Thread: elvis looking different

elvis looking different

Good Afternoon!

I ran across this picture on another website. It is supposed to be in circa 1970. I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that Elvis started to look very different from this point in time forward. I can't put my finger on what it is--I know it's not because of a different hair style, the tan, clothing, eyeliner (?) or even the perspective of the picture. There seems to be something with his eyes--and the general shape of his face...or the combination of the two. I've seen other pictures from this time frame, and I think something changed in Elvis' appearance. Is it my imagination?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails micelvisenpris1qb.jpg  

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I don't know specifically contributed to this is either, but in this period he seemed to take on an overall manlier look, I've always thought.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

TCB Mafia
    i know what you mean, he looks a little different on that picture

That mysteriuos phenomena is called hit the 35 years old...

Im just kidding don?t get It bad; I know what you mean; since Elvis 69 concert season he seems to have been doing a lot of excercice, for the Feb 1970 season he looked as if he relaxed a little bit, but for the August one (TTIW) he never looked that I don?t how to put it, that excerciced?, by the September tour he looked in perfect athletic shape probalby never looked that good, and by the november Tour he never looked that slim except for the lake Tahoe 71 season; by the november 71 tour he looked in shape, the his personal problems take a toll, and he looked not to good in Elvis on Tour which is a shame cause, well cause he has being filmed, by the June Tour, the madison Square Garden one, he looked as if he have been pulling weights, but there is that strange chubby thing on his face like in Elvis on Tour, and thats funny, he looked pretty bad on Elvis on Tour when he apears on the Burning Love suit and in the BLue Owl (the dark blue one) but sudenly he looked Great when he appears in the light blue suit.

In the Aloha he looks great again but then, caboom!!!, he seemed to be trying to get back on shape by the summer of 74, and the rest, well we all know.

What did I wanted to say? oh yea, he looked suddenly diferent in 1970, I guess he was doing a big deal of excercice to be in shape for the concerts, but also I have read that he recived vitamin shots and somekind of hormones to be I don?t know, up when he was on tour, so maybe that had something to do... or maybe im just to sleepy now and writing nonsense... maybe he just looked like that cause he wasn?t 25 anymore...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copia de ltbluefan70b.jpg   Copia de ltbluefan70.jpg   p7008aad.jpg  

60's%20late%2046.jpg  
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 08-05-2005 at 11:42 PM.

Wow! Thank you for all the insightful comments! I'm actually glad that Elvis looked more "grown up" during these years. Maybe he shed his boyish- or androgonous-ness, and suddenly became Manly Man!

I don't know if it's been mentioned before specifically about Elvis, since he didn't arrive in the public eye as a child, but he really did grow up right in front of our eyes (well, with a 30-year delay for some of us!)

I think that, looking at these pictures from the 70s, it goes to show that Elvis was, indeed, seriously (terminally?) ill by '76 - '77.

Thanks again for all the info!

And there's something else.....don't forget you're looking at a picture. It's just a captured moment in time. He could turn his head or just put on that smile and everything changes again. There's is another picture from this same event where he just looked as he was. He was a man with a thousand faces, a thousand expressions so don't let one picture fool you.

Interesting question..

Obviously, a man's face changes a little bit when he gets closer to his 40's. It's an appearance completely different when compared to a 20-year old. This is completely normal.

I guess the eye phenomenon is explained by Elvis developing glaucomia (is that spelled correctly?).. This is an eye disease and he was having trouble with this in the early 70's. It can lead to blindness, it's pretty bad.

Elvis may have had diabetes. I'm not sure of this, but my friend has got diabetes and these people may appear more swollen or ' chubbier' than they really are. I don't know if it really had anything to do with diabetes, often these symptoms come from some sort of medication. Some pills are definitely the cause of a chronic problem with water in the body.. It may be hard for people to get rid of body fluids.

It's well known Elvis was having quite a few problems with internal organs and he may have been treated for this with medication. It could be explained by the poverty from his childhood - he often lacked nutrition, at least quality and probably quantity as well.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 08-06-2005 at 02:29 PM. Reason: minor error

from 1968 till about 1971 elvis was the best looking man ever ( and i include myself in that comment )

seriously it just shows that if youre not exactly attractive when youre in youre teens, ( elvis had serious acne problems when he was younger )

you could blossom into a truely MAGNIFICENT SWAN
    LETS BE FRIENDS!

Backstage Pass
    Adelaide, South Australia...Where the best wine in the world is made:Where we make the Pontiac GTO:

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cutiepie
    Good Afternoon!

I ran across this picture on another website. It is supposed to be in circa 1970. I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that Elvis started to look very different from this point in time forward. I can't put my finger on what it is--I know it's not because of a different hair style, the tan, clothing, eyeliner (?) or even the perspective of the picture. There seems to be something with his eyes--and the general shape of his face...or the combination of the two. I've seen other pictures from this time frame, and I think something changed in Elvis' appearance. Is it my imagination?

Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    he was going through thr divorce when that pic was taken, so he had heaps to worry worry about, what has pris got in her hand (maybe a whip)...
    Redroo

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    That's a microphone and the photo was taken well before the divorce or even the separation, actually. But that's not to say everything was hunky-dory.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Don't underestimate the impact the longer hair and larger sideburns had on his appearance as the 70s moved on. There are some points where he looked a little chubby in the face - especially in close up - and wasn't at all chubby. It's even possible in some shots to think he was a little chubby in the cheeks in Aloha, which of course is nonsense. Elvis' hair should never have got longer than in TTWII, especially when he did start to lose the weight battle. It did him no favours at all.

I found this statement on Kathy Westmorelands website. I've never heard of this before and don't know if it's true? If it is, this would have affected his looks, I'm sure!

Yes, Elvis had bone cancer. He told me himself when I first met him in August 1970. Also, the doctors told three of us the day of the funeral, that it had been confirmed during the autopsy. It had spread all over his body, but is NOT what killed him. Just caused SEVERE PAIN and exhaustion.

When cancer spreads to the glands, it also causes bloating. Elvis got bloated for more than one reason. It was NOT FAT! IT was WATER RETENTION from the congestive heart disease, the spread of the cancer to the glands, and the twisted, spastic colon. I could just touch his hands, and my touch left an indentation. He would just look at them, stare and say..."look, swollen, bloated again....water." It hurt him greatly that people thought he was 'just fat' as he said. One day he would appear bloated (which is what all the news shows - the tabloids in particular) and the VERY NEXT DAY, he would appear his normal, svelte thin self (which the media NEVER DOCUMENTED).

This is going to be shown to be true in a new book that is coming out by a fan, a dear friend, Sandi Pichon, who followed our tours and who took photos from day to day. Guess history is just stuck with this falsehood about an important historical figure, too, sadly. And about the HEART ATTACKS...Yes, he had at least THREE just prior to his death. One occurred while I was taking care of him in Baltimore, Maryland. He just refused to go to a hospital, to lie there and 'wait to die'...said,"I want to die on stage".

... Elvis also suffered from pernicious anemia (his body could not metabolize B complex vitamins), diabetes, GLAUCOMA - extremely painful vascular headaches from this, and seizures (inflammation of the brain from all of the illnesses... which, if you read about seizure disorders can make a person APPEAR TO BE DRUNK OR DRUGGED. CHECK OUT 'EPILEPTIC SEIZURES' OR SEIZURE DISORDERS. THEY MAKE ONE APPEAR TO BE DRUGGED OR DRUNK on many occasions.

Also, Elvis and his dad were sufferers of 'sleepwalking'...when Elvis was a child, he found himself outside in his underwear. He was so embarrassed. We always had someone guarding the door of our room so he would not just walk out in his pajamas! I caught him many times doing this. He would bump into things and injure himself on occasion. THIS WAS A CLINICAL SLEEP DISORDER... thus the sleeping pills to help here, and remember, no one knew THEN what we know NOW...about how dangerous prescription drugs (he only took five or six different ones) And.... There were NO BETTY FORD CLINICS THEN.

We all trusted doctors implicitly in those days. Elvis HATED ILLEGAL DRUGS, and really wanted to be a doctor. He had TOTAL trust in them. In defense of the physicians who treated Elvis, THEY DID NOT KNOW OF THE DANGERS IN THOSE DAYS EITHER! Thanks for the fantastic question. Sure wish the entire world really wanted to know the TRUTH and not just scandalous trash about anyone. It still grieves me.

- Kathy
    Last edited by Albert; 08-18-2005 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added a few empty paragraphes for easier reading

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Interesting thread, indeed...I don't think that El looks different than usually (circa 1970-71)...and I have to agree- he looks here GREAT-tanned, slender, masculine...I guess it's because of the forthcoming tour...as we all know, Elvis always tried to get himself in better shape when touring (and all this for us, his fans )...I wonder is it the Memphis sun that made him so tanned? I guess so... and looking how Elvis looked in TTWII here's the proof of his good shape and looks
    Yes...you called, honey?