Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did Elvis really regret that he lost Priscilla?

Cadillac King
    Everyone has an opinion on this, and you get the difference camps...'I like Priscilla'.....'I don't like Priscilla'....I like Linda'...and so on......even the MMM have differing opinions on this subject, and they were there, so how could we know......My own personal feeling is, and I'm only going on different things I have heard, read and seen, is that Elvis liked the idea of a 'family'...and that is what Priscilla and Lisa represented to him. Priscilla had an extended family also, her mother and father were still together, she had siblings...whereas Elvis had various cousins, but that was all. I think he liked the idea of having someone waiting for him to come home. Was Priscilla the love of his life? I don't know.....but from all that we know about Elvis and the charm he had, I'm sure he made all his ladies feel they were the number 1.
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

i think priscilla was the love of his life, and the 3 womans that elvis loved were his mother , priscilla and lisa.
    Many people said that elvis was forced to marry ( wich i believed pris's father did) but because elvis make a promise when he wanted priscilla in graceland so he took that choice.
    And also if you listened all his songs made after the divorce all said about a separation, that he loved (always on my mind, separate ways, it's over...)
    And if you had the concert desert storm you will listen that elvis really loved her and he didn't even care that much Sheila or linda (because i believe in 74 he was with the 2) , in this concert were priscilla, lisa and Sheila , and Elvis in the song It's midnight in the middle said " listen Cilla" and he also talked about how much they loved and take care of each other , that they were friends and then he said some comment on mike stone.
    So for me cilla was the love of his life

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by rachel162cl
    i think priscilla was the love of his life, and the 3 womans that elvis loved were his mother , priscilla and lisa.
    Many people said that elvis was forced to marry ( wich i believed pris's father did) but because elvis make a promise when he wanted priscilla in graceland so he took that choice.
    And also if you listened all his songs made after the divorce all said about a separation, that he loved (always on my mind, separate ways, it's over...)
    And if you had the concert desert storm you will listen that elvis really loved her and he didn't even care that much Sheila or linda (because i believe in 74 he was with the 2) , in this concert were priscilla, lisa and Sheila , and Elvis in the song It's midnight in the middle said " listen Cilla" and he also talked about how much they loved and take care of each other , that they were friends and then he said some comment on mike stone.
    So for me cilla was the love of his life
    I STILL THINK : If she was the only women he really loved, why he didnt try to keep her? I have read that Elvis promised Priscilla several times that he will change...and he apparently did not. That is why i doubt he truly loved her otherwise he would do everything to be with her!!!( Maybe it was just the easiest way-- after the divorce he could do whatever he wanted without fear that Priscilla will know) Anyway nobody here havent convinced me yet. My arguments are very strong, I think!
    Destination deals the cards we're just playing.

My Thoughts

I truly believe Elvis always loved Priscilla even after the divorce but was it enough losing her to make Elvis rethink why he lost her and Lisa-Marie in the first place. Could he have changed his ways and did he ever promise Priscilla he would try and change? I think he did but like some people I know promising to try and change and actually doing it is far more difficult than one could image even for that someone you love. Elvis lived the life of a king and why would he not he had it all but the one thing he probably wanted more than anything in life was a family to have and to hold forever. I think the biggest shock was not losing Priscilla but the fact that it happened to him!! How could any man that as everything lose the two most precious people in his life. I adore Elvis and always will but being the wife of a man who had that kind of stature and power must have been difficult and to try and keep it all together on a day to day basis must have been a struggle for all.

love and peace,
    Susan.
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

and you know who..

Well, it is a very difficult matter to adress. Is it really true that Elvis told Kathy Westmoreland in August of 1970 that he already knew to have developed bone cancer? I read that somewhere, if it sounds too crazy to believe I will try to look it up.

If that were to be true, Elvis may have known to be dying (though slowly). In that case, I can definitely understand him wanting all the support and love from Priscilla. It wouldn't be too hard to figure out that it really must have broken his heart to lose the presence of his beloved daughter.

I thought that, at times, Priscilla really tried hard to keep Lisa-Marie away from him. Again, I will have to search for the details surrounding this subject if it sounds too unbelievable to comprehend. I thought this happened somewhere in the early 70's.

And didn't Priscilla have an affair with the Karate teacher, Mike Stone? I wouldn't even know who has committed adultery first, but in this case it would have been after Pris and El' got married. You can't really blame Elvis for seeing other ladies (Ann-Margret for example) before Priscilla and he got married. The Elvis from 'On Tour' (1972) was having sex with other ladies at that time, Elvis said so himself, but I can imagine a guy doing that if his wife has affairs with other men!

Anyway you look at it, Priscilla ain't no angel herself and although I think of her as a responsible mother, she has some strange traits too.
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 08-21-2005 at 05:55 AM. Reason: minor error

I think Elvis did regret losing Priscilla. I mean...how couldn't he?? She was the mother of his only child, his first and only wife, and probably his first absolute TRUE love. I think Elvis was heartbroken. And if Priscilla ever came back to him, I think he would have taken her back in a second. But that's just my theory.
    http://i5.tinypic.com/14jcahe.jpg

"Man, I was tame compared to what they do now. Are you kidding? I didn't do anything but just jiggle." --Elvis in 1972

Visit my website dedicated to the King!

http://www.geocities.com/iloveelvis0...withelvis.html

Regret..

Well, at lot has happened, some things for the worse and some for the better. The most important thing is that we keep in mind that the past is there unconditionally from our desires and that we need to go on with our lives.

It would be all too easy to say something like 'the truth hurts, doesn't it Cilla? Oh sure, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts'!

At least Priscilla has proven to be a responsible mother, that's very positive!! She may have had some difficulties on an emotional level, but when two persons struggle there are two at fault, obviously.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    I think in the beginning Elvis truly found a young girl who hung on his every word and helped him through his grief at the loss of his mother! As for the early 60's I think Elvis was busy playing the field, there was a quote I heard from the 50's that sent the Colonel in to a fury, I think it was the following "Why have an apple when you can have an orchard" this for me pretty much sums up how Elvis felt in his teens and 20's.

Elvis also commented when he was interviewed on his return about the girl he left behind and that it wasn't a big deal. So who did the chasing?

Over the years I think Elvis wanted very different things from the woman friends he had, after Pris had Lisa things changed in a big way, the house had become a home for his own daughter. Given that Pris was growing up too had to effect their relationship, Elvis' mother had died at a very young age and through this relationship a polarized and sainted view had been ingrained on how a mother should act and behave. Did pris conform to this Image?

Elvis lead a bachelor lifestyle, this would perhaps have been overlooked in the early days by pris but how long would you realistically be able to put up with that kind of behaviour especially once Lisa had been born?

All said and done I think Elvis loved Priscilla in different ways in different times! Did he regret getting a divorce, perhaps yes, perhaps no. I think Elvis' pride had been hurt and that would have proved to be a very difficult hurdle to surmount given his stature.

Ultimately Elvis was very secluded from Priscilla and the other woman in his life, not being able to share his inner thoughts and fears which left him a lonely sole who increasingly depended on his medication to get through.

I think Elvis wanted the idealistic family waiting at home by the fireside, especially in the mid 70's with the gruelling tours. Linda was there for Elvis but you get the feeling that most of the woman had there own agenda.

Elvis MADE history....................... unfortunately, Priscilla re-writes history.

I certainly think Elvis would have an altogether different view of priscilla now! and perhaps not for the better

Matt

Agree 100 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Very good and true points

Now, I'm not the biggest Elvis expert (Oh, Captain ) but it's obvious that Priscilla has been trying for the longest time to rewrite history to her liking. She's creating her own fairytale.
    It's odd, though, that a woman of her alleged intelligence seems to be forgetting that Elvis has pretty much been living a life in a fishbowl as the most talked about, written about and most photographed person on the planet. It's like when someone like Michael Jackson or Cher denies they've had multiple plastic surgeries: the world has been a witness to much they have been doing during their lives and people therefore remember.

In Priscilla's case, the world - at least that part of the world that has been paying attention - has witnessed several versions of her truth now, changed as it most accommodates her at the time she changes it.

In her version, Elvis was the one who persued her, Elvis was the one who couldn't live without her, Elvis was the one who wanted to get back together etc. etc. etc.
    Fact is that teenager Pris went on a hungerstrike after Elvis had returned to the US, that SHE bombarded him with letters begging him to let her come over (Elvis was busy enough entertaining Anita Wood in Memphis and tons of starlets and co-stars in Hollywood, remember?), and after her visit with him I guess she'd made up her mind that one way or another, she was going to be with him.
    Did Elvis love her? Sure, but there are different kinds of love, as we all know. I think he may at first have been struck by her physical beauty, and he was still in mourning for his mother, living in a different country, not doing his regular job, which made him more vulnerable when he confided in her. That may have caused him to say certain things that may not have had as much meaning to him, but could be perceived as quite serious stuff by an awestruck teenager......
    Did he invite her over? Yep, he sure did. He may have thought it would be a one time thing, pleasing that pretty fan of his from Germany. He may have thought of her as another pretty girl to have a fun time with. Did he make promises to her about marriage and spending the rest of his life with her? Probably, it is documented as such not just by Pris but by others, too.
    Did he intend to keep them, or at least when he made those promises, realize the weight a young girl would read in them? Who knows....
    Fact is that more than enough folks around Elvis claim that he was more or less tricked into marrying her, into keeping his "promises".....

Everybody knows Elvis had a hard time being faithful to his women, and most of his women knew and accepted this. When you think about it, Priscilla was one of the first "other women", since at the time she entered Elvis' life, his girlfriend was Anita Wood, and he also dated several Frauleins in Germany - more than once.
    He continued this bachelor lifestyle throughout his relation and later marriage to Pris. She knew it beforehand, yet she insisted on becoming Mrs. Presley. Why? Others had dated him, and had left him when they found out he couldn't just be loyal to one woman at a time..... Ulterior motives perhaps?
    Anyway, the marriage went downhill, he cheated her, she cheated him, they separated and divorced. She gave interviews right after her divorce in which she did NOT mention that she and Elvis "saw each other all the time" but only complained about him being possessive and that now she could finally become "her own woman and prove that she was her own person with her own talents". To enforce that, she insisted on going back to her maiden name Priscilla Beaulieu, and tried - amongst other things - to make a name for herself as a fashion designer.
    Then Elvis dies, and who does little Lisa Marie call? Not mommy, but Linda Thompson......
    Priscilla Beaulieu becomes Priscilla Beaulieu-Presley again. Vernon dies, leaving Pris in charge of Lisa's meager inheritance.
    Did she do good for Elvis' legacy? Well, the upkeep of Graceland cost much more than she was making as a wannabe actress, so opening it to the public was a gamble, but in reality probably the only way to try and get some revenue from it. It worked. I think that's when Priscilla's pupils from then on were slowly replaced by dollar signs, as soon as she realized how loyal Elvis' fanbase was and how prepared they were to plunk down hard earned cash for even the most trivial souvenirs relating to Elvis.
    Priscilla Beaulieu-Presley became Priscilla Presley again and with the repolishing of the real Elvis story, the real Priscilla role in it got repolished as well. Re-written is a better term.

Did Elvis love her? Yep, I think first as a pretty, young fan. Later as a pretty young girlfriend he could mold to his liking, the pretty wife who gave him his only child, and the lovely ornament to show off on his arm.
    Did he resent her? Sure, when she didn't or couldn't understand his spiritual quest, when she began to mature and develop a mind and will of her own and later of course when she cheated on him with a guy HE introduced to her, and when she left and took his child with her.....

Was she the only woman he ever loved? Hardly...... Was she the woman he loved the most? Romantically? I wouldn't know, could have been Linda, too. Overall the woman he loved the most obviously was his mom.
    Did he regret losing her? Yep, but not necessarily because he loved her so much, but - in his mind - because he lost face due to her cheating on him with a "lesser" man. She humiliated him, in his opinion, in public. Everybody knew she had a relationship with the guy, except him. It probably cut as deep into his ego - if not deeper - as in his heart.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. Pris (and brainwashed Lisa for that matter) bring out the worst in me, hehehe
    I agree with you 100 percent.... You have hit the nail right on the head. As one of the older Elvis Fans I believe you have spoken the truth as it should be said ... to many people want to stick up for cilla and Elvis is not here to speak for himsef GREAT JOB!!!!! dOVEY

anyone knows in what concerts elvis introduces priscilla and lisa or when they were there in the audience because i know desert storm and True Love Travels On A Gravel Road anyone knows else

Oh Frank - I Feel Like Such A Fool

It is my opinion that Priscilla is a clever businesswoman and not the only woman ever loved by Elvis. Of course it is kind of special for her to be the mother of his only child so, yes, I think he cared for her and did regret losing her and the fact that he saw Lisa Marie less often was very tough..

I'd like to advise Priscilla to either listen to Elvis' recording of 'I Really Don't Want To Know' (especially 1977 versions) or to go to Oprah. Another possibility would be for her to co-star with Leslie Nielsen (Frank Drebin) in another Naked Gun sequel as Jane Spencer. The role she plays in these movies fits her perfectly; often doubtful of Frank, going from manlovingness to manhatingness to manlovingness in just a few hours and of course be tempted by villains.

Though I must admit it's better for a child like Lisa-Marie to have A MOTHER than not to have any mother at all or some old hippie without responsibility who just.. leaves (that's what I've been through and I wouldn't recommend it to any other child)!

The following words are s? Priscilla, if you know what I mean!!

Jane Spencer: Oh Frank - I feel like such a fool. I never should have doubted you.
    Lt. Frank Drebin: There, there. You had no way of knowing the man you were dating was a vicious, murdering psychopath.

Re: Did Elvis really regret that he lost Priscilla?

Very well written Cherokee.

I think that people who love Elvis having never met him feel that they could have done a better job of loving him. And I don't think those people are wrong. Priscilla didn't look after him.

.. I think that Elvis didn't get to work out the benefits of fidelity and a quiet life because he died at 42 amidst all the hurly burly. He visited hospital a lot and even liked visiting! This to me says that he needed a break that the 70's concerts were too much for him. If he'd lived today he'd have been hauled off to a re-hab centre in the early 70's and my feeling is that he'd have lived much longer. Would he have chosen Priscilla to go into old age with him? No I don't think so. She has admitted that they weren't suited to each other or even similar!

I don't believe that Elvis and Priscilla were ever deeply in love with each other but I do believe Elvis had a lot of affection for her and with that and not having her and Lisa around as a family had to cause some pretty strong aches. I believe Priscilla left him because she wasn't getting the attention and what she wanted from him. I think she wanted the same recognition he got from the public not thinking that his talent was the reason for it and that she expected it to just rub off on her as a matter of course...doesn't happen.
    Last edited by Diane; 03-11-2011 at 11:47 AM.

International Level Tigerman1975's Avatar

I kind of always got the impression that he was more enamored with the idea of her than he was being with her. So whose to say.
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands.

Re: Agree 100 0/0

Excellent post Dovey..I couldn't have said it better...But IMO, I think "Cilla" was a big wieght around his neck & he was axious to get rid of her. His ego was bruised & that is why he wanted to work it out..not because he couldn't live with out the "Gold Digger"
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

]

In a nutshell, I think Elvis did love Priscilla but probably only in the beginning. Yes he probably cared for her but not in teh way it was at the start...and I think a lot of that was down to where he was in his life - just after Gladys had died. I think her leaving him was more a blow to his ego than anything. I dont think Elvis was the marrying type at all. He was always going to play away. As did Priscilla, as we now know.

But trying to keep it short (and failing !!) if elvis had truly loved Priscilla he would have tried to change the way he lived his life. Of course he could never be a 9-5 husband but he could have changed some aspects. He didnt. That surely says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by michu View Post
    Hmm but if she was the only women he really loved, why he didnt try to keep her? I have read that Elvis promised Priscilla several times that he will change...and he apparently did not. That is why i doubt he truly loved her.
    I disagree. I think Elvis did love her, for a time at least. The problem is that Elvis was incapable of being faithful to any woman, whether it was a casual or long term relationship. Elvis just had too many tempations and gave in to them. I'm not judging him because he was in an unusual position, but that's the way it was.

Cadillac King

Do any of us "know" what love is? Especially enough to judge another persons feelings or ideas of love ,along with the fact that we didn't know either of them personally? All I've ever seen said is that Elvis was looking for someone to love him for himself, not for what he could give them. Unfortunately, I've seen very few people {that really claimed to know him} that didn't want something from him. That includes family, friends and fans.

Backstage Pass

First off you have to think that love was a priority. It wasn't. She was infatuated with him (all women were) but her priority was being rich and famous and being his wife was the way to get that.(that was told to me by more than one family member) After she had Lisa, she didn't need to be his wife anymore for that.
    And he was infatuated with her. But even Billy said by the time they were togeather for 5 years, he had had enough of her. Very bored with her. But he ended up having to marry her.
    It's hard to be with out some one you have become used to having around. I think that was hard on him but mostly not having "a family" and Lisa. She wanted back at one time and he told her no. If he loved her he would have jumped at the chance. He knew she had used him by then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast