Thread: new fan questions

new fan questions

Hi there! I'm so glad to have found this site! I'm a brand-new fan !! I honestly believe that there is nothing that exists today, in music that will ever match Elvis' caliber. I have a few questions--please bear with me, if you've answered these before:

1. In the 1950s, Elvis always wears a ring on his left pinky. What significance was this ring?
    2. I heard a version of the Beatles' "Twist and Shout" -- when did Elvis record that?
    3. Are there any pictures of Elvis with the Beatles, with Jerry Lee Lewis?

Thanks!!

Roustabouts

Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and the Beatles

Hi Cutiepie

(Q1) I will have to leave Q 1 to others.

(Q2) As far as I know, Elvis did not record "Twist and Shout". There are, however recordings readily available of the Beatles songs "Something" (see Aloha From Hawaii" CD plus others), "Hey Jude" (see Elvis Now - CD), "Yesterday" (see On Stage CD) and "Lady Madona" (see Esssential Seventies Masters Box Set).

Elvis reportedly jammed with the Beatles at his Bel Air home on 27 Aug 1965. Sadly, no recordings (if any even exist) have been released of this historic event.

(Q3) I don't know of any pictures with the Beatles, but I have attached a copy of a picture of Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis (also present are Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins). The picture incidentally is the cover of a CD featuring Elvis, Jerry and Carl jamming at Sun records back in the fifties (titled the Complete Million Dollar Sessions).

Hope this info helps.

Grantster
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Elvis.jpg  
    Last edited by Grantster; 06-17-2005 at 07:41 PM.

Roustabouts
    Hi, the famous meeting of Elvis and the Beatles, as yet has no recordings from the meeting, Paul McCartney has said that Elvis and John Lennon did have a very loose jam session, with Paul occasionally joining in, as for photos, i have only ever saw one, it showed the beatles leaving Elvis' home, heading towards their cars, you can just make out Elvis and Priscilla, standing in the doorway of the house.If i find a copy of the photo i will let you know. miller

I had to search for a while in my cd-roms (once in al while I burn all my pictures on cd-roms, saves disc space ). I knew I had the photograph that Granster had uploaded earlier but than in a better quality

Thefrankfortspecial did you mean one of my other attached photos? These come from TCB-World Gallery > 60s > Candids

Btw in the download circuit circulate some familair 50s songs as Be Bop A Lula a.o. sung (if you have to believe the file names) by Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis. You'll heare something that has to sound as Elvis in the 70s together with Jerry. (Nice musical accompanimention) Don't know if Elvis and Jerry had recorded together during the 70s (not likely). These songs sound very fake, and thats what they problable are. So don't be fooled Although you don't have to be an expert to notice the fake voice of Elvis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails THEMIL~1.jpg   john_leaves_elvishouse_med.jpg   beatles65.jpg  

Last edited by Geert; 06-17-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Back again After some "googling" found:

(sources:
    www.jessebarron.com/ home.html
    www.beatleschile.cl/ elvis_beatles.htm)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roundtheworld_elvis.jpg   beatles leeving.jpg  
    Last edited by Geert; 06-17-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Great pictures Geert

As far I know Elvis NEVER has sung Twist and Shout.
    Except there exist a Jam Tape with Elvis and the Beatles from the mid 60's.

thank you!

Hello!!

Thank you very much for responding and taking the time to think and research these pictures! Being a new Elvis fan, I have a lot to catch up on, which I'm enjoying more and more.

Re: Be Bop A Lula--I heard that song--it sounds remarkably like Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis to me...but I have only been seriously listening to his songs for a few months...especially the first few lines where Elvis (or not!) sings "Be Bop A Lula, my my babaaaaaayy" ... hmmm--I maybe I'm too naive, but it's amazing that someone else can sound like Elvis...

Re: Twist and Shout--I heard that song, and it was listed under Elvis Presley...I guess that may have been a mistake. It's just that Elvis had done covers of "Pretty Woman" etc., that sound better than the original artists. Did he ever do "Only You"?

I really appreciate your thoughts!! I've read several books on Elvis, with "The Inner Elvis" being the best so far...I like him more and more, as an artist, as well as a human being!

I've attached a Twist and Shout version that was also listed as sung by Elvis Presley, maybe we're talking about the same one?
    This is absolutely not Elvis but the Beatles (I think, I'm not very familair with the Beatles so excuse me if I'm wrong)
    By my knowing there indeed isn't a Twist and Shout version by Elvis. I think that becouse it's an rock 'n roll song some just thought that becouse it's rock 'n roll it should be Elvis and named it that way I guess.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Coming On Strong charlie rodgers's Avatar
    hi cutiepie

about that duet with jerry lee lewis and suposely elvis

it has its origin from a old " charlie/sun lp" called" jerry lee lewis and frinds,duets."
    and its absolutely not elvis ,i think maybe its ORION (aka the masked man)a singer who when he performed was whering a mask ,and some people at the time really believed that it was elvis behind the mask heres a link to some stuff on orion. .http://www.rockabillyhall.com/Orion1.html

by the way those duets with jerry aint really got anything to do with duets in the real sense
    it was just overdub that was recorded many years later on top of jerry?s original recordings.

elvis sang only you in some concerts in the fifties but sadly nothing on tape have surfaced yet

he never did pretty woman

but theres a snippet of him doing running scared really just the titlle line

by the way welcome to the wonderful world of elvis
    when you first get hooked theirs now way back

The ring?I guess you mean the horseshoe ring...I guess
    Destination deals the cards we're just playing.

thank you charlie rodgers and michu!

Good Morning from San Francisco!

Gosh, you are right, Charlie--there really is no turning back!! I would hardly believe it if I didn't feel this way--and it is so much fun!

Re: songs listed as sung by Elvis but are false...is there any way to tell the difference? I'm a little disappointed that I really like Be Bop A Lula, etc., and it is not even the real thing!

Re: the ring--from the pictures that I've seen, I can't discern if it is a horseshoe...is there some significance to this ring? He seems to always wear it, up until he went into the army.

Have a great day!!

Quote Originally Posted by cutiepie
    Re: the ring--from the pictures that I've seen, I can't discern if it is a horseshoe...is there some significance to this ring? He seems to always wear it, up until he went into the army.
    No significance to EP wearing a single pinky ring, other than it being a habit of his up until the early 70's (until he started wearing them by the fist-full).

50's "Horseshoe" ring was one of EP's first / earliest purchases after hitting it big. (I believe EPE has the reciept archived & there are pics. of EP receiving the piece in NY). EPE does not, however, retain the actual ring itself ---> because EP gifted that particular ring to an early MMM entourage member. (EPE, ironically, to this day, does not have many rings remaining in their collection precisely because of EP's generous habit of giving them all away).

"Army Years" "pinky ring" - I believe was gifted to Priscilla whom more than likely retains to this day.

--------------------

EP was personally partial to diamonds, sapphires, & onyx. You will note that the early horseshoe ring was multi-diamond & the "Army" pinky ring onyx.

Later on, he developed a liking to "Tiger Eye" & other colored stones (like his birthstone, etc.).

EP also designed a diamond & onyx ring in his last years - which is truly his last ring ever. Long story, short ---> ring is now in private hands (as are a very small # of others).

--------------------

Hope this helps, a bit.

Enjoy your journey of discovery - as a new fan.

- Capt. "EL."