Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elvis On Tour

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0349054
    He's done the Dylan thing recently, and he was film editor for the original Elvis On Tour, so hopefully.....
    I did know that he was involved in the original, FYI. He was listed in the closing credits as the Montage Supervisor, as I recall. (So all you people who hate the split-screen effects used in that movie, blame Mr. Scorsese for putting it all together. )

Didn't know he had anything to do with the recent Dylan documentary though.. That does actually make this seem even more possible. Ya never know, I guess.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Scorsese also directed the Bands documentary "The Last Waltz" about there final concert in 1976. It was also done with some split screen, pretty good movis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    I did know that he was involved in the original, FYI. He was listed in the closing credits as the Montage Supervisor, as I recall. (So all you people who hate the split-screen effects used in that movie, blame Mr. Scorsese for putting it all together. )
    I don't know if he did the split-screen stuff, which was pretty much the cutting edge back then (witness the original Aloha special, too). I was always under the impression that Scorsese only did the '50s montage, the one that starts with "Don't Be Cruel." Maybe he also did the "Love Me Tender" and "Mystery Train" montages, too.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

I'd just like to see the EOT with no split screens.

Come on some director and do this footage again, clean, good sound and all just Elvis!

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    AMEN!!!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

International Level
    Yes! And for the official release, dont screw it up like TTWII! Or air it just before you release it!
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by 1100ccRider
    I don't know if he did the split-screen stuff, which was pretty much the cutting edge back then (witness the original Aloha special, too). I was always under the impression that Scorsese only did the '50s montage, the one that starts with "Don't Be Cruel." Maybe he also did the "Love Me Tender" and "Mystery Train" montages, too.
    Yes, you're right. I'm not sure where I was coming from with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    I'd just like to see the EOT with no split screens.

Tommy
    There was a 2 disc VCD set (Malaysian perhaps) came out a long time ago now which had removed the split screen effects by featuring just one of the frames full screen - and that works pretty well (in my opinion anyway) and makes a nice alternative to the split screen version.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

That's interesting to know.

Thank You,

Tommy

I saw this at a theater in 72 and I liked the split screen there, it kind of loses something in translation on a 27inch set. I think Woodstock was the first to use it and it caught on after that. After Elvis died, in late 77 or early 78, CBS aired an hour long version of it, with very little split screen and no in between footage of fans or added stuff like the film. I always hated the scene of the old guy showing where Elvis would come in and the elevator etc. It just slowed down the film, but it did show I guess what Elvis went thru to get into a place and out of it.

KPM,

Yes I thought that was unnecesary footage also with the old man at the elevator.

Tommy

Tommy, I think that last post was unnecessary.

Yes, that scene is dumb. I thought it was funny though how the old man responded to the one question as if to say, "Look, I'm old but I'm not an imbecile!"

Do I know who he is? I was raised in his hometown.

The U.S. VHS release of EOT from the early nineties also featured the single screen format. It was lame though because you'd be watching the middle frame but still see the edges of the two outer frames on either side. Also, I remember they used the same backstage moment before two of the concert segments when they could have easily chosen another.

I actually like watching the original splitscreen version. If I couldn't watch it that way I'd feel like I was missing out. There is an obvious solution to that though. Let's say we get an EOT SE and the DVD includes the original. They should make it so that you can toggle between the different camera angles like you can with some DVDs. That way you could change it around as often as you like or keep the setting throughout and watch three different versions of the movie.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Being able to toggle between the camera angles...now THAT would be cool...kind of like editing together your own version of EOT everytime you watched it!!!

I have a copy of EOT on VHS from the early 90's in the "single frame format" and you are right, it is VERY odd to watch....you can clearly see the edges of the other screens on the edges of the TV, which is kind of distracting in a way! But I agree with you, that watching EOT in the split-screen format is the way to watch it, no matter how annoying it is to watch at times! That's the way it was originally created, so that is the way we should watch it...at least until the deluxe edition EOT comes out with the toggle feature!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I never liked all the dang spilt screens and interviews, particularly the one with the old guy showing which doors Elvis would walk through! I mean come on! How about a scene with Elvis actually walking through the doors!

You must remember this was a documetary and it was trying to show all the in and outs of a major Elvis Tour in 1972. Unfortunately not all that goes into a tour is all that interesting but it gives you the feel of How? Where? Why? concerning the details of a tour.

I thought that scene with the old guy was a scream! To each his own I guess.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Elvis On Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76
    MY PLEASURE TOMMY!!!

Being able to delete posts is a feature that only the moderators of the board have access to, but if you ever accidentally post something twice again, please feel free to let me or any of the moderators know, and we'll be happy to do it for you! Likewise, if you ever see any posts or comments being made here on the board which are offensive or questionable, please let one of the moderators know! While we try to catch everything, it never hurts to have an extra pair of eyes watching the board to help us keep the board fan-friendly!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your kind words and for your enthusiasm for TCB-World! It is so wonderful to see such fantastic fans here on the board!!

TCB!
    Mike
    You mean this?yes.very frustrating.Don't know why did did that.Also,on TTWIS the pictures that were taken were panoramic view.It was the time when Elvis was at his best physically and better pictures could it have been taken.The 50's had great pictures of EP and 76/77 nica pictures too.But not so many from the early 70's.no portraits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elvis71OnTour1.jpg  
    Man,I just work here!(Elvis 68')

Lightbulb EOT on a german dvd?

I have read about the rumor, that Warner wants to release a EOT dvd in Germany. It will be done like the movie dvds, that means just the movie in Dolby 1.0 and no extra footage. According to the information it isn't even a widescreen picture. I own the malaysian double-vcd and it has good sound and picture (they even tried to get rid of the split-screen by showing only one of the available clips).

When you look at all the outtakes that are flooding e-bay, you get a proper impression what could be done with all the footage that exists. Maybe if the dvd is successfull, they will dare to spend some money an the EOT project (and sell you the stuff twice by the way...).

Maybe the footage( like a few scenes in the TTWII remix) is washed out and faded from not being properly stored. They probalby think for a big release they would have to restore all the footage they have to use it-that is very very expensive. I would like to see it restored but would be happy if they only gave it a good once over to clean it up a bit. But others might not feel that way, so they just sit on it.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy

Wish they would redo this one and re-edit this film and make it right. Lots of Elvis and not much else.

Tommy
    Yeah me to. How about Elvis On Tour Outtakes or Elvis On Tour SE that'd be great
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12