Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'Ginger' Auction

The 'Ginger' Auction

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts and feelings about Elvis' ex-beau (?) Ginger Alden and her list of items owned by Elvis to be auctioned?

Check this link out...

http://www.lelands.com/itemlist.aspx...na&auction=505
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I am less concerned about any reasoning or timing issues and much more focused on the items themselves. (Of course, if one was to consider bidding, knowing such things would be important.) What an impressive collection! That this many items are up for auction which have been in the hands of the same person since Elvis gifted them to her 28 years ago is pretty awesome.

If I were in the market for an EP-owned item, I would definitely try for one of these items. The motorcycle jacket and then the ring would be my top choices.

I remember fairly recently that tour jacket and maybe some other things of Ginger's were listed on eBay. Some people wondered why she went that route; I guess she figured out that a reputable auction house was a better option.

Someone indicated to me that she never intends to sell her 11.5 carat engagement ring. Time will tell, I suppose.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Skeptical

Hi Lonnie,

I'm always somewhat skeptical about these items in any auction houses...I mean they talk about 'Letters of Authenticity', etc. but how can we really be sure that a number of these items are the 'Real Deal'?

I'm not too educated in the LOA's or Auctions departments but surely anyone could type out some kind of letter stating what it is?

That fantastic Biker's jacket looks like the real deal, right enough - truly awesome!

Has anybody actually seen any photos of Ginger's engagement ring or what she claims to be an engagement ring?

NEA.

I can't speak as an authority in the least on LOA's/COA's, but I do believe all these items to be legit. I can't support that, but that is what I believe.

If someone was motivated to bid on these items, he or she should communicate directly with the seller. Short of doing that, yeah, it's something of a crapshoot.

Sure, there have been fakes sold through other renowned auction houses, but that's by far the exception to the rule. I'm just saying that buyers would feel better about this sort of thing than if these items were on eBay among a thousand other fakes. I bet a number of the bidders on these items really haven't done their homework, based on their confidence in the auction name.

I used to have a pic saved of Ginger wearing that ring. It was a very high-res b/w photo taken some time in the 1980's, I believe. (Some time ago I moved all my pics to a PicServer account, which I at one point neglected for six months or whatever it was, which deactivated my account. ) The person who sent me the photo is who told me that she had no intentions of ever parting with it. It was also posted on the net with a copyright watermark. And I believe a pretty small version of that image appeared in Essential Elvis in the issue in which she was interviewed. I'll look around.

By the way, I never realized that biker jacket was silver at the bottom--always thought it was white!

Cheers...and White!

Lonnie,

Many Thanks for your info...

Ahhh, the biker's jacket white at the bottom - that rings a bell!

I can actually picture it in a b/w photo...but maybe my mind is playing tricks over the passage of time...unless EP had two?!

Food for thought...

NEA.

Well if I had the money to buy it, I would probably go for the Native shirt or ring. Thanks for the link, interesting.

That "My love, my life" waist chain is certainly beautiful, how can Ginger give somebody else this precious present???
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Mad Tigers
    Here is the engagement ring to Ginger. Also the story told by Elvis's Jewler. I hope this helps.

http://www.elvisjeweler.com/The_Elvi...ment_ring.html

Welcome to our board and thanks for the link, TQ35. Lowell Hays' website is pretty neat, and your posting that reminds me of something I learned from there before.

Although it shouldn't be a surprise that Graceland gets something like this wrong, it's worth noting because a lot of people don't know (which is due in large part to Graceland getting it wrong): it's not onyx but black jade in the TCB ring, which Mr. Hays chose for its durability.

Cadillac King
    That jacket would be great to have.....

As far as Gingers engagement ring goes, I hope she keeps it. But when the time comes, hopefully she will make some arrangements so it can be on display at Graceland....I wonder if Lisa would allow this. I would hate this ring to be in the hands of someone who really only looks at the $$$$ signs. After all, the diamond was originally in the TCB Ring, so rightfully it belongs at Graceland.
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

Quote Originally Posted by TheQueen35
    Here is the engagement ring to Ginger. Also the story told by Elvis's Jewler. I hope this helps.

http://www.elvisjeweler.com/The_Elvi...ment_ring.html

thanks for providing the link to this site queen35 i enjoyed looking at this site
    Elvis grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can
    and the wisdom to know the difference

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Thought I would add a few candids of Elvis wearing the biker jacket.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jacket 2.jpg   Jacket 3.jpg   Jacket 1.jpg  

Aha! That top right photo is the one I had in mind which had given me the impression it was white at the bottom. At a quick glance it does appear that way, but looking at it now it's obvious that it's silver. Thanks, Matt.

Coming On Strong

elvis jacket spotted in beverly hills

elvis jacket spotted in beverly hills, with aerosmiths steven tyler,,,just days after it was sold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_2872.JPG   DSC_2873.JPG   DSC_2874.JPG  

DSC_2882.JPG   DSC_2885.JPG  

Who is the lucky dog?

Coming On Strong
    his family name is murdock ,family is rich,,,,

Just an observation, the jacket on the guy photographed with Steven Tyler seems to be the same design, but yet the colourisation appears to be different to Elvis' jacket.

The red areas on that guys jacket in the photographs posted are largely blue areas on Elvis', are they not ? Below is also the auction photo, showing the largely blue areas in some detail.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Coming On Strong
    yep....thanks,,,,same design,different coat,,,,

Trust your instincts, Bob!

My first thought, not having compared them , was that the jacket would not have fit that guy so tightly.

Oh--I'm colorblind! Yeah, that's the ticket. Keeler, what's your excuse?

Anyway, and I don't just think this because it was EP's, but the blue design is the much cooler one of the two.

Coming On Strong
    saw the "elvis jacket" about a month ago on a web site,(for sale),,,,,,noticed the design in the silver jacket,,,,,,didnt know there were more than one jacket out there,,,,saw the same design on this guys jacket in beverly hills, hay, it was the same design,,,oops,,,,,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast