Thread: Pix from Elvis' Memphis

Pix from Elvis' Memphis

Hi everybody!!

My year in the States got a perfect ending with some travels through big parts of the country and the last two weeks just relaxing with relatives. One stop on the travels was of course Memphis.

And I can't wait to go back there, there was so much I wish I had seen but there just was no time. I'd like to thank Albert and everybody else who helped me in decide on what I should see in Las Vegas and Memphis. THANX!!

I ended up going to the Elvis A rama museum, the Hilton, the New Frontier Hotel and the Flamingo in Memphis. Oh, also a quick visit to Alladin to see if they had anything about Elvis' wedding there, but the guy I asked there had no idea what I was talking about.

When we finally reached the Tenneessee-borders we were supposed to stay there one night and then move on to Nashville. But we got stuck in traffic for wuuite a while so that evening almost dissapeared. So we ended up spening three nights there, two of them at the Days In infront of Graceland. (the first motel we stayed at was the cheapest we could find, and now we know why, probbaly the nicest motel in the Graceland are when Elvis moved in, but no more!!) Elvis on TV 24/7. Wonderful!!! After hardly listening to Elvis for a year I finally got my needs satisfied, even though I didn't know I had had them.

We drove into the Memphis office of AAA to get a map of Memphis and off we went on an Elvis ightseeing. The first stop was Audobon Dr. It was a real treat to see the house where I have seen so many pictures of Elvis taken. It is weird thinking of Elvis living in this normal area!! But it has changed a lot since Elvis lived there. The trees are a lot higher so the shadow seems to always be there, so the garden is now very dark.

The nextstop was not given, but I really wanted to see what it looks like. I'm talking about the Memphian movie theatre. I could just imagine it being midnight and the boys pulling up all the cars and the gang getting out to see a movie.

Next stop was SUN studio. My company was a bit afraid to get out of the car where we parked, he thought it looked "scetchy". LOL A great visit!! I especially enjoyed hearing the background story off Johnny Cash's I Walk The Line.

Then we went to Humes High School (now Humes Middle School). Now this is very my company got REALLY nervous. YOu oan really tell that Elvis was very poor when he lived here, although it is probably in a lot worse shape now than it was back then. Not hard imagining little Elvis being intimidated by this big school!!!

By now we were getting hungry and decided to drive down to Beale Street to get something to eat (ended up having the best bbw ribs I've ever had!!). I had planned to go to Poplar Tunes but didn't remember it until we passed it in the lights. Well, well... on the next trip I will defenitly make it there!!

After lunch I dragged my company to Lauderdale Courts. But it was easier said than done!! I was going by the book Memphis Elvis' Style to find it, and it just didn't work. My company started doubting my abilities to read a map - and a book. Until I found out that the street no longer is accessible from the big street. Ever since they renovated the whole thing and offers it as apartments (it looks fantastic BTW and I would love to live there!!) the closed off the streets and there is just ONE entrance to the whole Lauderdale complex.

The last thing on my list was STAX. I would have loved to have gone to American Studios, but it is torn down now. And I thought I would give my company the impression of me being a fanatic, which I of course ain't. Hrm... hrm... It had allready closed but I got some pix of it at least.

The next day we went to Graceland. Just being at the Graceland Placa is an experience, but we were of course going to the mansion too. The guide was speeking which such a deep southern accent so I could just understand a few of the words he spoke. He didn't seem to speek about Elvis out of love though, I could tell that!

In the beginning I wfelt so rushed. I had to keep up with my group, take pictures AND see something without the cameralense. I finally made up my mind that it wouldn't work, so I let the group walk ahead of me.

My favourite room in tehhouse was the Jungle Room. I could soo see myself hanging out there!! I was suprised to see that it is not so much a room than a hallway. I was also suprised in seeing how big it was, now I can finally understand how they could fit the musicians in there during the jungle room sessions.

The museum is a nice part and of course the trof? (sp?) room is a highlight. I alos enjoyed seeing all the costumes Elvis wore during the comeback special. Wow, would I have loved to see Elvis in person wearing that leather suit?? Yes I would!!! LOL

The meditation garden is really pretty, but I still don't understand why Elvis and Gladys aren't side by side. I went back to the meditation garden the following day, before they open the mansion, when you can walk up to the garden for free. I can imagine this beeing a really emotional place if you're here for the vigil in August 16.

