Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artwork for "Summer Festival" FTD

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Artwork for "Summer Festival" FTD

I just found the artwork for the upcoming SUMMER FESTIVAL FTD CD on Elvisnews.com, so I thought I would share it with everyone!

Personally, I like the cover....very colorful, looking quite similar to the posters and banners that The Colonel had hanging inside the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas in 1972!!

What do you all think about the cover art for this one?? I would love to hear your opinions!!

TCB!
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cd_summerfestival.jpg  

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I like it a lot! Looks sort of 'bootleggy'...in a good way.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

"Bootleggy"?!?!?!?

Is that an official term???

TCB!
    Mike

It's actually the 1972 Vegas Summer Festival Hilton Menu with a different picture. Personally, I prefer the original photo (Star Suit) but since it's a 1971 photo, I guess FTD wanted a 72 photo to match the release.
    If your an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary....
    If your not, no explanation is possible!

That would be my guess, using a 1972 picture for the cover to keep with the contents of the CD!!

That is interesting that the cover resembles the menu from the summer '72 engagement! Maybe FTD will decide to use the "menu" theme throughout the entire cover....that would be quite different and neat to see!!!

THANKS for the information RS277!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Cadillac King
    i like it, one of the best
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I think it's way too basic for a FTD release. WE've had worse, but also a few better.

Imagine this:

Since FTD is only for fans, why not use the fans more directly? Release some pictures that you (FTD) might want to use for a cover for an upcoming release and let the fans design. Then use one of these ideas and work it out professionaly. And give the designer a free copy of the FTD.

It's a win-win-win situation.... But perhaps to risky for the corporate folks
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Since FTD is only for fans, why not use the fans more directly? Release some pictures that you (FTD) might want to use for a cover for an upcoming release and let the fans design. Then use one of these ideas and work it out professionaly. And give the designer a free copy of the FTD.
    What a great idea! Not only would it likely result in much better covers, but would also generate even more FTD interest among the fans. I love the alternate artwork gallery on this site. A lot of the stuff there is much better than any of the official covers I've seen -- especially on the '68-'77 material, which always look like rush jobs from RCA/BMG, Sony, whoever.

Even if they only did this as a one-shot, or perhaps an annual event, that would still at least be a start. Pocket Books/Simon & Schuster, the publishers of the Star Trek novels, did something similar a few years ago where they allowed fans to send in short stories and then chose the best for a compilation. Apparently, sales were strong enough for them to make several volumes of this over the years.
    Last edited by PaleRider; 09-15-2005 at 04:16 PM.

I like the cover and from all accounts the concert itself is excellent. EP in 1972 was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    I think it's way too basic for a FTD release. WE've had worse, but also a few better.

Imagine this:

It's a win-win-win situation.... But perhaps to risky for the corporate folks
    WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA ALBERT!!!

It's just too bad that FTD probably would never consider doing something like this....as you said, "too risky" for the corporate folks!! But it certainly would generate some new excitement in the FTD label for sure!!

As far as your assessment of the new cover for SUMMER FESTIVAL being too "basic", I think it works quite well for this release....as I said, it is reminiscent of the banners and posters that hung in the Hilton Hotel during Elvis' engagement in the summer of '72! In this case, I think basic works just fine for this release! Of course, that's just my own personal opinion...

TCB!
    Mike

Cadillac King

I like the cover. By the way, good suggestion Albert.

IM

Summer Festival

This a great cover.......this a similar of the menu!!

Ricardo
    Peru

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained
    Looks pretty cool to me. Not really a outstanding design but I always like to see old original Elvis merchandise being used on now a days cover designs.
    Another thing that I like is that they used white as the layout colour instead of the boring black like they most of time do. Some of the better FTD designs like Dixieland Rock and at the International also got a white layout so this is a promising cover so far.
    I couldn't agree more Unchained!!!

I think using a white background this time around is a nice change of pace, and I also think the white color helped to make DIXIELAND ROCKS and ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL such nice looking covers!!

TCB!
    Mike

Jumpsuit or Two-Piece Suit?

Was Elvis actually wearing that Blue Jumpsuit (Jeez, I've forgotten the name of it!) as seen on the cover of the new FTD release, at the August 11th Dinner Show or was it one of the two-piece suits with a multi-coloured shirt?

NEA.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Blue Swirl 73 74

It's the Blue Swirl Jumpsuit 72-73

Tommy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ar741.jpg  
    Last edited by Tommy; 09-19-2005 at 10:35 AM.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Rare 'Swirl'

Aaah Yes, Tommy - the 'Blue Swirl'...I know there are a number of photos of EP wearing this Jumpsuit during '72 - '73, but to me it appears to be a rare Jumpsuit that he probably didn't wear a great number of times on stage?

It is probably the case that the last time he wore it was maybe during his August/September '73 Vegas engagement?

Is it possibly the case that EP first wore the 'Blue Swirl' during this August/September '72 season?

I'm still not convinced that he wore the suit at his August 11th Dinner Show.

NEA.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Quote Originally Posted by NEA

NEA.
    Highly doubt he did -- most likely a pants/shirt combination. He started back wearing jumpsuits more regularly somewhere around August 21, I believe, because he ripped one too many pairs of pants during the engagement's first three weeks. Not to say that he didn't wear jumpsuits before that date, just that he stuck mainly to the three-piece outfits.

I can't recall offhand whether the August 11 dinner show is on the bootleg "At Full Blast" or "Blazing Into The Darkness." Both are very nice concerts -- Joan Deary had tagged one for possible release -- and Elvis ripped his pants during "Polk Salad Annie" on the "At Full Blast" date (indicating that he most likely wore pants and shirt for that show).

Not sure why FTD would release a show that's one of the more widely available as a bootleg, but maybe they don't have much to choose from in terms of recordings from this engagement.

Anyway, although the picture's not of this show (it's a photo from the September 3 3AM show or the September 4 closing show, I think), I applaud them using a nice shot of Elvis in this excellent suit -- something a little different.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Quote Originally Posted by 1100ccRider
    I can't recall offhand whether the August 11 dinner show is on the bootleg "At Full Blast" or "Blazing Into The Darkness." Both are very nice concerts -- Joan Deary had tagged one for possible release -- and Elvis ripped his pants during "Polk Salad Annie" on the "At Full Blast" date (indicating that he most likely wore pants and shirt for that show).

Not sure why FTD would release a show that's one of the more widely available as a bootleg, but maybe they don't have much to choose from in terms of recordings from this engagement.
    The bootleg you are referring to is BLAZING INTO THE DARKNESS but it has been confirmed that the show contained on this bootleg is incorrectly dated! The actual show contained on BLAZING is the dinner show from August 12th, NOT August 11th!

Therefore, the show contained on the upcoming SUMMER FESTIVAL FTD has not been released before!

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by NEA
    Aaah Yes, Tommy - the 'Blue Swirl'...I know there are a number of photos of EP wearing this Jumpsuit during '72 - '73, but to me it appears to be a rare Jumpsuit that he probably didn't wear a great number of times on stage?

It is probably the case that the last time he wore it was maybe during his August/September '73 Vegas engagement?

Is it possibly the case that EP first wore the 'Blue Swirl' during this August/September '72 season?

NEA.
    As far as I know NEA, you are correct....Elvis didn't wear the BLUE SWIRL suit very often. I believe you are correct that Elvis first wore this suit during the August/September '72 Vegas engagement.

I am not sure if Elvis wore this particular suit at the dinner show on August 11th, but I know he did wear it during this engagement because I have seen some amateur video footage from this '72 summer engagement and it clearly shows Elvis wearing this particular suit!

TCB!
    Mike

That is interesting Unchained....where did you see that cover??

As far as I know, the cover that I originally posted will be the one that FTD uses because EPE has the same cover on their website too! (That is, unless FTD decided to change the cover at the last minute...)

I hope this one that Unchained found is not the one they go with....I liked the first version much better!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast