Thread: 1968 special

1968 special

Hi--

I have been watching the 1968 special (deluxe edition) and skipping around...mostly concentrating on the "sit down" and "stand up" concert segments. I just watched the TV show version, with the vignettes.

I'm wondering if there is a source out there that provides an analysis of the TV show--the vignettes/skits, etc. I'm still fairly new the the world of Elvis, so I'm quite confused as to what these vignettes were mean to be--books I've read says that Steve (?) Binder designed the show to represent Elvis' rise to fame...but the story that the vignettes present doesn't seem to match up with the biographies.

It would have helped if Elvis -- or someone else -- could have provided some narration. I'm thinking people who watched it originally might not know what's going on, since the show was edited with "concert" stuff along with the vignettes spliced in.

Near the beginning of the "sit down" concert, why did Elvis keep looking behind his chair? Someone mentioned having a plumber...?

In light of the recent thread about drug use, is it me, or did Elvis seem a little shaky -- hands seemed to be trembling during "Hound Dog"??

Thanks--sorry if I seem totally confused!

'Guitar Man' story

Hi Cutie Pie,

The story of the 'Guitar Man' production number was created in order to give the special a themed story throughout i.e. the rise and rise-again of a 'Guitar Man'. This was to tie-in with the 'Comeback' aspect of the special plus parts of Elvis' own rise to fame and to chronicle the overall creative aspect of Elvis' talent i.e. Singing, dancing, acting.

Elvis looking over his shoulder at the sit-down shows?....well, EP had a lot of distraction there with those pretty girls and they were so excited about seeing their man sing for them after all that time. I think Charlie Hodge referred to a plumber possibly due to the amount of waterworks (tears) that were shed due to the occassion?

Elvis being 'shaky' during "Hound Dog" - I think he was possibly feeling shaky along with sweaty palms and all during every song...any lesser performer would have not attempted to even step on that stage let alone try and sing a song...it would have been a nerve-wrecking experience especially when you have to re-connect with your audience after eight years in the Hollywood wilderness.

Cheers,

NEA.
    Last edited by NEA; 07-16-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Elvis being 'shaky' during "Hound Dog"
    Depending on which sources you consult, Elvis was INCREDIBLY nervous before the first stand-up show (his first live performance in the NBC studio) and either hid away in his dressing room or ran out onto the street. Either story - and they may BOTH be fictional - invariably ends with Steve Binder reassuring Elvis and getting him to come back.

Elvis looking over his shoulder at the sit-down shows?....
    Elvis looked over his shoulder excessively at the start of the first sit-down show through - again I believe - nerves. It's like he was deliberately trying to avoid starting up the song and ended up simply prolonging the agony. Gotta love his human frailties: there are MANY on display throughout the DVD footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic
    Elvis looked over his shoulder excessively at the start of the first sit-down show through - again I believe - nerves. It's like he was deliberately trying to avoid starting up the song and ended up simply prolonging the agony. Gotta love his human frailties: there are MANY on display throughout the DVD footage.
    Are there any instances that I should keep a lookout for?

Nervous excitement, true passion, joking around, uncertainty, flirtatious behaviour, frustration/anger... the whole spectrum!

There are examples of all of those things scattered throughout the Comeback Special. But I'll give you a couple:

Flirtatious behaviour:

Check out the blonde that Elvis is with in the "Bordello" sequence (i.e. watch all the takes on the third disc).

Frustration/anger:

Observe as Elvis gets annoyed with himself when flubbing the lyrics to "Guitar Man" during the "road" sequence (i.e. again, consult the third disc). "Swingin' little mutha grabber! and "God **** it!"

The Blonde

Checking out the blonde in the out-takes of the bordello scene will open a very private door that was about to open for Elvis and model/actress Susan Henning (the blonde)...it is very entertaining and also a revelation in itself!

I think it was at this point Priscilla was about to embark on her affair with her own ballet instructor (?), No I don't mean Mike Stone (lol) - 'tit for tat' that's what I say...sad thing about it is Lisa-Marie at this point was just 4 months old.

NEA.
    Last edited by NEA; 07-17-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Trivia

On a trivia kind of theme - Ms. Henning (the blonde) also played the Mermaid model who Elvis ('Greg Nolan') photographed by a pool in "Live A Little, Love A Little".

Cheers,

NEA.
    "I oughta break you in half!"...

"If you do, you'll have two very short friends!"