After Memphis we drove down to Tupelo just to see the house where Elvis was born. It is fun to have been there... but I don't think it gives you a feeling, whatsoever of what it was like for the Presley's. Teh house in painted and decorated nicely and there are no neighbouring houses. Nice touch though to have a copy of the car the famiy drove to Memphis with! I also tried to go to the hardwar store where Elvis' first guitar was bought. But it was Saturday afternoon and all the stores were closed (and all the people must have been at home!) so I could just take a picture from the outside.

We now drove to Nashville where I was going to meet some distant relatives (my great-grandmother's dad moved to the States and started a new american family). The next day I managed to forve my company to drive me to Studio B. He refused to go to any of the country sights and we drove straight to Ohio where I had more relatives to visit. I wish I could have gone inside of Studio B, but fo r now seeing the are where it was will have to be enough.

In retrospect seeing Elvis' Land was great, but almost just another stop on the road. The next time I will make sure to go there with other fans that are willing to go to "the diner where Elvis once ate a hamburger"... Or places like it!! Also I will build it up more with more Elvis music, movies and books. And read up more on what I would liek to see there!!

'Cause there will definitly be a next time!!!

Linda

I will upload pix later, for anyone who want to see
    Last edited by Little Sister; 08-31-2005 at 04:36 PM.
    There's so much world to see
    For me, there's so much world to see
    Yeah! Yeah! Mmm!
    - waiting to see Australia.
    It's that little problem money first!

Audubon
    Three from now and one that shows what it looked like in -56
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sanders.Elvishouse72dpi.jpg   July 7 Memphis Tour (1) Audubon Drive.jpg   July 7 Memphis Tour (2) Audubon Drive.jpg  

July 7 Memphis Tour (6) Audubon Drive.jpg  
    Yeah! Yeah! Mmm!

Memphian and Sun Studio
    The greatest thing about being in Memphis was seeing how all the Elvis related places was connected, how close the where. After all, they are all in the same city, and it is not a very big one!

I forgot to say that they where doing some work in Marion Keisker's office, so the speech the guide would hae given there was moved to the studio 'cause of teh noise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails July 7 Memphis Tour (8) Memphian Movie Theatre.jpg   July 7 Memphis Tour (22) Sun Studio.jpg   July 7 Memphis Tour (29) Sun Studio.jpg  

Yeah! Yeah! Mmm!

Your Trip

Thank you for sharing your story of visiting TN. Thank you for the photos. I have been to Graceland twice. I want to go again. I love being up there among the tall trees of Graceland, if you notice you can't really hear the road noise from up there. It's almost magical. I can see why Elvis loved Graceland so much.

Thanks again,

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

He little sister, good to hear from you again Thanks for sharing your story and pictures!!!!!I'm glad to hear you had a great time. When I went last year to Memphis I thought that would do it, but no way, have to go again and again...

It is so special!

That's a very special place to be! Just looking at the picture makes me forget about all the troubles in the world.

One some moments I feel like going completely nuts, thinking that we've got a long road ahead of us. That life is like having sex - a painstaking and arduous task that seems to go on and on forever, and just when you think things are going your way, nothing happens.

Whenever I see those Memphis pictures it makes me wanna sit down and cry, because it shows that there's good in the world! I'd also like to thank Little Sister for sharing this with us today.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Linda,

Great to hear from you and I really enjoyed reading about your travels. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time.

One of these years we need to plan a TCB-World get-together in Memphis...
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    One of these years we need to plan a TCB-World get-together in Memphis...

I am second to that....it would be to meet many of TCB members in person.

I'd love to be there, too

But I will not go until it is possible for me to do so ?nd when it's a little bit safer in The States. I'm not too fond of the way the government has 'taken care' of the situation in some parts of The States. Like often, it's up to the government and not to people who aren't involved.

I like TCB-world; there's so much Elvis-world to see in the story of our lives, and that's fascinating.