Thread: Point of No Return???

Mad Tigers

Smile Point of No Return???

HI everybody!

I was wanting to get some input as when ya'll felt like Elvis went past the "point of no return"? I guess what I am asking what time period was critical for Elvis being allowed to try new things before he succumbed to boredom, and health problems?

1973 - After the worldwide concert we can listen to FTD'S "Closing night" and hear Elvis in a full range of emotions (his divorce soon to be final) with nobody strong enough to help!

1974 - The year starts out great then comes the August opening and closing of Vegas with the fall tours and we can listen to various releases and see he is a man losing hope and direction. (I love listening to the rehearsal tapes from 8/16/74 as he was trying to change his set for August- why did that not go over as he went back to the standard after opening night?)

So when was the point of no return?

We could go on and on, thanks, can't wait to hear your heart...
    I don't know anything about music.

Aloha 1973 onwards...

Hi there,

I think Elvis' creativity was somewhat stifled when he returned to Vegas soon after the big event of "Aloha From Hawaii". It was very shortly after this momentous occasion that Elvis' weight fluctuated. Another contributing factor was that he knew he not only had another August/September season at the Hilton to get through, but he was also performing a short stint in Lake Tahoe once again before that.

I don't think Vegas was very good for Elvis' state of health or mind - I feel that playing the Hilton the number of times per year that he did caused him to get stuck in a rut. It was like a parallel rut to what he was caught up in during the sixties making those movies.

It's quite obvious that 1973 was a big turning point for Elvis both professionally and personally. At the start of the year Elvis became 'Mr. America' so to speak - he was invincible. But, come the end of the year he had to come to terms with the emotional upheaval that divorce brings. It was the realisation of the start of a new era.

I think that Elvis embarked upon a lot of creative soul-searching between December 1973 and December 1974, and to a certain extent he didn't really find it. At this point I feel the only time he was happiest was when he was touring and playing to bigger audiences in different arenas each night. But, when the fateful September/October 74 tour came around, this was certainly the point of no return.

Elvis' usual Vegas stint was cancelled in January 1975 - Elvis was in hospital. So, by the time the month of March appeared Elvis had been somewhat resting for a 5-month period, which is what he had needed. The creative light was switched back on that month with the recording of the 'Today' album in Hollywood and then a revitalised short Vegas season.

It is quite obvious though that things were never really the same again with Elvis after then - his health and medication dependency were going to combine to start dictating the rules.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

NEA.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Thanks, NEA :)

I think NEA sums it up rather well.

It is very hard to pinpoint just one specific moment as the point of no return.. I can't say if it was 'February 23, 1973, 3:24 AM' or 'October 17, 1974, 5:09PM'.. So thanks to NEA for summing it up so well!

Cheers

Why, Thank You Enigmatic!

P.S. "A Star Is Born"

I just thought I would add a little footnote here to my previous post:

I think Elvis had thought things were most definitely changing for him on a professional-level when Ms. Streisand went to see him at the Hilton regarding 'his' role in her new movie project. But, unfortunately, Elvis' hopes were short-lived and, in turn, Barbara's wishes were dashed.

The movie "A Star Is Born" was remade without Elvis.

The question is: could "A Star Is Born" have remade Elvis?...I feel that Colonel Parker only knew the answer to that well-guarded subject matter...another 'point of no return'...

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    If the question was "when did Elvis life turn bad?" I would have answered something like summer season '74, december Vegas 1975.

But I think the answer to the topic question will be 1972. It's clearly to witness on Elvis On Tour that Elvis lost control over his life and carreer. Combining that with Priscilla leaving him at the start of the first openingnight of '72, then the line "and now, the end is near" really makes sense.

Just look at the type of songs he started to record from then (and also the amount of songs).

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I have to agree with Albert on this, 1972 was the start of the rot setting in, the usual tours were turning into a treadmill, It was the Aloha from Hawaii that was the only light on the horizon that would challenge Elvis.

You only have to look at the eyes, they really are the window to the soul, look at Elvis in TTWII there is a sparkle and mischief, this is also apparent in the 68 Special, when you look at Elvis on tour vocally he is on top of his game but look at the eyes, there is clearly a distant look, when you look at the Aloha shows that sparkle is there again.

If there was any time in the 70's that Elvis could have achieved anything it was after the Aloha shows, he was at his pinnacle stardom wise, there would not have been any agent in the world who would not have offered Elvis a blank cheque at this point, the fact that Elvis was already contracted limited a great opportunity! When this opportunity passed the writing was already on the wall.

I have no doubt that Elvis loved to perform, but he also like to be challenged and when there was a lack of challenge he was in auto pilot.

Elvis in Concert should have been done in 1974-75, given this opportunity perhaps it would have given him the incentive or motivation to break out from the rut he had gotten into, perhaps going on to make more movies or even toured further afield.

One can only speculate that Elvis' addiction to prescribed medication is spawned from failing health and more importantly boredom, which in part is down to the Colonel who was unable or didn't want to look at the bigger picture.

Perhaps at this point Elvis was unwilling to make the break, the spectre of going back to the monotiny of movie making was to much to bare.

All said and done there are many events that culminate to create the bigger picture and we are only privvy to hearsay and half truths from those who wish to put themselves in a better light.

All we know is that, events unfolded in way that ultimately lead to Elvis' untimely death.

Given the same set of circumstances without prior knowledge the same things would probably happen again, Newtons Theory of gravitation the law that states "Any two bodies attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them" could apply to talent and stardom, its a pretty potent mix which can be ultimately destructive.

Matt

Sparkle & Eyes

Hi Guys,

I can see what you are referring to when you talk about the 'sparkle' in Elvis' eyes when comparing "T.T.W.I.I." and "On Tour". But, it is quite obvious in 1972 Elvis was still creating what he needed to be creating on a musical-level, and he remained the true professional about his career path.

I feel that the Colonel did not give a stuff about the creativity of his client after his unwelcome idea for the '68 Comeback TV Special was dismissed (A Programme of Xmas songs - was this Marie's idea? LOL). I think it obviously got to the stage where the Colonel's debts in Vegas were more important in his eyes than the need for Elvis to develop other areas of his creativity - $$$$!

At the end of the day, the Colonel was calling the shots and one side of his loaded dice comes in the form of a title that is now as relevant as his honorary 'Colonel' status: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT. So, whilst Passport control were still a little 'sticky' about this kind of situation with anybody, Elvis didn't have a hope in hell's chance of touring the world let alone co-starring in "A Star Is Born". THE very 'Point of No Return'.

It's very much ado about a lot!

NEA.
    Last edited by NEA; 08-13-2005 at 06:07 PM.

Despite the cancellation of Elvis' cooperation in "A Star is Born" Elvis still had in in him to do great things. Personally I feel that the hour Elvis realized Red and Sonny West and Dave Hebler were about to write a book about him to tel "their truth" was the real point of no return, especially when he started to read parts of it.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    It wasn't the point of no return, but I think a turning point worth noting took place around the time of Elvis' 4th Vegas engagement in January of '71.

He apparently had a cold during this engagement, but I don't think that alone would account for what I hear in the recordings I've heard from this time. To me Elvis seems rather agitated, obviously bored, and really not all that into it. His spirit just isn't the same at all.

This apparent darker state of mind would pass, but this was the first point at which it was clear a considerable change had taken place in his stage demeanor. I'd say that was a reflection of the way things were away from the stage, but also caused in large part by his commitment to be there.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    It wasn't the point of no return, but I think a turning point worth noting took place around the time of Elvis' 4th Vegas engagement in January of '71.

He apparently had a cold during this engagement, but I don't think that alone would account for what I hear in the recordings I've heard from this time. To me Elvis seems rather agitated, obviously bored, and really not all that into it. His spirit just isn't the same at all.

This apparent darker state of mind would pass, but this was the first point at which it was clear a considerable change had taken place in his stage demeanor. I'd say that was a reflection of the way things were away from the stage, but also caused in large part by his commitment to be there.
    I agree... although the turningpoint was much more clearer in 1972 (due to the divorce, the video footage and recordings from that year), but 1971 was also a year where Elvis seemed to have lost control over his life (personal, mental, physical and business). This 'point of no return' does not mean that Elvis didn't enjoy life after that or didn't have huge successes after that.

People frequently talk about "The Aloha" as a milestone for Elvis. Businesswhise, true. But I doubt that he enjoyed this moment. He was in the middle of a divorce, he was physically not allright (the touring and pills were already claiming their toll) and he was extremely nervous during the preparation and the actual show. I don't see a happy person when I watch the Aloha. So how can that be a called a personal milestone?

Roustabouts
    I think the real point of no return came in 1977. In December 1976 he proofed, that he was still able to pull himself out of it, even if it wasn't for a long time - but he still could do it. If he had stayed on that path, the would have been back on top a few month ahad. But unfortunately, he didn't.

Mad Tigers

Thumbs up I was hoping...

Quote Originally Posted by dirklandwehr
    I think the real point of no return came in 1977. In December 1976 he proofed, that he was still able to pull himself out of it, even if it wasn't for a long time - but he still could do it. If he had stayed on that path, the would have been back on top a few month ahad. But unfortunately, he didn't.
    Hi everybody!

#1 I was hoping someone would mention that wonderful last tour of 76'! I would greatly appreciate everyone's input on what "dirklandwehr" stated???

#2 What was going in with Elvis that made such a difference that changed so fast the following recording sesssion ( ) that never was and the follwoing tours???

#3 Of the last tour of 76' which concert is your personal favorite? Do you have vidoe of any of those to get a better understanding of Elvis and his mood and appearance?

Thanks so much!
    I don't know anything about music.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Videos from the last three shows of '76 can be downloaded from Jordan's Elvis World.

http://jordans-elvis-world.com/video/

Thanks to Jordan.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

aloha..!

Well, I have to say Elvis looks somewhat 'distant' on the Aloha Special, but in my opinion he's just very professional about doing a TV show for a billion people - he couldn't afford any mistakes or chatter.

I think that the Aloha special is great, Elvis does succeed in proving he's a very capable singer with songs as It's Over, What Now My Love and My Way. Yes, of course, some physical change is present, but the show stands on itself musically - Aloha was a triumph!