Thread: UK TV - Positively Well Done!!

UK TV - Positively Well Done!!

I've got to give a mention to ITV1 in the UK tonight (Saturday 20th August) they have really done our man proud...Well Done ITV1!!

The evening kicked-off at 9:10pm with "Elvis Mania" which involved a special tribute show hosted by Zoe Ball (pretty good hostess - and great on the eye!). The special featured some good original performances and arrangements, including Tony Hadley (former lead singer of 'Spandau Ballet' singing "Suspicious Minds"), Mica Paris ("In The Ghetto"), Katie Mellua ("Heartbreak Hotel"), and Opera singer Russell Watson with a 'roof-raising' rendition of "Can't Help Falling In Love".

The quartet 'G4' who were runners-up in the last series of the "X-Factor" finished the show with their version of "The Wonder Of You". There were a couple of elements of 'cheese' which included Peter Andre opening the show with his version of "That's All Right Mama" which appeared to be an overall impersonation more than an original tribute...all he needed was the jumpsuit and sunglasses - less lip-curling and mimicking please, Peter...I did admire his all-girl backing band though!

There also featured a well-choreographed and semi-original dance routine featuring the cast from the British hit series "Bad Girls" - the fems really enjoyed performing their version of "Jailhouse Rock"...all six girls were Elvis fans too!

The special also featured some well-respected spoken tributes from presenters Eammon Holmes and Paul Ross along with Jerry Springer thrown in for good measure...many thanks also go to the 'King of Romance' - the one and only Engelbert Humperdinck for his spoken words. It was great to see Enge being part of this show.

So, I feel it was a good tribute show that focused on the more positive aspects of Elvis' image and the man himself...it certainly didn't go down the route of the stereotype.

Immediately after this tribute show, ITV1 screened the 2-hour version of "Elvis By The Presleys" and it was great to see some footage that wasn't included in the DVD presentation - but why weren't these scenes included on the DVD?

Oh well, what a good night it has been.

Cheers,

NEA.

P.S. It hasn't finished yet - at 2am they are screening "Elvis Forever" which is another tribute show including the likes of 'The Pet Shop Boys' and 'UB40'.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Glad to hear you are enjoining the show. Happy to hear Elvis tributes in the UK. Thankyouverymuch.

TCB,

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Yes I have to agree there was some good t.v. on last night and unusual was the fact it was Saturday too.

Matt