Thread: E Laughing

Question E Laughing

What is it Elvis is laughing at on a live version of Are you lonesome tonight ?

What ever it is certainly makes elvis

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    It depends on who you ask.

Some people have said it was in response to something Millie Kirkham did vocally, but I think that's an assumption based on his saying, "Sing it, baby!" I think that was simply in reference to the fact that he's up there cracking up and she's still singing flawlessly as if there's nothing funny going on.

Others say he just cracked himself up over the "gaze at your bald head..." line and couldn't ever get over it.

Then there is the story that in response to Elvis singing that, a guy in the audience lifted the toupee' off his head to acknowledge that the question did apply to him, and that's what put him over the edge.

Whatever it was, it sure makes for an entertaining listen.

...you won't forget me when I go.

laughing

If you listen to the entire concert that Elvis did, you'll notice he was on the verge of laughter for the entire show. It sounds to me like there were probably some inside jokes before he even made it to the stage, and he was just in the mood to not be able to keep them out of his head. Been there, done that.

Jim

"Are You Laughing Tonight?"

So many stories have appeared since the official release of this version on the Silver Box Set "Elvis Aron Presley" from 1980.

In later concert years it was the butt of another laughable situation which occurred between E and Charlie Hodge when Charlie held the microphone for him whilst he played guitar on this number. Apparently, during the spoken part of the song Elvis would direct it to Charlie whilst he was still holding the microphone.

This particular 'laughing' version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" from Vegas 69 hit the Top 30 in the UK Charts in 1982...it is one of the best novelty records ever released that charted.

NEA.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    If you are ever feeling blue this is the track to play..... My brother loves this song and still has a copy of it even though he is not an Elvis fan.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by NEA
    In later concert years it was the butt of another laughable situation which occurred between E and Charlie Hodge when Charlie held the microphone for him whilst he played guitar on this number.
    To name one example, this routine was captured via 8mm at the Kansas City show June 1977

Although Charlie held the mic in a similar fashion during other numbers ('Blue Christmas' and in Pittsburgh 'Reconsider Baby') my guess would be the following photographs from Dec 1976 were taken during the AYLT routine. What tremendous photos they are too (any photo experts know who took these shots ?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vegas dec 76 copy.jpg  

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Cadillac King
    There is another story as regards this song. Apparently a lady started running toward Elvis and was actually on one of the tables when she put her hand out to steady herself and knocked a guys toupe off.

Anything where Elvis is laughing is enjoyable to listen to. He and Charlie during one of the takes of Down In The Alley is hysterical. I think it's even funnier to listen to than AYLT......
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

As everything he did his laughing came out of his soul. It's difficult not to laugh hearing Elvis' laughter.

Hell yeah!

If there's a more genuine laugh out there, I wanna know about it!

As has been stated, there are a number of POTENTIAL explanations for this - but no one really knows. Aint that delightful in its own way? Greek myths have been around for thousands of years yet we already have plenty of our own that have formed in less than a century! There have to be hundreds for Elvis alone!

Some people have said it was in response to something Millie Kirkham did vocally, but I think that's an assumption based on his saying, "Sing it, baby!" I think that was simply in reference to the fact that he's up there cracking up and she's still singing flawlessly as if there's nothing funny going on.
    I like the sound of this explanation - but it doesn't mean I believe it any more than the others (just to keep things objective). During the rehearsal concert for the Aloha From Hawaii telecast, Elvis actually cracks up at Kathy Westmoreland's voice during the performance of "Something". In the main show, if you watch carefully enough, you can still see him struggling to suppress a laugh.

This what John Wilkinson said about it:

"You mean the ?Are you lonesome tonight laughing version?? There are 2 stories behind this event. I mean that mine are right. There was a man in the audience who was not so fond of Elvis but his wife was and he was a little embarrassed about this, when his wife started to go towards the scene to have a chance to see and come closer to Elvis. The man was a little bit behind his wife and he had a ?toup?? on his head that slowly started to fall of his head. The first in the band who notified this was Charlie Hodge who pointed it out to Elvis. When Elvis saw this scene that was rather funny he changed the text to ?do you gaze at your bald head and wished you had hair?. Then this song was completely lost when everyone noticed this man and we were all only laughing to the end of the song. At the end of the song the man had got his ?toup?? on right but he was rather embarrassed. This is my version and I consider it to be the correct one."

Interesting... Thanks Elvis-4-Ever for posting this information. And sure is a delight listen Elvis' laugh. Don't you think?
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Coming On Strong
    He had a VERY infectious laugh! Love it! Maybe we need to start a thread about our favorite recording of him laughing!
    Before Elvis, there was nothing....

Backstage Pass
    i heard that elvis saw a bald man in the audience and when he sang "do you gaze at your bald head and wish you had hair" he started cracking up!
    ADRIANNA

i got the ALL SHOOK UP c.d. a couple of weeks ago,this is where the aylt laughing version came from,elvis was in a very funny mood all that night,laughing all the way through this concert.i recommend this c.d. very highly
    LETS BE FRIENDS!

Elvis certainly did have a infectious laughter! Makes me smile. That's a very funny story about the guy's toupee. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories.

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy; 09-30-2005 at 02:42 PM. Reason: sp

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Cadillac King
    I guess know one will ever know why Elvis laughed, but he laughed with pation. He ment it and it's great to hear Elvis having fun. He had so much humor that some don't even understand why he had such fun. That's the way Elvis was.

Take care and be safe,

Christel (TCE)

In the movie "the Trouble With Girls" there is a scene in a hotel room where he is cracked up by the female lead, who is giving him a lecture on union rights. I think its the only time in a movie where he actually was laughing for real. I f you watch it you can see he is obviouslycracking up over something. I've often wondered what they used to get him to laugh so hard? It could have been the actress playing the union sterwards performance I guess. But that laugh is so funny to watch.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Good call on that, KPM. I've commented about that before. It's like the camera kept running after the director called 'cut' or something, because it does seem to be clear that it is a genuine laugh directed at someone off the set. Also, unfortunately, the laugh seems to be dubbed in, perhaps by someone else. I suppose that whatever may have been making Elvis laugh was making enough noise to necessitate that.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.