Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did Elvis really regret that he lost Priscilla?

Re: Did Elvis really regret that he lost Priscilla?

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieT View Post
    . I think that was hard on him but mostly not having "a family" and Lisa. She wanted back at one time and he told her no. If he loved her he would have jumped at the chance. He knew she had used him by then.
    I agree. I think it was more the "idea" of a family he missed the most, as opposed to the actual person.

TCB Mafia

excellent posts here
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I think in the beginning Elvis truly found a young girl who hung on his every word and helped him through his grief at the loss of his mother! As for the early 60's I think Elvis was busy playing the field, there was a quote I heard from the 50's that sent the Colonel in to a fury, I think it was the following "Why have an apple when you can have an orchard" this for me pretty much sums up how Elvis felt in his teens and 20's.

Elvis also commented when he was interviewed on his return about the girl he left behind and that it wasn't a big deal. So who did the chasing?

Over the years I think Elvis wanted very different things from the woman friends he had, after Pris had Lisa things changed in a big way, the house had become a home for his own daughter. Given that Pris was growing up too had to effect their relationship, Elvis' mother had died at a very young age and through this relationship a polarized and sainted view had been ingrained on how a mother should act and behave. Did pris conform to this Image?

Elvis lead a bachelor lifestyle, this would perhaps have been overlooked in the early days by pris but how long would you realistically be able to put up with that kind of behaviour especially once Lisa had been born?

All said and done I think Elvis loved Priscilla in different ways in different times! Did he regret getting a divorce, perhaps yes, perhaps no. I think Elvis' pride had been hurt and that would have proved to be a very difficult hurdle to surmount given his stature.

Ultimately Elvis was very secluded from Priscilla and the other woman in his life, not being able to share his inner thoughts and fears which left him a lonely sole who increasingly depended on his medication to get through.

I think Elvis wanted the idealistic family waiting at home by the fireside, especially in the mid 70's with the gruelling tours. Linda was there for Elvis but you get the feeling that most of the woman had there own agenda.

Elvis MADE history....................... unfortunately, Priscilla re-writes history.

I certainly think Elvis would have an altogether different view of priscilla now! and perhaps not for the better

Matt
    i couldn't agree more with that! well said Matt
    "you don't know it until it hits you"

you're the tea in my coffee - i'm the coke in yer choc

I'm not sure why someone would fight so hard to have a person close, risk the press finding out that an underage female was living in his house as a girlfriend and not have some sort of love be involved.
    I also can not imagine that when losing that person it would not cause some pain, sorry, longing-wishes that it all had ended happily.
    Elvis IMO wanted a marriage totally on his own terms-his rules, his way......it just does not work that way. In the 40s and 50s that was the way it was in many households...right or wrong.
    If I treated my wife in some of the ways he treated her-she would have shown me the door long ago
    I could not tell my wife how she should dress, wear her hair, makeup etc.....she would tell me-I have my own opinions. I could suggest what I might think-but thats different.
    When Priscilla finally began to voice her own opinions her own wants, choices-Elvis's idea of marriage was over.
    Now before its claimed I am defending Priscilla-that is not what I am doing-it takes 2 people to make a great successful marriage and 2 to destroy one.
    I think anyone who has got divorced feels a level of regret and failure.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I don't believe that Elvis and Priscilla were ever deeply in love with each other but I do believe Elvis had a lot of affection for her and with that and not having her and Lisa around as a family had to cause some pretty strong aches. I believe Priscilla left him because she wasn't getting the attention and what she wanted from him. I think she wanted the same recognition he got from the public not thinking that his talent was the reason for it and that she expected it to just rub off on her as a matter of course...doesn't happen.

I think you have right.
    And and one more, such great artist never has " normal" life.
    I'll Remember You!!!

Backstage Pass

Elvis fight hard to have her close,,,oh Elvis loved a challenge, it is the pursuit remember. He didn't risk much since she was kept in hiding pretty much. The idea of the hair and make up even Priscilla has changed her version.
    But yes, marriage was on his terms, in some ways completely self-centered. But just as he was giving her the freedom she longed for,,,she left...go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I'm not sure why someone would fight so hard to have a person close, risk the press finding out that an underage female was living in his house as a girlfriend and not have some sort of love be involved.
    I also can not imagine that when losing that person it would not cause some pain, sorry, longing-wishes that it all had ended happily.
    Elvis IMO wanted a marriage totally on his own terms-his rules, his way......it just does not work that way. In the 40s and 50s that was the way it was in many households...right or wrong.
    If I treated my wife in some of the ways he treated her-she would have shown me the door long ago
    I could not tell my wife how she should dress, wear her hair, makeup etc.....she would tell me-I have my own opinions. I could suggest what I might think-but thats different.
    When Priscilla finally began to voice her own opinions her own wants, choices-Elvis's idea of marriage was over.
    Now before its claimed I am defending Priscilla-that is not what I am doing-it takes 2 people to make a great successful marriage and 2 to destroy one.
    I think anyone who has got divorced feels a level of regret and failure.
    excellent post as always Ken................
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

I think Priscilla and fans in general are very unfair when they talk about their marriage. Elvis was not a good husband in my opinion, but I also see how Elvis part of the blame is always "written in bold capital letters" while Priscilla is constantly excused for the way he behaved. She voluntarily married a man that was being unfaithful to her from day one, she took a lover just after Lisa was born, and they had only been married how much time? 10, 11 months, a year? Finally she left because she found a new love interest, if we can believe Priscilla's story it was the second lover she took. No one forced her to cheat, she was exactly like Elvis.
    My point is I can't see any difference between what Elvis did and what Priscilla did, so I can't understand why Elvis is usually blamed for the failure of that marriage and Priscilla is seen as a victim of him.
    Seeing how she's acted since the way he died and learning about her other relationships, I'm sure Elvis would also have a lot to say about his life with her, and those things probably wouldn't be nice.

Their marriage didn't work, yeah, so what? Those things happen every day to thousands of people, I don't think is something to moan about the rest of your life. Life goes on and people eventually get over it, specially when you are young like they were and you can support youself financially. I can't see the big drama here, plus both Elvis and Priscilla were with someone else even before the divorce was signed. It seems neither of them wasted their time to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I think Priscilla and fans in general are very unfair when they talk about their marriage. Elvis was not a good husband in my opinion, but I also see how Elvis part of the blame is always "written in bold capital letters" while Priscilla is constantly excused for the way he behaved. She voluntarily married a man that was being unfaithful to her from day one, she took a lover just after Lisa was born, and they had only been married how much time? 10, 11 months, a year? Finally she left because she found a new love interest, if we can believe Priscilla's story it was the second lover she took. No one forced her to cheat, she was exactly like Elvis.
    My point is I can't see any difference between what Elvis did and what Priscilla did, so I can't understand why Elvis is usually blamed for the failure of that marriage and Priscilla is seen as a victim of him.
    Seeing how she's acted since the way he died and learning about her other relationships, I'm sure Elvis would also have a lot to say about his life with her, and those things probably wouldn't be nice.

Their marriage didn't work, yeah, so what? Those things happen every day to thousands of people, I don't think is something to moan about the rest of your life. Life goes on and people eventually get over it, specially when you are young like they were and you can support youself financially. I can't see the big drama here, plus both Elvis and Priscilla were with someone else even before the divorce was signed. It seems neither of them wasted their time to me...
    I agree, both were to blame in their own way for the failure of their marriage.

Cadillac King

[QUOTE=KPM;392159]I'm not sure why someone would fight so hard to have a person close, risk the press finding out that an underage female was living in his house as a girlfriend and not have some sort of love be involved.
    I think anyone who has got divorced feels a level of regret and failure.[/QUOTE]

Speaking from experience I'd have to agree. After all the fussing, fighting and hurt feelings are past; come regrets and you wish you'd both tried harder . Especially when you have children together. I wouldn't have stood for my husband trying to tell me how to dress etc. either.

Personally I think the whole "Elvis told Priscilla how to dress" is blown way out of proportion.

I'm by no means one of those people who have to wear the latest fashions, but if my husband is after a new shirt and picks one out and I pull a face, we won't buy it. Also if I like a top or dress that my husband dislikes I will also think again. If one of us really wants it then we will buy it - but we consider the others' feelings. Many a time I've said to my husband "you cant wear that to ....(fill in gap)..." as I bet we all have at some point or another. I just think this is one of the things that is said over and over about Elvis and it just seems a little over the top..

I think Donut has it about right. Their marriage didnt work, so what. I'd have been more surprised if it had worked, given the circumstances. It had everything going against it. Elvis on the road, Elvis cheating, Priscilla cheating, them meeting when Priscilla was only 14 - she was bound to have changed over the course of 10 years - she grew up... How many of us are the same at 24 years old as we were when just a kid at 14?

I think if Elvis were alive and talked about his marriage and relationship with Priscilla (I can't see that somehow though, I think he was more private), we would see both sides and it wouldnt be such a huge deal. As it is, we only hear her side and of course it is going to be biased and make Elvis look the "baddie" and her not so. That's life and that's human beings for ya!
    Last edited by May; 03-17-2011 at 04:28 AM.

TCB Mafia

i think Priscilla is given way too much credit in his life. Way too much importance.
    It's hard NOT to imagine Elvis as perfect; how else could someone be THAT good looking, THAT talented, THAT generous & THAT charismatic

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I think Priscilla and fans in general are very unfair when they talk about their marriage. Elvis was not a good husband in my opinion,

I liked Loretta Lynns songs when I was having marital problems.She expressed my sentiments...... Moderators: you need to put an "I agree" button on here to click. Save time and space.

It's amazing how songs DO help when going through emotional upheavals.

take that with a big grain of salt

as you would with any author who is out to get the target of their book - Child Bride is to Priscilla as the Goldman book was to Elvis.
    _________
    there is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Nina's Elvis blogs: http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/elvis-index/

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    take that with a big grain of salt

as you would with any author who is out to get the target of their book - Child Bride is to Priscilla as the Goldman book was to Elvis.
    I never thought of it that way, but I think you're right .

TCB Mafia

i think her truth lays somewhat it the middle altough i am convinced Finstadt did good research. Of course if one seeks long enough one finds the persons who say exactly what you hope they will say you know what i mean.
    Maybe Finstad had alreaddy more or less her opinion about Cilla and found the right persons to share toughts.

I can be wrong but i got a pretty good feeling about her parents int he doc EBTP.

I don't believe her homelife was so bad and her steph dad was such a jackass.

I think Cilla was very spoiled and i do think her mom was charmed by the attention Elvis had for her little girl and i'm also sure Cilla was kinda pushed in that relation too. I also believe that indeed dad Beaulieu did pressure Elvis into that marriage but I can understand his viewpoint here too.

The book will be a mix of truth of gossip and of exagerations but that is always with a bio about someone.

See around in our daily lives and pick a person. No matter who.

That person will be judged and known by others and EVERYONE will have a different view about him or her.

I don't hate Priscilla, don't like her either and like i said she is given way too much importance in his life. Elvis had a life before her and after her and didn't need Cilla to be remembered as the biggest icon the world ever had.

She just was a very lucky girl, one of many that met him and dated him.

Only circumstances mad her more fortunate then the others. Many circumstances and (some) stupid descisions of Elvis himself.

He and Pris were no match. But he wanted her and he wanted her as quick as possible with him. Persuaded the parents, made promises and such. I think the lonliness of the house and the fact his dad was so soon remarried played all a role in Pris her favour.

Had Gladys lived , I think Pris would never have been more then maybe a footnote in his life.

Lots of IFS

I also think IF he had remarried and lived a more healthier life , Pris would have vanished and would never have been mentionned again in his life or hardly.

Faith took a very twisted turn and brought Pris the importance that she would never have had otherwise.

His early death
    the poor descisions of a sick and frail Vernon.......
    having his only kid and heir

all in her favour.

Interesting post riley.

Interesting and pretty much the way I feel about Pris too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast