you said. I particulary like the undubbed outtake from "Essential vol. 4". It?s a shame he never finished his FOLK ALBUM project. Just imagine :

1 I shall be released
    2 early mornin? rain
    3 Help me make it through the night
    4 snowbird
    5 i?ll take you home again kathleen
    6 i will be true
    7 for lovin? me
    8 i?m leavin?
    9 the first time i ever saw your face
    10 i?ll be home on xmas day (folk blues version)
    11 it?s still here
    12 don?t think twice

"Until we meet again, God bless you and Adios."

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

International Level

Cool

Jeanno - now that's an album!

I'm going to go make a playlist of that now! Thank you!
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Coming On Strong
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    Elvis recorded it in 1971, on May 17 to be exact. I think if you would listen very close you would discover more of this mishaps. Sometimes he made a mistake and decided to record his vocals again but when it came to that he was not in the mood for any recording. So RCA used what they had, in this case with these mistakes.

Listen closely to "Indescribably Blue". Somewhere in the last part he starts laughing but managed to controll himself. I discovered that when I was listening to some of his home recordings. He's singing along with his recording of this song started to laugh about his laughing.
    On June 8th 1971 Elvis made a remake of this beautiful song which resulted in another 10 takes. The alternate master was first released in the 90's on Essentionel Elvis IV "A Hundred Years From Now" .

Cadillac King
    Until Its Time For You To Go is a beautiful song.

Mad Tigers
    I'm a huge fan of a lot of his early 70's material, but I find the studio version of this one to be fairly dry. He sounds bored out of his mind. The only version of this song I've found so far that I really enjoy is the live one on "An Afternoon In The Garden." When I want to hear this song, that's the one I play.

I only want to say: this is a wonderful song. I truly love it. It describes perfectly the relation of Elvis with his fans. Or... a couple having difficult moments... Anyway, this song is a master piece. Elvis voice = awesome.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I must agree with Jeanno that the take heard on A Hundred Years From Now is fantastic. To me it's far superior to the master.

Cryogenic, I can understand thinking this was recorded later. Although I do like the master, those two flubs do bother me a bit too. But beyond that, his voice just sounds so much clearer on the aforementioned performance.

Speaking of the vocal, it's funny that this song and Hey Jude were released on the same album. Yes, they were recorded just two years apart, but vocally, they sounded like they could have been decades apart.

And speaking of albums, , Jeanno, on your folk album. And by the way, that's essentially what FTD's final installment in the Nashville Studio B series should look like. I can't wait to hear it! The first few came out in fairly rapid succession, but now they're making us wait forever for this one, it seems like.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Actually, it being 1971 doesn't surprise me now. Of all the pre-touring-the-road years, this is the year in which Elvis' voice sometimes sounds pathetically weak and nasally. I have a recording of "Young and Beautiful" from 1971 (from Keith Flynn's site) which loses more and more lustre the higher the note that Elvis sings. It's really quite odd. I've heard he was suffering from a severe cold at some point in 1971 - and depression was starting to overtake him, too. Could these be the reasons for the sudden decline? Elvis + 1971 = least favourite year for me.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    But then on the gospel recordings from '71, his voice really shined. Ditto the tracks from '71 on A Hundred Years From Now.

That Young And Beautiful rehearsal you refer to is from '72, and I think it's great. It's just more subtle and obviously sang in a lower key. I think once you get past comparing that version in your head with the original, there's more to appreciate...that's the case with me, anyway.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.