Thread: jailhouse rock

jailhouse rock

Hello!

I'm not sure if this should go into movie forum or here, since it's not a review...

I watched Jailhouse Rock, and I liked it! Elvis made a really cool (and cute!) delinquent, and conveyed "surliness" realistically, given his character's background. He was even a little scary, losing control of his anger in several scenes.

I know that Elvis wasn't happy with his movie legacy, but I think he really short-changed himself. Elvis made it easy to forget that this is "An Elvis Presley Movie" to help us enjoy the ride!

I would have enjoyed these movies even without being a Elvis fan. ..especially the whipping !

I could watch the whole Jailhouse Rock dance routine over and over again. Actually, this was the first Elvis movie I had ever seen and it did a pretty good job of impressing me. Plus how can you deny the quote, "No, you ain't gonna hate me. I ain't gonna let you hate me."
    Some people tap their feet, some people snap their fingers, and some people sway back and forth. I just sorta do 'em all together, I guess.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2615/12fe1.png

Jailhouse Rock is so cool, I love it. That dance sequence it's excellent. I think Elvis' movies are awesome. My favorites are: King Creole, Viva Las Vegas, G.I Blues, Fun In Acapulco, Jailhouse Rock... it's a long list.
    Last edited by Wendy56; 08-14-2005 at 05:05 AM.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

"Jailhouse Blues"

I watched "Jailhouse" yesterday and Elvis is so believable in the role. What a pitying waste that his talent for drama was not taken down the path of the more "rebellious" type role in the sixities.

It was only the likes of "Flaming Star", "Wild In The Country" and "Roustabout" that touched upon this aspect of this type of character. Although, Vince Everett is more closer to Charlie Rogers like Pacer Burton is more closer to Glenn Tyler.

A crying shame.

NEA.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Hi NEA!

Would you know of any source that analyzes Elvis' performances in movies, etc.? I've read books that touch upon it--like in "Elvis and Gladys" where the author devoted a whole chapter on Jailhouse Rock and how (according to the theory) that the Colonel used the movie's premise to entrap Elvis -- the "shame" of Vernon going to prison, being a delinquent, as Elvis was thought of by many people at the time...

any ideas?

Thanks!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I don't like "Jailhouse Rock" for the simple reason that I can't help but dislike the character that Elvis played. That guy thought that fame and fortune is something that you can claim after a certain amount of hard work. He has no manners or anything else that made Elvis a huge star. The character that Elvis played in "Jailhouse Rock" does look more like the modern stars in that way.

No, I prefer the other great Elvis movies like Wild In The Country, Loving You or King Creole

CutiePie & Albert

Cutes: I'm not too sure about anything that will give you any kind of Elvis movie analysis of character, etc. maybe somebody else reading this can shed some light on something...maybe if you type 'Elvis Movie Analysis' in 'Google' and see what results it throws back?

Albert: EP must have been doing something right if he got you to hate his character in "Jailhouse Rock"...I think Elvis does an excellent job of characterisation in the film and that's what makes it an overall success. I love Elvis but I don't particularly like 'Vince Everett' - I like Larry Hagman but I don't particularly like 'J.R. Ewing'...you know what I'm saying?
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Thank you NEA! Yeah, I agree--Elvis indeed do a great job here, making us for get that it's "our" Elvis up there on the screen. I wasn't wild about Vince either...but it sure is fun watching Elvis be a bad boy!

I would just be concerned that, at the time, people might equate Vince with Elvis because of the rise-to-stardom theme. It breaks my heart to think about such a great actor Elvis already was, and how much better he could have been. At least we've got these movies!

Smile jailhouse rock

i think elvis's best movies were the ones he made in the fifties. in the 60's even though he made good ones thats where the movies followed the same pattern all the time.

Cadillac King
    I can't remember the last time I watched one of his '50s movies. Really don't care for any of them.

Cadillac King
    so are u saying you prefer the 60s soapy musical movies? give me jailhouse rock over blue hawaii ANY day!
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer