Thread: New CD-boxset?? Hitstory...hmmm

New CD-boxset?? Hitstory...hmmm

I think bmg/sony are running out of ideas...another re-re-release of 30 # 1 hits, 2nd to none+ an 3rd CD called: the story continues, man this is one bad release, i really hope that they cancel this project!! Nothing new on the 3rd disc, maybe these songs were the songs that weren't 'strong' enough for 30 #1 and 2nd to none, so to combine them with those 2 releases, they hope to sell it...how many versions of the big hit releases do they want to push us down the throat? I know that the company will say: you guys don't have to buy everything we put out..but come on..another greatest hit cd for the mass market? whatdo you mean overkill? but for all those who want to know the tracklist(s) here it is;

"History" (3-CD)
    Release Date; Oct. 4, 2005

Disc 1: ELV1S 30 #1 HITS

Heartbreak Hotel
    Don't Be Cruel
    Hound Dog
    Love Me Tender
    Too Much
    All Shook Up
    Teddy Bear
    Jailhouse Rock
    Don't
    Hard Headed Woman
    One Night
    A Fool Such As I
    A Big Hunk O' Love
    Stuck On You
    It's Now Or Never
    Are You Lonesome Tonight?
    Wooden Heart
    Surrender
    His Latest Flame
    Can't Help Falling In Love
    Good Luck Charm
    She's Not You
    Return To Sender
    Devil In Disguise
    Crying In The Chapel
    In The Ghetto
    Suspicious Minds
    The Wonder Of You
    Burning Love
    Way Down
    A Little Less Conversation

Disc 2: ELVIS 2ND TO NONE

That's All Right
    I Forgot To Remember To Forget
    Blue Suede Shoes
    I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
    Love Me
    Mean Woman Blues
    Loving You
    Treat Me Nice
    Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
    King Creole
    Trouble
    I Got Stung
    I Need Your Love Tonight
    A Mess Of Blues
    I Feel So Bad
    Little Sister
    Rock-A-Hula Baby
    Bossa Nova Baby
    Viva Las Vegas
    If I Can Dream
    Memories
    Don't Cry Daddy
    Kentucky Rain
    You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
    An American Trilogy
    Always On My Mind
    Promised Land
    Moody Blue
    I'm A Roustabout
    Rubberneckin' (Paul Oakenfold REMIX)

Disc 3: THE STORY CONTINUES

I Beg Of You
    My Wish Came True (**)
    Fame And Fortune

I Gotta Know
    Flaming Star (**)
    Follow That Dream
    One Broken Heart For Sale (**)
    Kissin' Cousins (**)
    Such A Night
    Ask Me
    Ain't That Lovin You Baby (**)
    Easy Question (**)
    I'm Yours (Single Master) (**)
    Puppet On A String (**)
    Love Letters
    Separate Ways (taken from elvis by the presleys?)
    Steamroller Blues (taken from elvis by the presleys?)
    If You Talk In Your Sleep
    My Boy

(**) the weakest songs of the 3rd cd, not saying that those songs are bad, but just not good enough for a strong enough greatest hit cd! By the time 2nd to none came out, the reviews weren't that good, and it was a pretty good album, i don't want to know what the critics gonna write about this latest escape...
    Last edited by mn-designs; 08-05-2005 at 07:35 PM.

It's funny that no other fan has placed a reply on this upcoming release...come on guys and girls what do think of this one? as you can read i'm not happy with this new release. Maybe they can make more albums in the line of rhythm and country? just bring the essential collection back to life! bring us a volume 7!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Patrick, everybody else is looking forward to it, you weirdo!

Yes, this is certainly pathetic. How many releases now does this make for the E1 material?

And a 3-disc set? The serious fans and others who bought E1 or E2 will most likely not buy it. And it is even more unlikely that any new fans will be won over with this release. If you liked other artists but were considering seeing what the big deal is with Elvis, would you buy a 3-disc set of his or a single disc and one or two CDs from your favorite artists?

And I must agree, Patrick, that although I enjoy most of those songs on Disc 3, overall it's a rather weak collection and doesn't do much at all to enhance the series. (I personally enjoy E2 more than E1 in terms of the songs, so this Disc 3 here represents a huge step down to me.)

Lame, lame, lame! We're always surprised at these things, though by now you'd think we'd be immune to the insanity. I guess we just assume that there must be some degree of business sense or sense of duty to the artist that one day is going to come shining through. Well, to be fair, with the Comeback and Aloha DVD sets, they seemed to be doing right and it looked like we were on the right track.

But this set is a such a joke.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

A very Stupid Idea... they will be burning out Elvis again, those are no brain produts for no brain people, making look Elvis as a no brain artist, which is suh a dam shame for those no brain people.

I wonder if Elvis never made a deal with RCA, and signed with Atlantic or Columbia; those same kind of stupid executives where the ones who ruined Elvis carrer over and over, remember those stupid camden releases in the 70?s, man those just burned Elvis attempt to left the awfull soundtracks in the past, who could be as ***** to burn all the posibilities of a Single like Burning Love on an album of crapy already been released songs; those camden where lousy, and they confuse the people about which was the new ELvis album.

And even those new albums weren?t a big deal, they where great because Elvis music is great, but as albums, with a few exceptions they were dummy, remember 1971 Love Letters, or Elvis "The Fool" album? Fool indeed; they where great songs in those albums, but a good album is not just about some good songs, is about how are you gonna put in context those songs, like in Elvis Country, thats a good example, but its almost the only one.

There are so many great projects that can be done with the richness of material that an artist like Elvis left...
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 08-05-2005 at 10:42 PM. Reason: I made a mistake?

Cadillac King
    seriously, i can not believe that tracklisting. now with 2nd to none, they included thats allright mama and that was'nt even on the charts, i think they could include some more SUN singles like 'blue moon of kentucky', and 'mystery train', and i don't think they need to be top 20 singles either, what about 'hurt?, T-R-O-U-B-L-E? they are FANTASTIC material and i'm not happy with the tracklisting of this compilation, i will not buy it
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Cadillac King
    I have for a long time lost all sense of respect for RCA/BMG/FTD and whoever is in charge -or not- of the Elvis catalogue. Period.

I have stopped purchasing almost all of the material put out in the last 2 years, save for a very select few: and that too because of the one odd "new" song those SOBs added knowing that it would get us fans to buy it.

dissapointing.. you've got a point there, yes indeed..

Shamey shamey shamey for RCA... Too bad they try to keep Elvis out of focus.

It's true that sometimes an Elvis album cointains very good songs, but lacks context, production and/or promotion. Elvis country is a nice album because it fits a certain mood.. But then again, this album is also badly produced because they fitted ' I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago' on the end of quite a few songs, even in cases when the songs haven't had their fade-out yet - it sounds very strange and incoherent.

I also dislike the overdubs very much. The pure sound is better because you'll get to hear more of Elvis' voice which is all important - and of course you'll notice the original musicians who played with Elvis in the studio, not just some strings artificially attached by some sound engineer (I'm sorry Felton Jarvis, this is the way I feel about it..)!

If I had the chance I'd also dim some of the female singers.. Sometimes they think THEY are the solo artists and try to literally outscream Elvis. The Sweet Inspirations often did this and on some occassions they deserve to be silenced!! In my humble opinion Elvis could just as well have used a roman catholic boy choir.. they tend to scream the same way
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 08-06-2005 at 02:50 PM. Reason: minor error

Red face added songs to hitstory

this is my comment on the new box set hitstory due in october if your a Elvis fan you will buy it even if you have the first 2 discs because its the whole package together with the third disc that will tempt the fans to buy it however the 3 disc should have the same amount of songs as the first and 2nd discs 30-31songs. with the inclusion of these following songs it would sell like hot cakes T.R.O.U.B.L.E HURT PIECES OF MY LIFE PLEDGING MY LOVE I CAN HELP FAIRYTALE IF YOU DONT COME BACK RAISED ON ROCK with these extra songs you would be turning a good release into a fantastic one

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Let's face the truth: the comeback of Elvis in the early 2000s had very little to do with BMG. It's all thank to Nike/Junkie XL. That song pushed Elvis to the top of the charts and made way for an E1 album.

Junky XL clearly stated in interviews that he wanted to use a pretty unknown Elvis song 'because the famous ones are nothing new'. This guy wanted to show the world a new side of Elvis.

Same goes for the next huge hit: Rubberneckin', again a hardly known Elvis song from a less known Elvis period (the post 1960 period).

And what does BMG probably think? That THEY are the ones that brought Elvis back in the charts considering the huge sales of E1 and E2. They couldn't even get the covers to match eachother and failed to make E1 and E2 to look a like a serie of 2 albums.

Right after the promise of BMG that they would cut the catalogue and release a few essential albums and compilations, they started trying to duplicate the success by simply releasing more and more of the same sort of compilations. Result: the non-Elvisfans again don't know what to buy and the cd-shops top ordering Elvis cd's.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Let's face the truth: the comeback of Elvis in the early 2000s had very little to do with BMG. It's all thank to Nike/Junkie XL. That song pushed Elvis to the top of the charts and made way for an E1 album.

Junky XL clearly stated in interviews that he wanted to use a pretty unknown Elvis song 'because the famous ones are nothing new'. This guy wanted to show the world a new side of Elvis.

Same goes for the next huge hit: Rubberneckin', again a hardly known Elvis song from a less known Elvis period (the post 1960 period).

And what does BMG probably think? That THEY are the ones that brought Elvis back in the charts considering the huge sales of E1 and E2. They couldn't even get the covers to match eachother and failed to make E1 and E2 to look a like a serie of 2 albums.

Right after the promise of BMG that they would cut the catalogue and release a few essential albums and compilations, they started trying to duplicate the success by simply releasing more and more of the same sort of compilations. Result: the non-Elvisfans again don't know what to buy and the cd-shops top ordering Elvis cd's.
    Was E2 a hudge succes? i believe not, only in the US it sold enough to earn a gold award and with some re-releases it became platinum. And what do we get this year?.....right...E1 and E2...i really believe BMG is going for the diamond award for the E1 release. Sometimes i think and hope that we all stopped buying the new releases and only buy FTD releases!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN....IT'S OFFICIAL....
    RCA IS NOW COMPLETELY DEVOID OF ANY KIND OF CREATIVITY!!!!

What an ABSOLUTE abomination!!!! I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I read the tracklisting for the 3rd disc of this proposed set!!! I do have to say, honestly, that I was wondering when RCA would get around to re-releasing E1 and E2.....you knew it had to be coming sooner or later!! (This reminds me of the whole fiasco surrounding the PLATINUM box set back in the late 90's, when RCA released the 4-CD box set, then turned around a few months later and re-released the set in two 2-CD sets with several songs deleted! THAT was pathetic, but I honestly think RCA has topped that here!!!! )

According to the update I received from EPE, HITSTORY will be a set "spanning his entire career from 1954's 'That's All Right' to 1976's 'Way Down'". The update continues, "this deluxe three-disc set combines two landmark collections of Elvis's indispensable smash hits with a brand new compilation of more essential Top 20 singles." Now I am curious....when did "Flaming Star", "One Broken Heart For Sale", "Kissin' Cousins", and/or "(Such An) Easy Question" become ESSENTIAL?? Yes, they certainly are fine songs in their own right, but ESSENTIAL??? For new fans just discovering Elvis for the first time, I certainly don't consider those songs ESSENTIAL....and for veteran Elvis fans...well, I won't even bother finishing that thought....

But the WORST part of this whole idea, in my opinion, is that HITSTORY will be sitting on the store shelves RIGHT next to copies of E1 and E2!!! It would be one thing if E1 and E2 were deleted from the RCA catalog, but they aren't (at least as far as I know), and whenever I look in my local record stores, I always see plently of copies of both titles sitting there....and now they will be sitting there, right next to a certain-to-be OVERPRICED "deluxe" box set with a 3rd disc of songs that while nice to have, are HARDLY essential enough to warrant the cost of this box set!!! Let's face it....MOST people these days are on a tight budget, and if they have the option of purchasing a single copy of E1 or E2, or a OVERPRICED box set, which one do you think they will be most willing to pick up first???

I wonder if we could start a letter writing campaign to RCA to voice our displeasure with this new release and flood them with so many e-mails and letters that they HAVE to start reconsidering some of these incredibly lame releases!!!

Needless to say I am a bit steamed by this news....

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Cadillac King
    Mike, I doubt any amount of emails will get those bozos to change their decision. I suspect they have pressed too many copies of No 1 & 2 and now need to clear up their warehouse, probably some hot shot consultant or smart alek high up in the ranks has convinced whoever is responsible for releases that this is the best way to clear the load and rake in money.

While there are many who heap praise on Ernst -how come no one takes him to task for these absurd releases - even on FTD. Notice how many tracks are being "recycled" - whichever way you want to justify it ? The contradictory statements put out for the restricted release of the FTD and the reasons for it high price is laughable. If they have the fans welfare in mind- then sell it to anybody / shop who comes forward- we shall then see who is overcharging.(please dont give me that crap about how the average Joe public will be confused)

Does he ever give a straight forward answer ? Ask him who decided on the tracks for this disc three - he most probaly will say that " it is a policy decision that I am not allowed to comment upon" - or some such banal line. Yet he is the head honcho who can do no wrong.

One thing is for sure, they have managed to kill my interest in most things Elvis - I simply have stopped buying CDs.

Sorry, just had to let off some steam.

new cd bo set

seems to me like bmg is not interested in giving the fans what they want. instead they rerelease cd's we already have. they don't care what us loyal fans think i'm discusted about this also.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbgude
    Mike, I doubt any amount of emails will get those bozos to change their decision. I suspect they have pressed too many copies of No 1 & 2 and now need to clear up their warehouse, probably some hot shot consultant or smart alek high up in the ranks has convinced whoever is responsible for releases that this is the best way to clear the load and rake in money.

While there are many who heap praise on Ernst -how come no one takes him to task for these absurd releases - even on FTD. Notice how many tracks are being "recycled" - whichever way you want to justify it ? The contradictory statements put out for the restricted release of the FTD and the reasons for it high price is laughable. If they have the fans welfare in mind- then sell it to anybody / shop who comes forward- we shall then see who is overcharging.(please dont give me that crap about how the average Joe public will be confused)

Does he ever give a straight forward answer ? Ask him who decided on the tracks for this disc three - he most probaly will say that " it is a policy decision that I am not allowed to comment upon" - or some such banal line. Yet he is the head honcho who can do no wrong.

One thing is for sure, they have managed to kill my interest in most things Elvis - I simply have stopped buying CDs.

Sorry, just had to let off some steam.
    DON'T BE SORRY JBGUDE!!! YOU ARE 100% RIGHT!!!

While I personally still have some faith in Ernst with the FTD label, I have absolutely NO FAITH when it comes to the main releases through the RCA label!

I simply can't bring myself to even consider purchasing yet another collection of "recycled" material!! In my opinion, by releasing HITSTORY, RCA is showing that they have simply run out of any kind of creativity when it comes to the mainstream Elvis releases!! THAT is truly sad....

Speaking of recycled material, isn't it about time for RCA to re-re-re-release another gospel collection?? It's been about 6 months since the last one, hasn't it???

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

SpaceCoyote
    No thanks, this is one too many re-releases for me.