Thread: The song "If I Can Dream"

Roustabouts

The song "If I Can Dream"

Can anybody tell if the song "If I can Dream" was ever sung live after the 68 TV special?

Thanks, Steve.

If I Can Dream

If I Can Dream was performed at Lake Tahoe, NV on August 1, 1971 (Midnight show)

"And before you abuse, criticise, and accuse Walk a mile in my shoes"
    - Walk a Mile in My Shoes
    http://tcbelvis.zoomshare.com/album/...8450/image.jpg

Roustabouts
    Thanks, I love that song. Do you know if there are any recordings of that concert?

Thanks again.
    Steve.

Roustabouts
    Ugh! I checked on a website and it indicates that he only uttered 3 seconds of the song on that concert. . Not what I expected. I really want a full version.

To the best of everyone's knowledge, Elvis never performed that song in concert. I guess he felt it was too special and wanted to preserve its singular use on the Comeback Special. He probably revered that song on a level he didn't even revere a gospel song and was too afraid he wouldn't be able to do it justice.

Roustabouts
    Thank you for the info.. I can understand why. I get shivers up my spine when I hear the song. Its one of my all time favorites.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    This is a great song, I like the gravel sound of Elvis' voice on this particular song although not on others.

Matt

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I am of the same opinion precisely, Matt, though I certainly acknowledge that the ferocious delivery of most of the songs on the Comeback Special seemed very appropriate for the situation career-wise that Elvis was in at the time. The special probably would have been considerably less effective had he done that any differently.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Beautiful song, great message.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

Great song and i agree with earlier comments ...

no way could he have matched that 68 performance ... wow ...
    still get shivers.

Backstage Pass
    this song is by far one of my favorites! it is such a beautiful song! i heard that it was about martin luther king and robert kennedy in some way? is that true?
    ADRIANNA

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic
    To the best of everyone's knowledge, Elvis never performed that song in concert. I guess he felt it was too special and wanted to preserve its singular use on the Comeback Special. He probably revered that song on a level he didn't even revere a gospel song and was too afraid he wouldn't be able to do it justice.
    Extremely well put, Cryogenic. This is my favorite song, and part of the reason it is so special is that it was perfect for that instance in time. What an ideal way for Elvis to put some perspective on one of the US's most turbulent years. A simple, yet moving message that did not play politics. To show that there will always be hope, as long as at least one person still has a vision. No one can equal that kind of performance now. All of us really lost something when he died.

Quote Originally Posted by sek1835
    Ugh! I checked on a website and it indicates that he only uttered 3 seconds of the song on that concert. . Not what I expected. I really want a full version.
    If I recall corrrectly, he sang the title, only ("If I can dream...") perhaps in response to a fan's request. I doubt he could ever have matched the intensity of the '68 versions, with that kind of vocal, but he may very well ahve come up with a diferent version, with a smoother and powerful vocal, that was still great. After all, those versions of songs like "Trying To Get To You," "Lawdy, MIss Clawdy," and "One Night" from 1968 were definitive, but that doesn't make the other (earlier or later) versions obsolete or somehow diminished.
    I'm a roving roustabout...

Backstage Pass
    does anyone know?
    ADRIANNA

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I believe that to be true, Memphisgurl. With the recent assassinations of Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King (in Memphis) weighing heavily on everyone's conscience in America, surely songwriter had those events in mind when he wrote it. Obviously, "If I Can Dream" echoes MLK's famous "I Had A Dream" speech, both in its title and content.

Piece of semi-related trivia: W. Earl Brown is also the name of the actor who played Cameron Diaz's (Mary's) brother in There's Something About Mary. "Franks and beans! Franks and beans!" When I saw that on the closing credits I was counting the years and trying to guess how old that guy is...No, it's not the same guy (in case there's any doubt).
    ...you won't forget me when I go.