Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whaaaaaaat?!!

whaaaaaaat?!!

Hi there

I was exercising on the old treadmill this morning listening to a few "new" (to me, anyway) Elvis songs. They were mostly from the 70s, and yes, Elvis' voice really did get richer!

Then I heard a song -- "Hurt" that really stopped me in my tracks! This is apparently from an album called "From Elvis Presley Boulevard Memphis Tennessee". Was that really Elvis? I'm kinda speechless...he said a lot of...things...that were very uncharacteristic of him. At first I thought it was some kind of joke--but then he sounded very...upset...

I felt bad that he felt that way--is there some background or context to this?

Thanks

whaaaaaaat

i dont know much about this song other then that it was written byjimmie craine and al jacobs and first recorded by roy hamilton in 1954. elvis must have known about this song for a long time but diddnt record it until feb 5 1976. it became an imediate show stopped on stage as he would do it frequently with reprises often lying down on the stage for the ending.

Cadillac King
    Cutiepie, are you talking about the 'x' rated version of Hurt? If you are, then yes, it is our man......Elvis was known to pull a few choice words out when he felt like it......'Moody Blue' is another one......he calls it 'The Italian Version'.....I will admit it does give you a bit of a shock when you first hear it....but wait until you are singing along with a tamed down version, and you 'accidently' slip those words in.....I know every time I hear 'Little Sister' I will add the words SOB in the appropriate spot.
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

Way down deep inside of me..

Yes, that was truly something, the song 'Hurt'. It suited his voice and mood rather well at the time, he must have been hurt quite a few times by some folks.

The first time I heard it, I recognized the song and I was immediately drawn to it's rendition by Elvis. I knew another version of this song by Timi Yuro and although this version was nice enough, Elvis really impressed me with his - it's so emotional and yes indeed, his voice sounds full and rich.

He just reminds me of the wounded king archetype...

I've heard this 'X-rated' version before, Was there anymore songs with these kind of x-rated outtakes?

Thank you for the information! I guess I hadn't heard many "outtakes" before, so this one kinda floored me. Was Elvis really that upset, or was this a "joke" kind of thing after all?

I think I've recovered enough to give it another listen. I only listened to the first half or so!

funny, yes!

There was also a snippet of the song 'Heart Of Rome' where he sings 'I'll take a piss in every fountain' - really funny!!

Which version is this?

Hi Cutiepie,

The master of "Hurt" can be found on "From EP Boulevard" album as you stated, but which Import/Bootleg CD/Album is this 'X-rated' version of the song that you have been listening to from?

Cheers,

NEA.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

well..

You can find it here, folks..

http://jordans-elvis-world.com/audio...ds/friends.htm

Elvis Among Friends.

Just listened to a version of American Trilogy not sure which concert it from but a woman shouts 'I love you' to Elvis and he says I love you too then they chat for a few secs and this guy shouts I hate you Elvis (sounds like that anyway) and Elvis replys F*** You bet the guy who shouted out didn't expect that kind of response from Elvis lol
    Last edited by acmilan; 08-13-2005 at 12:49 AM.

Smile

and The Robin poem

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    See also Cut Me And I Bleed, which contains the Trilogy and Robin poem mentioned above and other tracks which illustrate how human the man was.

(For mature listeners who aren't bothered by such things, of course.)

...and I believe that it is a contributing factor to the juvenile delinquency of today...
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Coming On Strong
    Hi Cutiepie (are you really that cute? )...

Yep it's the X-rated version of Hurt you came across...

When I first heard it I got goose bumps all over... the way he speaks the spoken part, wow, really powerfull.. but also funny... This take is often referred to as take 69 and the widow of Felton Jarvis (Elvis' producer) claimed she burned the original tape in her backyard... We should sue her!! Burning Elvis tapes should be held as a criminal act, world wide...

Don't be upset cutie, just think of it as a deeper glance in to Elvis' soul at that time. It might not be pretty but it makes him human and verrrry interresting...

Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by AronNL
    Hi Cutiepie (are you really that cute? )...

Don't be upset cutie, just think of it as a deeper glance in to Elvis' soul at that time. It might not be pretty but it makes him human and verrrry interresting...
    ...as a matter ofact, I'm even cuter than all that!

I wasn't so upset -- as in offended -- just shocked....so, was Elvis meaning that as a joke or just goofing off after all? Or was he angry over Priscilla and her affair? I'm also trying to find the "official" version of "Hurt," but so far, the only one that pops up is the x-rated one!

Hurt, Way Down Deep Inside Of Me..

Cutiepie, the song should be on the From EP Boulevard album. Of course you can also go to the website Jordan's Elvis World (the link you'll find in one of my posts above).. There is both the master take and the x-rated version to be found, so you can listen to them..

I can also recommend the last ever version (AFAIK) from Elvis' last concert in Indianapolis... It is also in the audio library of Jordan's Elvis World and it sends shivers down my spine... The intensity with which he sings the ending... like 'HUUUHUHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURT'.. very impressive indeed!

Thank you EnigmaticSun!

Was "Hurt" the only song that Elvis did his tarzan-like yell? I guess that should have clued me in from the beginning, that this wasn't just a "regular" Elvis song...but what is?!

Very special...!

Yes, Hurt is a notable exception in a way that it reminds me of the opera, it is emotionally intense and considered to be un-Elvis by many - this view is plain wrong because it portrays the emotions Elvis was having at the time rather well and he had had a liking for ballads ever since he was a child..

Although I must admit I do not entirely agree with the notion of the 'tarzan-yell'.. This one must have been made up by Guralnick, I guess.. The song Hurt definitely demands some sort of vocal ability and skill - it's not that every actor playing Tarzan, although able to just 'yell', would be apt to sing it.

jessegaronuk

Thumbs up

if you wanna talk about emotion in elvis songs then what about you gave me a mountain or if i can dream which he finished the 1968 comeback special now ther was emotion

Backstage Pass
    There's the `italian' version on the FTD release, also Take 69 of Hurt that has appeared on bootleg.

Check out the unedited Stranger in my own home town for some real Elvis cursin'
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    See also Cut Me And I Bleed, which contains the Trilogy and Robin poem mentioned above and other tracks which illustrate how human the man was.

(For mature listeners who aren't bothered by such things, of course.)

...and I believe that it is a contributing factor to the juvenile delinquency of today...
    Actually it's funny to listen to this album from time to time...I love the burst-out during Beach shack"...dum-di-dum-di-dum-yeah-yeah....what you think I am?
    And of course that famous "Memories" (pressed between your legs...not speaking those cat meows and dog barks ) or "Don't cry daddy" (...don't cry fatty (...) daddy we'll put you on a bomber...)
    The most of the x-rated stuff was I guess made out of boredom...tho' Hurt or Only the strong survive was lil bit TOO MUCH of strong words...
    Otherwise it's kinda OK album...just to see El from another side...(and to think over where did Lisa get that all swearing from
    Yes...you called, honey?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast