Thread: Music and Fashion

Question Music and Fashion

What sort of music did Elvis like to listen to?

Did he have any particular favourite artists?

What do you people think in some of Elvis taste in fashion particular like his shirts in the TTWII rehearsels, Mind you Elvis still looked good in them
    Was they the kind of fashions at the time or where they just his own personal taste?

International Level

Cool

Elvis had a lot of custom made stuff. He listened to a vairty of artists, from Tom Jones to Mario Lanza and beyond!
    The Sun Never Sets On A Legend...

Fashion

Yes, it was the fashion of the time. But Elvis started fashions with his cool clothes and hair style way back in the 50's.

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

That?s and interesting question...

Some time ago I read about an article (don?t remember where) that the complete Elvis Presley Record Collection was gonna be published a as a list (don?t remember where). Does anybody know something about it? Does anyune actually have the list?

Anyway, Evis was a music lover, since he was a little child to the last day of his life, he always loved music, not only playing music, but he enjoyed lisent to records. They say he had a huge record collection, all generes of music, from all times.

He loved Blues, he must have had lots of Blues singles, from the very very rare to the now classic blues recordings and artist, provalbly still not very well known then. Same with county music and Gospel music. He loved R&B music. He must have had thousands of singles and records on those generes.

He wasn?t probably a huge Jazz fan, but I read somewhere that he liked to lisent Duke Ellington some times relaxing at home. For sure he loved Ray Charles.

He always said that he loved all kind of music, "anything that is good".

He loved the crooners, like Sinatra, Crosby and Dean Martin. But of course he lloved rock and roll, he loved Chuck Berry and Little Richard, and when the Beatlemania hit the States in 64' he was into it like everybodyelse, they say he had a copy of the film "A Hard Days Night" and that he played over and over, and that he played "I Feel Fine" on is white Fender Bass for himself, and he once delcared that his favourite British Band after the Bealtes was "The Rolling Stones".

His knowledge of music was inmense, he was also into classical music and opera. And if you look at his recordings, he even knew about Mexican Ranchera, and recorded a song from the pen of Mexican Song writer: Armando Manzanero, under the english name of "It?s impossible".

In the late 60's and early 70's he was into funk music, he loved James Brown, just as he loved anything from Stax Recording Studio, and he once told half joking half true, that he wanted to join a Motown kind group and stop being Elvis.

He liked new groups like "Creedence Clear Water Revival" for sure, and people like "Joe South", "Hoyt Axton" and Tony Joe White.

A lot about what did Elvis heard can be told, maybe someone can give us more clues. Let?s say for now that he was a true music lover for sure. Not the kind of person who sticks with only one particular genere.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 08-17-2005 at 08:31 PM. Reason: I add something

Elvis' style was AWESOME! He was not afraid of dressing with pink or any other colorful clothes... He was 100% original. LOVE those great 50s
    I knew he did like Dean Martin... I do like him too. Gospel was also important for Elvis, right?
    Yeah!, "the king" had a cool taste (talking about clothes ). I guess many designers should learn form him.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

He had a very eclectic collection. His personal jukebox had very few of his songs. But had Roy Orbison who he once called" the greatest singer alive"
    He loved Dean Martin, Mario Lanza, Anne Murrey, Jake Hess who was a lead singer in many quartets,blues guys like Rufus Thomas and BB King, Metropolitan Opera- I mean truely as varied as you can get. He did once say he could never get into jazz. If he liked an artist or certain song he would make sure his friends got a copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    He did once say he could never get into jazz.
    A possible source of Jazz lover Albert Goldman's ire.

Here's another one of Elvis's favourites. And I DO mean favourites:

Source: http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/elnews148.htm
    We were also cutting a guy named Roy Hamilton. Roy had a song out called You'll Never Walk Alone, it was a big record. We didn't record that one, but Elvis loved the song. It was one of his all time favorite records, and Roy Hamilton was Elvis' idol. He thought the world of Roy Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic
    A possible source of Jazz lover Albert Goldman's ire.

Here's another one of Elvis's favourites. And I DO mean favourites:
    I just recalled when you mentioned Roy Hamilton how much he liked Jackie Wilson
    He was a fan before he even was single and did not know it. He liked a group from the 50s called Billy Ward and his Dominoes. If you listen to the Million Dollar Quartet release Elivs talks about the lead singer of the group who did Don't Be Cruel and how he kept gettin better as the night went on. The lead singer was Jackie Wilson who later had hits galore as a single and ws refered to by some as the Black Elvis.

Look at a lot of Elvis' clothes, whether the pink suits in the '50s or the ruffled-cuff, puff-sleeved shirts of the '70s, and you'll see a lot of very effeminate touches...attributes more commonly associated with clothing for females. Similarly, in the '50s he had his hair styled at beauty salons -- brave, brave move in crewcut '50s Memphis -- and throughout his career he wore mascara and probably other eye and face makeup.

He was ahead of his time, in this way and many others, but I don't think he'd even warrant being labeled 'metrosexual' (if that term's still 'in' this week) -- he was a man's man, a woman's man, and in many ways very macho. The whole issue of Elvis' fashion sense and tendency to always dress to the nines is just a part of the masculine-feminine, sensitive-macho dichotomy that helps keep things interesting around anything to do with Elvis.

Ruffled sleeves and .357 magnums. Mascara and roman-candle battles. Really an interesting character, our Elvis.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Quote Originally Posted by 1100ccRider
    Look at a lot of Elvis' clothes, whether the pink suits in the '50s or the ruffled-cuff, puff-sleeved shirts of the '70s, and you'll see a lot of very effeminate touches...attributes more commonly associated with clothing for females. Similarly, in the '50s he had his hair styled at beauty salons -- brave, brave move in crewcut '50s Memphis -- and throughout his career he wore mascara and probably other eye and face makeup.

He was ahead of his time, in this way and many others, but I don't think he'd even warrant being labeled 'metrosexual' (if that term's still 'in' this week) -- he was a man's man, a woman's man, and in many ways very macho. The whole issue of Elvis' fashion sense and tendency to always dress to the nines is just a part of the masculine-feminine, sensitive-macho dichotomy that helps keep things interesting around anything to do with Elvis.

Ruffled sleeves and .357 magnums. Mascara and roman-candle battles. Really an interesting character, our Elvis.
    Its funny but I never saw the the puffy sleeves and wild suits and colors as feminine- I saw it as cool. In 68 I had puffy sleeves because it was in style, and I wore wild colors, pinks and blacks, wild prints, it was cool. Elvis was a trend setter.
    In 53 I can imagine what was thought of him but by 67, 68wild was definitly in.(spurred by Elvis breaking the crew cut style of 1950s America) But that was him, I'm sure he never wore them with the idea of being feminine, he liked the look. I think if he liked it he did not care what anyone thought. Guts man!