Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis In Concert

Elvis In Concert

Short introduction: June 1977, Elvis had signed with CBS television for an anniversary TV Special. Two concerts were filmed by CBS: Omaha and Rapid City. The television special aired after Elvis' passing on October 13, 1977.
    The recordings on this cd were taken from forementioned concerts.
    The original album release charted on October 29, reached #5 and was certified platinum.

Tracklist:

01. Elvis Fans Comments / Opening Riff
    02. Also Sprach Zarathustra
    03. See See Rider
    04. That's Allright
    05. Are You Lonesome Tonight
    06. Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
    07. Elvis Fans Comments 2
    08. You Gave Me A Mountain
    09. Jailhouse Rock
    10. Elvis Fans Comments 3
    11. How Great Thou Art
    12. Elvis Fans Comments 4
    13. I Really Don't Want To Know
    14. Elvis Introduces His Father
    15. Hurt
    16. Hound Dog
    17. My Way
    18. Can't Help Falling In Love
    19. Closing Riff / Special Message By Vernon Presley

20. I Got A Woman / Amen
    21. Elvis Talks
    22. Love Me
    23. If You Love Me Let Me Know
    24. O Sole Mio / It's Now Or Never
    25. Trying To Get To You
    26. Hawaiian Wedding Song
    27. Fairytale
    28. Little Sister
    29. Early Morning Rain
    30. What'd I Say
    31. Johnny B Goode
    32. And I Love You So

Recorded: Tracks 06,11,18,27,28 & 32 - Omaha, June 19, 1977
    All other tracks recorded at Rapid City, June 21, 1977
    Original album release: October 1977
    CD released: 1993
    Essential: yes

Score:
    Contents: 9
    Sound: 8
    Artwork: 7

More information:
    Last edited by Sonny; 01-28-2007 at 06:30 AM.

Elvis In Concert : revisited

I have revisited this very important album/CD again just recently, and it is a remarkable recording. I have come to appreciate it all the more because it captures such a special moment in Elvis? time.

During the last year of his life, Elvis? voice got bigger than ever, though he was obviously physically deteriorating. Almost every song (the ballads in particular) took on an intensity and power that was not present before. The almost operatic tone is especially present in songs like ?How Great Thou Art? and ?Hurt?. Elvis is reaching for the ceiling with his vocals in way he never did before. Maybe he was trying to make up for the fact that he wasn?t able to do as much physically as he used to. Or maybe the sadness in his life and circumstances had wounded his soul to the point he could not help but express this through his music.

The move toward the sad ballads had increased as the years progressed, especially after his divorce. But during 1977, the pathos and regret he expressed through the songs are almost too much to take. Consider lines like ?the shadows follow me, and the night won?t set me free? from ?And I Love You So? or almost any of the words to ?You Gave Me A Mountain?. Elvis had sung these songs before, but never with the intensity of these performances. There?s little doubt in my mind that Elvis was providing us a window into his soul with these songs.

It?s not only the ballads that are given a special treatment. More upbeat songs like ?Trying To Get You?, and ?Fairytale? are sung with a new passion. Only the most familiar oldies does he seem to walk through. ?Hound Dog? and ?Jailhouse Rock? are pretty standard performances until he tacks on incredible, powerful endings seemingly from nowhere. Country and blues flavored tunes like ?I Really Don?t Know? and ?Little Sister? are sung with the ease and soul of a seasoned blues-man.

There are some embarrassing moments captured on the album - Elvis stutters, stammers and seems to loose his train of thought at times, Charlie has to remind him of the title of ?My Way?, among other moments. In some strange way, though they can be heartbreaking, they add to the experience. Elvis is doing his best to give the fans all he can, and the bond that made that relationship special comes shining through. I have no idea if Elvis had any premonition that the end of his life was coming soon, but he seemed determined, despite everything that was going against him, to prove something before the CBS cameras.

Thanks for letting me share.
    Last edited by nashville cat; 03-08-2007 at 02:45 PM.
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    This section should be left to excellent reviews like the above and thus my post should soon be deleted, but I just wanted to thank nashville cat for sharing his thoughts with us on this album. Your analysis is spot-on, at least with my personal assessment of the material. I'm glad that your recent revisiting of this album was such a positive experience...I am now thinking of treating myself to the same.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT YOUR REVIEW NASHVILLE CAT IS...

WOW!!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Thank you all for the very kind comments about my review. It's sometimes a difficult record to listen to, but it certainly touches your heart!
    "I can't see my reflection in the water. I can't speak the sounds that show no pain. I can't hear the echo of my footsteps. I can't remember the sound of my own name" - Tomorrow Is A Long Time

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Lucky me recieved the Japanese paper sleeve 24 bit version of this cd today. Had me waiting for 6 weeks to arrive at my door but now its here I love it.
    Isn't the sound quality on the Japanese version ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Awesome review! I absolutely love this album and when i first saw this concert broadcast in 1977 it was one of the most exciting events in my life!!!!!Elvis' charisma and special magic completely overwhelmed me!

I think i'll try to get the Japanese version of this cd after hearing all of the great things regarding the sound quality!My mom gave me one of the greatest gifts i ever got when one day she came home with not only the CBS Special but also the Aloha double album!

Cadillac King

This is a must album for every Elvis fan of ANY age.

nashville cat has done a wonderful job of commenting on this release. I do, revisit this album/CD often.

IM

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    First off, that review Nashville Cat is great !!!

This is an album I find myself playing very often. Being a fan of 1977, I really enjoy both performances..A favorite of mine on it is My Way. That performance from the CBS Special will bring tears to your eyes but also make you smile from the great power Elvis delivers in the song. This album imo, is a big piece of the Elvis history, and all fans should have it or atleast get a chance to listen to it. Nevermind what you've heard about Elvis in 1977, he still could deliver a performance like no one else imo .
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Cheif77 View Post
    A favorite of mine on it is My Way. That performance from the CBS Special will bring tears to your eyes but also make you smile from the great power Elvis delivers in the song.
    RIGHT ON CHEIF!!!

In my opinion, ANYONE who can listen to Elvis sing HURT, MY WAY and HOW GREAT THOU ART from the CBS Special and walk away from it saying that he didn't have the vocal power that he had when he was younger (as I have heard said many times!) clearly isn't listening to the same Elvis Presley that we are!!!

TCB!
    Mike

hi just read nahville's post and i agree with him 100% for a long time for maybe 20 yrs i couldn't watch elvis on cbs special but last year someone gave us a copy of the omagh show from 77 when elvis sings How Great THou Art it sends chills when he reaches that note o often hear myself say go on elvis and clap like a mad woman if the cbs special does come out on DVD i hope the omagh show is on it

elvislady

I just finished remastering the elvis in the 90's version of this concert..
    And the sound is very close to the DSD releases from sony/bmg. I saved the tracks in 24bits wave files for optimum sound quality...i will soon upload a sound sample of this remastered version, with a A/B test so you all can hear what i did with these tracks..
    It's about time that sony/bmg or FTD will release this cbs soundtrack in upgraded sound..with the remastering done by kevan budd (he handles all the dsd releases from sony/bmg...

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Yip, it's a great cd Mike. But to me the most important thing is the small LP look these cd's have. Really makes them that much more valuable to have
    ABSOLUTELY UNCHAINED!!

I should have mentioned the VERY COOL cover that the Japanese CD comes in along with my remarks on the sound quality!!! But you are right....the mini-LP look for this CD (and the other Japanese CD's I have) is AWESOME!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    If you haven't gotten the Japanese Remaster, I strongly suggest that you do while it's available, because you'll love the sound quality of it....
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Cadillac King

Re: Elvis In Concert

This was my first recording given to me when I was 12, it is a part of me, very special!

International Level moody-blues67's Avatar

What i really like about this cd,is Elvis singing a great version of
    I really dont want to know. But i dont like the fan comments.

International Level elvispresleytheking's Avatar

Songs, such as My Way, Trying TO Get To You, You Gave Me A Mountain, If You Love Me Let Me Know, and How Great THou Art are just able to blow you away, as well as Unchained Melody, still don't understand why it wasn't included.

This is a great album, but I wonder if FTD will release their own version remixed/remastered, no commentary by fans, more songs, etc.
    What I would REALLY love to see is a package including the audio recordings of the concerts that were filmed for Elvis In Concert in their entirety.

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast