Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis On Tour

Elvis On Tour

Hi Everybody

I'm watching Elvis On Tour, it gets really frustrating watching all the cramp they put in the movie. Just Elvis would have been great without all the split screens and inserts. He's singing and they had to put in every other kind of trash. Scenes of everybody else doing this or that. You get what I mean.

Wish they would redo this one and re-edit this film and make it right. Lots of Elvis and not much else.

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE TOMMY!!!

When ELVIS ON TOUR came out originally in 1972, the film was excellent for its time! (Many other people must have thought so too, since it won a Golden Globe!) But, like THAT'S THE WAY IT IS, I think ELVIS ON TOUR is starting to show its age and would definitely benefit from an updating, like TTWII did back in 2000!

One thing I did have a problem with when the updated TTWII came out in 2000 is that Turner/MGM deleted the original TTWII film from their catalog, and now you have to depend on eBay or other second-hand markets to find the original version. I really think they should have left both versions out there, for fans who wanted to see the original as well as the upgraded version. I do hope that if Turner/MGM ever gets around to releasing an upgraded version of ELVIS ON TOUR, that they won't delete the original from their catalog like they did with TTWII!!! I think having the originals available serves as a good reference point for fans to see just what was done during the updating process! Plus, it is fun every once in a while to pull out the original and watch it, just for ol' time sake!!!

TCB!
    Mike

P.S. I see that you accidentally posted this topic twice Tommy, so I deleted the duplicate posting for you!!

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Thank you for deleting the posting. I couldn't find out how to do that. I was looking! I have both versions of TTWII. I have put EOT and the Lost Performances on a DVD for my use.

Thank you for your help and for your nice reply.

Have a good week,

Tommy

MY PLEASURE TOMMY!!!

Being able to delete posts is a feature that only the moderators of the board have access to, but if you ever accidentally post something twice again, please feel free to let me or any of the moderators know, and we'll be happy to do it for you! Likewise, if you ever see any posts or comments being made here on the board which are offensive or questionable, please let one of the moderators know! While we try to catch everything, it never hurts to have an extra pair of eyes watching the board to help us keep the board fan-friendly!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your kind words and for your enthusiasm for TCB-World! It is so wonderful to see such fantastic fans here on the board!!

TCB!
    Mike

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    In an ideal world, we would get all the available footage--either in the form of a remake plus all the unused footage, or just all the raw footage--PLUS an audio/video-enhanced presentation of the original movie, all in one package.

It's a shame this didn't happen with TTWII, especially since the Special Edition felt pretty incomplete without I Just Can't Help Believin' and Sweet Caroline and what not.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Thank you Lonniebealestreet and Mike for your good remarks.

I love this site!

Tommy

International Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    In an ideal world, we would get all the available footage--either in the form of a remake plus all the unused footage, or just all the raw footage--PLUS an audio/video-enhanced presentation of the original movie, all in one package.

It's a shame this didn't happen with TTWII, especially since the Special Edition felt pretty incomplete without I Just Can't Help Believin' and Sweet Caroline and what not.

That Special Edition promised so much. The project should have been scraped when they strated pulling out songs left right and center. And could someone tell me which bright spark came up with the idea of airing it before releasing it on DVD, while they were going to use sales to judge the market!

TTWIISE, should and could have been so much more than it turned out to be!
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by 0349054
    That Special Edition promised so much. The project should have been scraped when they strated pulling out songs left right and center.
    The thing to remember about the song deletions on the Special Edition version of the actual movie is that the producers of that edition were under the impression that the unused songs would be included on the DVD as part of the special features/bonus songs. When Turner decided to drop the bonus songs at the last second, this, of course, made those deletions stand out a lot more.

I also think dropping all of the bonus songs cost them sales, in addition to the cable TV TCM airing prior to being available in stores as you mentioned. I think they would've been better served to show the old version that night along with a half-hour preview of the new version. Sure, some fans would've complained about that - but the whole point of the project from their point of view is to make money, so why give it away for free and complain when people don't rush out to pay for the exact same thing a few weeks later?

Although the new version is revisionist history based on the tastes of today rather than 1970, I think the TTWII SE is a much stronger edit and, for the most part, I agree with the song choices versus the original film. I prefer to see "Just Pretend" over "Sweet Caroline," for instance. As a whole movie, I think the new version is better.

That being said, I do think a "Deluxe Edition" of TTWII should also include the original 1970 theatrical version of the film--particularly since those involved in the production of the original film were not involved in the special edition.

It is one thing for George Lucas to say that his current "special edition" of "Star Wars" is now the official version of the film and that the original version will no longer be available, but quite another for someone unrelated to the making of an original film to totally replace it with their "special edition" version.

Upgrade the picture and sound quality as much as possible, of course, but otherwise keep the film as it was in 1970.

Also include the new 2000 version (with "Are You Lonesome Tonight" as the closer), all of the TTWII material as seen on "The Lost Performances", and as much other footage as they have.

It should be treated exactly the same as the Comeback or Aloha. Unfortunately, an entirely different company is in charge of TTWII and EOT, so this may or may not ever happen. I think we'll have SOMETHING like this around 2010, though. I'd be surprised (and happy!) if it happens any sooner than that.

When they upgrade Elvis On Tour, I believe they should use a similar approach in a "Deluxe Edition" -- the original 1972 version (that SHOULD be out now, if they had any sense at all) and a re-edited (2007?) version by the same crew as TTWII. All EOT songs from "The Lost Performances," and whatever other footage they have. If they have complete concerts, all for the better - put those on there, too, even if it means some performance duplications. I think we may get a deluxe EOT prior to them taking another shot at TTWII. That's fine, though, as they really need to get EOT out there in some form.

It is Turner/Warner Brothers holding this up, not EPE. EPE has no control over these two films. EPE (like Colonel Parker) is a scapegoat for all things wrong in the Elvis World, but we can't blame them for this one.

Yes Pale Rider,

I agree you gave a very good rendition of what we all want. EOT NOW!

TCB,

Tommy

International Level

Cool

I agree with you about TTWII, but they really messed that up in the end with the deletions. It was basically sloppy that they let it get so far and then were forced to remove the songs. But you are right, a deluxe edition should be out also, and I do prefer TTWIISE to TTWII, however, I prefer the song selection on TTWII, I just didnt care for the fan Interviews, and the new one has a freshness about it.

As far as EOT. We should have a deluxe edition, but with the sales of TTWII, we may have to wait, although the 68' and Aloha specials should boost it's chances. Let Martin Scorsese edit it up, but I do know for a fact that EPE want full control over its content. They are a problem in it not being released yet.

Tommy, you're welcome...and so do I.

I wonder if anyone here knows anything about the timing of the recent releasing of the TTWII and EOT footage on the bootleg market. I mean, why now? (How? Who? We probably shouldn't get into those issues though.) I just wonder if the timing is significant.

Bobby - I think the timing is signifcant pal....as we discussed the other day on the phone, my personal belief is that SOMETHING is in the works, either for EOT or TTWII...but hopefully BOTH!!! I think that is why these outtakes have finally surfaced now. If nothing was in the works, then why wouldn't these outtakes have been released years ago? I have a sneaking suspicion that something is being done with this footage now, hence the reason it has "leaked" out...but that's just my humble opinion!!

PaleRider - I agree with all of your points about TTWII!!! Showing TTWII-SE on television before its release on video hurt the overall sales, I think! And I agree with you about the songs that were in the original film that wound up cut from the SE version....it was understood at that time that the deleted songs would wind up as bonus material on the DVD edition of TTWII-SE. One thing I do have to say though, is that the mention of the bonus material should have NEVER been made public before the DVD release!! I was sitting in the audience of the Orpheum Theatre in Memphis during Elvis Week 2000 when TTWII-SE was given the exclusive premiere!!! Before the show, the entire audience was told that there would be bonus footage on the DVD version of TTWII-SE when it was released on home video! Then, shortly before the official release of the DVD version, we were told that the bonus material was deleted due to "copyright issues" of some songs. So basically, in my opinion, the entire audience of the Orpheum Theatre was lied to that evening in Memphis at the premiere!!! True, things like "copyright issues" are difficult to resolve I am sure, but obviously if there were issues when the decision was made to delete the bonus material from the DVD edition of the film, then there must have been issues before that, like when the announcement of bonus material was made at the theatre!!! So, considering the announcement was made then retracted, so to speak, I think many fans who were in the audience that night were probably a little annoyed about that....I know I was!!!

But all of your points, PaleRider, are right on the mark!!!

I agree completely that a COMPLETE deluxe edition of EOT (and eventually TTWII) is warranted!! All of the available footage, the original 1972 film and a newly-edited version, if possible...or at the very least, release the footage from all of the concerts that were filmed for EOT!!! As I said, I do think an eventual TTWII deluxe edition is warranted....but considering there is NO DVD version of EOT currently available, then I think EOT should be the priority right now!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Eot

YES, yes Elvis On Tour should be and want it to be released in it's full blown entirerty!

Thanks for all your interesting replies.

Tommy

International Level

Cool

Judging by the outtakes, there could be nearly a completely new movie made. Maybe another EOT, maybe EOT - 2, could come out, edited by Scorsese and also scoop another Golden Globe!

YES, another Golden Globe would be wonderful, wouldn't it!

Tommy

Mike, obviously I hope you're right--as I'm sure everyone else does! You may be on to something there.

03, I really like the sound of that too! Scorsese's involvement* and the material itself could mean a production that gets the respect it deserves from more than just the fans.

* - What would Scorsese's motivation be? I answer that with a question: Why did David Briggs talk Elvis into re-recording Love Letters?

If we can dream...

I HOPE SO TOO PAL!!!

TCB!
    Mike

International Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Mike, obviously I hope you're right--as I'm sure everyone else does! You may be on to something there.

03, I really like the sound of that too! Scorsese's involvement* and the material itself could mean a production that gets the respect it deserves from more than just the fans.

* - What would Scorsese's motivation be? I answer that with a question: Why did David Briggs talk Elvis into re-recording Love Letters?

If we can dream...
    He's done the Dylan thing recently, and he was film editor for the original Elvis On Tour, so hopefully.....

Yes, I saw part of the Dylan doc on PBS.

Hopefully something will happen soon for EOT!

Tommy

Remember both the concert movies were documentaries not just concert movies. This was the style in the 60s and 70s. Martin Scorsese did the editing on the montage segments of EOT. The fans comments and other distractions were to document the whole scene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast