View Poll Results: What did Elvis need for a new challenge?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rest

38 27.94%
  • England?

3 2.21%
  • Worldwide Tour?

75 55.15%
  • A Star is Born?

20 14.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Vegas Questions???

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car View Post
    Hi Greg,
    #1- The truth be known, Elvis became extremely bored with Vegas as early as 1971, yet the Colonel locked him into another long term contract. The joke is that even though EP shattered every attendance record in Vegas, he wasn't even the highest paid performer. I'm not sure of what new building your talking about.
    Joe, I would venture to say that Elvis was absolutely bored out of his mind with Las Vegas by the time he went back in there in January of '70. During the "lay-off" (if you will) in Vegas from August 28, 1969-January 26, 1970 Elvis became extremely bored and restless because there was nothing for him to do so he did a lot of traveling.

#2-Vegas was always an option for him given his success there, but he preferred the road, no doubt.
    I can't say I blame him for preferring the road shows...they were always more exciting (at least they seem that way to me from watching concert footage).

#3- Don't know.
    I've wondered this very same thing, myself...I'd love to see/hear more shows from these dates....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post

I can't say I blame him for preferring the road shows...they were always more exciting (at least they seem that way to me from watching concert footage).

That's an interesting thought Tony..maybe Elvis did see it that way. However, as a fan that saw him many times in both places, the concert dates were just a holdover while waiting to get back to Vegas. Bored or not....there was nothing that compared with sitting 10 feet away from the man watching him perform. This is the exact same conversation that Gail and I had just the other night. She said the same thing as I just said. The whole setting...the gold lame curtains, the funky cherubs, the celebrities and the King at an arm's length....there was no way to explain how that felt.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Before he started worrying about his career, he needed to fix his personal life. Get off the drugs, get his weight under control, stay on a good healthy diet. That's the first thing he needed to do. I think Elvis needed some more creativity in his career, obviously he was robbed of that by Parker. Like Schilling said, once you take away creativness from a genious like Elvis you loose them. And performing one night after another, for the same crowds, same towns, its not exciting after awhile and he lost his motivation. He needed alot of changes to be done, but he should have helped himself and took control of everything sadly he didn't .
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post
    Before he started worrying about his career, he needed to fix his personal life. Get off the drugs, get his weight under control, stay on a good healthy diet. That's the first thing he needed to do. I think Elvis needed some more creativity in his career, obviously he was robbed of that by Parker. Like Schilling said, once you take away creativness from a genious like Elvis you loose them. And performing one night after another, for the same crowds, same towns, its not exciting after awhile and he lost his motivation. He needed alot of changes to be done, but he should have helped himself and took control of everything sadly he didn't .

I agree 100% with you, Brad. There was non one else to blame but Elvis himself.

I had a member of a Yahoo Elvis group light into me like a set of fireworks because I spoke very negatively 'bout the "drug rant" from the "Desert Storm" CD. I basically told her that by '74 Elvis was completely in denial 'bout his drug problem and that I didn't choose to wear "rose-colored" glasses and overlook this very dangerous habit and think that Elvis was a saint and could do no wrong--because he wasn't.
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 02-24-2008 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BradM View Post
    Definitely get healthy, but Elvis seemed to be a quick-fix kind of guy. He didn't seem to want to follow a healthy regime, just one that took care of the problem NOW! IMO, he needed to learn his own limitations. How about the opinions that say he had too big a fascination with guns, was it Sonny West who stated that he would never have been able to get overseas because he wouldn't have left his arsenal at home? I know he loved guns, but was it really as big a problem as it's made out to be?

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Quote Originally Posted by utmom2008 View Post
    That's an interesting thought Tony..maybe Elvis did see it that way. However, as a fan that saw him many times in both places, the concert dates were just a holdover while waiting to get back to Vegas. Bored or not....there was nothing that compared with sitting 10 feet away from the man watching him perform. This is the exact same conversation that Gail and I had just the other night. She said the same thing as I just said. The whole setting...the gold lame curtains, the funky cherubs, the celebrities and the King at an arm's length....there was no way to explain how that felt.

Like Gail and Rosanne I saw both type of venues...For many of us fans that were there NOTHING beat Vegas!!!...How could anything beat Elvis singing that CLOSE to you with those great acoustics in the International showroom? I can't speak for Elvis, of course, but I can speak as a fan who was in both kinds of audiences. I'd take Vegas anyday over a tour show.

I can imagine the road tour with all the travel between each show would be just as tiring for Elvis... if not more so than Vegas. The exception being something extra special like MSG which I think fired him up and gave him energy. Elvis was overworked to the HILT without a doubt. I had no idea of the mans actual schedule until I read Elvis schedule one day this past year. No human should be worked that hard, and anyone, and I mean anyone....would have gotten sick of it all.

The schedule:
    http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/8605/allyears.html

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline View Post
    Like Gail and Rosanne I saw both type of venues...For many of us fans that were there NOTHING beat Vegas!!!...How could anything beat Elvis singing that CLOSE to you with those great acoustics in the International showroom? I can't speak for Elvis, of course, but I can speak as a fan who was in both kinds of audiences. I'd take Vegas anyday over a tour show.

I can imagine the road tour with all the travel between each show would be just as tiring for Elvis... if not more so than Vegas. The exception being something extra special like MSG which I think fired him up and gave him energy. Elvis was overworked to the HILT without a doubt. I had no idea of the mans actual schedule until I read Elvis schedule one day this past year. No human should be worked that hard, and anyone, and I mean anyone....would have gotten sick of it all.

The schedule:
    I agree with this entire post!! And, in my opinion, it always seemed to me that the touring would have been more tiring than the Vegas shows. Yeah, sure he did 2 a day for most of those years but when he was done he could walk upstairs and relax. I cannot imagine going from city to city like that and not being exhausted.

That was my point too Carole. Concerts were fun, Vegas was unbelievable. The one thing that I left out was the sound system...better than any Coliseum. When I think of Elvis...it will ALWAYS be Vegas!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCaroline;190494I can imagine the road tour with all the travel between each show would be just as tiring for Elvis... if not more so than Vegas. The exception being something extra special like MSG which I think fired him up and gave him energy. Elvis was overworked to the HILT without a doubt. I had no idea of the mans actual schedule until I read Elvis schedule one day this past year. No human should be worked that hard, and anyone, and I mean anyone....would have gotten sick of it all.

The schedule:
    [url
    http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/8605/allyears.html[/url][/COLOR][/B]
    I can't imagine what that would be like either Carole. To have to ask someone what town are we in today? Plus, Suite 3000 was a home away from home, bigger than most people's homes.

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    I agree with this entire post!! And, in my opinion, it always seemed to me that the touring would have been more tiring than the Vegas shows. Yeah, sure he did 2 a day for most of those years but when he was done he could walk upstairs and relax. I cannot imagine going from city to city like that and not being exhausted.

Touring is not an easy life (or easy work..yes..work!) by no means....there have been times in the recent past where I've done two shows back to back and it's very physically demanding...

The schedule:
    There was no reason (except financially) for Elvis to do as many shows as he did in the final years of his life. I also put the blame squarely on the shoulders of one man: Colonel Thomas Andrew Parker.

Touring is not an easy life (or easy work..yes..work!) by no means....there have been times in the recent past where I've done two shows back to back and it's very physically demanding...

There was no reason (except financially) for Elvis to do as many shows as he did in the final years of his life. I also put the blame squarely on the shoulders of one man: Colonel Thomas Andrew Parker.
    You are so right. To think that during the month long Vegas engagement he would end up with 59 shows is incredible.....

You are so right. To think that during the month long Vegas engagement he would end up with 59 shows is incredible.....
    Um...wouldn't that be 57 shows? Still, in a one month period, that's a hell of a lot of show. I'd be flat on my back after the first week...I don't see how Elvis did two shows a night during those early Vegas seasons....

Um...wouldn't that be 57 shows? Still, in a one month period, that's a hell of a lot of show. I'd be flat on my back after the first week...I don't see how Elvis did two shows a night during those early Vegas seasons....
    Are you saying I can't add or subtract?

Are you saying I can't add or subtract?

*In my best Curly Howard voice*.....

SOITENLY!

*In my best Curly Howard voice*.....

SOITENLY!
    So...you are a Stooge?

So...you are a Stooge?

I actually am a big fan of the Stooges....

I voted for a wrold tour but a challenging film project (not necessarily Star is Born) may have also done the trick.
    Too bad he didn't have a proper manager
    rick

International Level rhythmknights's Avatar
    A challenging movie project, yes! but one where he would have been in control. it seems that the only time he was very successful was when he was in complete control. no one could 'work' an audience like Elvis.
    i've read reviews where it states that in his movies as an actor the only time he would shine was when he was singing. maybe so, but the only time he could bring a script came to life was when he could sing a song. That's when He Could Take Control of the situation and make something out of nothing! even in later interviews whenever he was asked if would do another movie, he'd say he'd love to, as long as there was no singing. He never wanted to sing in his movies, yet he had no control - or he would exercise no control.
    the only time he bucked the col. was for ;the Elvis special and we ALL know what a roaring success that was - in spite of the col. wanting to hear 'some old tired Christmas song!"
    All I wanted was a white knight with a good heart, soft touch, fast horse
    Ride me off into the sunset Baby, I'm forever yours

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I agree 100% with you, Brad. There was non one else to blame but Elvis himself.
    I agree, I DON'T want to turn this into a bashing Elvis thread but yes Elvis was accountable for his own personal and mental health. On the flip side he was a victim of drug dependency, given to him by a man (Dr. Nick) who was star struck and fame hungry. Dr. Nick just wasn't objective when it came to Elvis he was like all the other sycophants Elvis was surrounded by, unable to say NO! So on one level I agree.... but on another I don't

I had no idea of the man's actual schedule until I read Elvis schedule one day this past year. No human should be worked that hard.
    I don't agree here sorry. I travel approx 45 mins to get to work, I work on average 11 hours a day (sometimes more) and then travel approx 45 mins to get home. I work bloody hard without the huge benefits Elvis had, don't get me wrong I don't begrudge Elvis in any way. Just wanted to keep it real.

Again I don't question the job is hard, I believe it to be very hard indeed, but lets put this into perspective. If you are a performer in a stage show you are probably expected to do 2 shows a day (for more than an hour) 5 days a week for 52 weeks in a year and still not fly home in your private jet to your luxury mansion! There are other stars of Elvis' calibre (well sort of) who work equally as hard and still do late into their lives. The reason Elvis' life was curtailed was simply due to prescribed drugs, probably due to boredom when NOT performing

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I agree, I DON'T want to turn this into a bashing Elvis thread but yes Elvis was accountable for his own personal and mental health. On the flip side he was a victim of drug dependency, given to him by a man (Dr. Nick) who was star struck and fame hungry. Dr. Nick just wasn't objective when it came to Elvis he was like all the other sycophants Elvis was surrounded by, unable to say NO! So on one level I agree.... but on another I don't

I don't agree here sorry. I travel approx 45 mins to get to work, I work on average 11 hours a day (sometimes more) and then travel approx 45 mins to get home. I work bloody hard without the huge benefits Elvis had, don't get me wrong I don't begrudge Elvis in any way. Just wanted to keep it real.

Well Matt you know my take on personal and mental health for any individual.
    Genes play a role, upbringing plays a role etc.
    But lets remember if you have a mental health issue -its hard for anyone to be completely accountable-if you have a mental health issue you are not thinking or reacting to life-as someone who has good mental health does. You are thinking off kilter, paranoids do not see life as you or I. Neither do manic depressants nor anyone with some type of psychosis.
    (Not that I'm saying Elvis had any, but he obviously had his problems however you want to judge them)
    If Elvis would have been able to sleep properly and not had the lifelong sleep problem I think his life would have been very different.
    Its sad that someone in the 50s did not get him into some kind of sleep management program or analysis of some kind to conquer his sleep problem-instead of giving him sleeping medication to mask the problem temporarily.
    IMO the sleep problem is key in a lot of ways to the drug dependence which spiraled in his life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast