Thread: 'The World's Most Photographed' - UK

'The World's Most Photographed' - UK

Hi Guys,

Any British fans watch the first in this great half hour series tonight (Wednesday 6th July) - 'The World's Most Photographed' on BBC2?

It featured some great snaps from 'Pop' Photographers Mr. Wertheimer et al. A number of photos I had never seen before which covered Elvis at Sun in 1954 through to Germany & Paris in 1959. There's also a great wee story about the famous 'tongue to tongue' photo from 1956.

A great half hour about our man but in the last minute or so it was tarnished by the reference to 'bloated', 'junk food', '14 different drugs found in his body'. Nevertheless, a good half hour that also featured some short, grainy clips of Elvis giving and taking the scripted 'punches' in the fight scenes in his movies.

So, a worthwhile viewing and I was impressed with the amount of photos I had never seen before - they made up for the last minute or so.

NEA.

Last Minute

I totally agree what great pictures especiallly the ones with Elvis and the STRIPPERS great story too but the last minute was horrible when they said he was 20 stone and had 14 drugs different drugs found in his body,that was unimportant to the fact they were talking about the photographs and not his medical state at the time. So he was 20 stone but is it not just the shell to which we use and it is the soul inside that counts.

Love and peace,
    Susan.
    Yesterday was the past and tomorrow is the future but today is the present ..thats why we call it the gift"

"Never listen to a liar it takes too long to find out the truth and my time is too precious"

"Without you I am only half of me"

Right on!

Right on Susan!...thanks for your post...it was a very rare and interesting half-hour indeed. But, it appeared that the controversial last minute or so was just slapped together in a desperate attempt to reach a conclusion...it appeared as though they resorted to quoting from the usual tabloid trash of 1977. Great shame...I sincerely hope that Muhammad Ali gets a better treatment in the last minute or so of his tribute next week...'The World's Most Photographed' is on Wednesday evening, 7:30, BBC2.

NEA.

I watched this as well and thought it was very well done.

Except for the last few minutes as you both said.
    I don't know why they mentioned the drugs or Elvis'
    weight.Especially when the subject was about most
    photographed.I wonder what there be saying about
    the other famous people ?

TCE
    Lorraine

Elvis' weight is ALWAYS made an issue of. Did anyone see Channel 4's "Top 100 Pop Singles" or whatever it was called recently? When the entry for "A Little Less Conversation" came on, someone called Elvis "a fat buffoon in a jumpsuit". The derision never stops.

Glad

I'm so glad I didn't see or hear the piece of entertainment low-life who came away with that remark on that Channel 4 programme...what a blinkered viewpoint...oh well, you've got to pity the afflicted!

Mind you...

You always get a bunch of fat, bald-headed, bespectacled nobodies on those programmes who like to think they're media-savvy and fashionably hip by spouting all manner of insults and insinuations. As if they're God and their remarks go! Honestly, modern culture does not wanting you thinking for yourself - but thank goodness some people do!

The People's Choice

Well, no mention of Elvis this week (Wed. July 13th) in this Series, but another good half-hour, this time about Muhammad Ali. Ali's fascinating meeting with The Beatles was well-covered - great snaps too! This was when the 'pretty' one was still known as Cassius Clay.

It would have been great to see a snap or two of Ali with Elvis in Vegas in '73 - the time when The King awarded The Greatest with a robe and the words "The Peoples Choice" outlined in studded diamonds on the back of it. Apparently, Ali wore this robe only once due to losing the match he wore it at.

Is anyone considering going to the National Portrait Gallery to see 'The World's Most Photographed' Exhibition? Does anybody know the length of time (weeks or months?) it is there for?

Many Thanks,

NEA.

Backstage Pass
    Adelaide, South Australia...Where the best wine in the world is made:Where we make the Pontiac GTO:

Smile Nea

[QUOTE=NEA]Hi Guys,

Any British fans watch the first in this great half hour series tonight (Wednesday 6th July) - 'The World's Most Photographed' on BBC2?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Never saw it, do not have a TV, is it on DVD?...hey NEA you maybe able to help me out here...do you know about E holding a King Arther Crown in his left hand, and if you do, do you know if there are any pic of this...
    R...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Backstage Pass
    Adelaide, South Australia...Where the best wine in the world is made:Where we make the Pontiac GTO:

Smile Cryogenic

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic
    Mind you...

You always get a bunch of fat, bald-headed, bespectacled nobodies on those programmes who like to think they're media-savvy and fashionably hip by spouting all manner of insults and insinuations. As if they're God and their remarks go! Honestly, modern culture does not wanting you thinking for yourself - but thank goodness some people do!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Spot on man...these guys would'nt know E if he fell over them...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Backstage Pass

Smile Cryogenic

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic
    Elvis' weight is ALWAYS made an issue of. Did anyone see Channel 4's "Top 100 Pop Singles" or whatever it was called recently? When the entry for "A Little Less Conversation" came on, someone called Elvis "a fat buffoon in a jumpsuit". The derision never stops.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    They should read Red's telephone conversation with E then they may get half hip...glad i did'nt see it...it seases to amaze me why these people keep going on about his weight, Red knows he was there...
    R...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DVD & King Arthur Crown

Hi Redroo,

I think there is every possibility that the BBC will release "The World's Most Photographed" on DVD sometime after they have finished screening the series. I presume this is the way they'll go with it due to it being a Gallery Exhibition in London.

The King Arthur Crown....hmmm....is it possibly the 'mock-up' crown that Elvis had handed to him from the audience at the close of his January 14th, 1973 'Aloha From Hawaii' Satellite Show?? There are several pics available on the internet from the show but not too sure if there is a pic of the moment he is holding that crown....You might want to check out the galleries on this Forum.

Do you not have the "Aloha From Hawaii" Deluxe DVD set?....Worth a buy!

NEA.
    Last edited by NEA; 07-16-2005 at 06:02 AM.