Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Elvis foods

Guess all this sure belongs more to off-topic...but ok....I'm too shy....
    Yes...you called, honey?

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Fried pickles are fantastic. We have a place in town that's famous for them, that and their gargantuan cheeseburgers. BTW they also serve what they call Elvis Tupelo Chili--don't tell EPE , so called for its use of Tupelo beans, which Elvis supposedly liked.

But the reason I revived this thread was to tell you all about a special I caught last night on the Food Network about barbecue in Memphis. Elvis was mentioned a lot in the special, particularly when they talked about Coletta's BBQ pizza, which he really loved.

That's something I read about in one of those Elvis cookbooks you all are talking about but I hadn't heard anything substantiating that until I saw this special. And by the way, there are probably 4 or 5 different Elvis cookbooks out there. I've got a couple: Fit For A King and the Presley Family Cookbook.

Back to Coletta's...When pizza first hit it big in big cities like Chicago and New York back in the late fifties, it took a while for the craze to really spread throughout America. So a Memphis Italian eatery's solution to breaking in its local barbecue-loving patrons to this new dish was--naturally--barbecue pizza.

Elvis loved Mr. Coletta's pizza and had a special table in the back which they sectioned off whenever he and his entourage were coming. His son runs the place now and remembers Elvis being there on several occasions. He said he'd usually get the barbecue pizza but sometimes he'd just order spaghetti or lasagna. He showed a couple photos Elvis autographed with a note of thanks to them.

Only having read about this once in the past, I never sought the place out while in Memphis. Now I'll definitely have to!

Barbecue pizza isn't that uncommon these days, though usually it's barbecue chicken they serve. But Papa John's and Pizza Hut sure don't make it like this...

They spread some barbecue sauce on the dough (crust), then mozzarella and cheddar cheese, and they throw it in the oven. Meanwhile, a pork shoulder has been cooking for I think 6 or 8 hours. They shred it and then lay it on thick on top of the cooked pizza, then add more barbecue sauce.

I will make an exception to my recent low-carb diet for this. I may gain back the 15 pounds I've lost, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

The show is going to air again Saturday, July 23 at 2 pm ET. It's called 'BBQ with Bobby Flay', this particular episode being devoted to Memphis. Catch it if you can.

Man, I'm hungry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails colettasbbqpizza.jpg  
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Oh, I forgot to add one thing. They talked about all the barbecue that is shipped out of Memphis every day to locations all over the world via FedEx, whose main air hub is in Memphis. Corky's does the most shipping, and they talked about how you can get online and place your order and have your food packed in dry ice delivered to your doorstep the next morning by 10:00 (here in the U.S anyway).

Of all people, the person they showed placing her online order was Nancy Sinatra! She seemed more down to earth in this feature than I would have ever guessed. She and her daughter and either her son or son-in-law placed their huge order, and then they showed their food arriving the next morning at 9:52. Then they showed a little of the food preparation and them having their meal, talking about how they're such big eaters.

It was interesting.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Thanx for the info!!!!I'm gettin' hungry myself...hot****nn....
    Yes...you called, honey?

A cook oh Humes highschool said Elvis liked"sloppy joes" which is a ground beef mixed with barbecue-like sauce.
    Mary Jenkins who cooked for Elvis at Graceland for many years said:" He liked banana pudding andalso liked hot dogs with saucer kraut.barbecue pizza and potato cheese soup was alunchtime favorite of him, he liked it because it had "stick-to-your- ribs" flavor.
    And I may mention that Mrs. Pauline Nicholson who made Elvis favorite dishes died July 13/2005.May God bless her soul.

Backstage Pass
    Adelaide, South Australia...Where the best wine in the world is made:Where we make the Pontiac GTO:

Smile going to memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Fried pickles are fantastic. We have a place in town that's famous for them, that and their gargantuan cheeseburgers. BTW they also serve what they call Elvis Tupelo Chili--don't tell EPE , so called for its use of Tupelo beans, which Elvis supposedly liked.

But the reason I revived this thread was to tell you all about a special I caught last night on the Food Network about barbecue in Memphis. Elvis was mentioned a lot in the special, particularly when they talked about Coletta's BBQ pizza, which he really loved.

That's something I read about in one of those Elvis cookbooks you all are talking about but I hadn't heard anything substantiating that until I saw this special. And by the way, there are probably 4 or 5 different Elvis cookbooks out there. I've got a couple: Fit For A King and the Presley Family Cookbook.

Back to Coletta's...When pizza first hit it big in big cities like Chicago and New York back in the late fifties, it took a while for the craze to really spread throughout America. So a Memphis Italian eatery's solution to breaking in its local barbecue-loving patrons to this new dish was--naturally--barbecue pizza.

Elvis loved Mr. Coletta's pizza and had a special table in the back which they sectioned off whenever he and his entourage were coming. His son runs the place now and remembers Elvis being there on several occasions. He said he'd usually get the barbecue pizza but sometimes he'd just order spaghetti or lasagna. He showed a couple photos Elvis autographed with a note of thanks to them.

Only having read about this once in the past, I never sought the place out while in Memphis. Now I'll definitely have to!

Barbecue pizza isn't that uncommon these days, though usually it's barbecue chicken they serve. But Papa John's and Pizza Hut sure don't make it like this...

They spread some barbecue sauce on the dough (crust), then mozzarella and cheddar cheese, and they throw it in the oven. Meanwhile, a pork shoulder has been cooking for I think 6 or 8 hours. They shred it and then lay it on thick on top of the cooked pizza, then add more barbecue sauce.

I will make an exception to my recent low-carb diet for this. I may gain back the 15 pounds I've lost, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

The show is going to air again Saturday, July 23 at 2 pm ET. It's called 'BBQ with Bobby Flay', this particular episode being devoted to Memphis. Catch it if you can.

Man, I'm hungry.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Man i'm going to memphis right now, hehehehe...when E was in the International hotel aparrently he use to sit in bed and have bucket of ice cream sent up to him...who knows...but that pizza looks great, i'll have 2 slices thanx...i may start up a pizza chain her in South Australia...just had a bright idear...i'll call it 'PRESLEY PIZZAS'...why not get in on the act...
    R...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spanish omlette with a pound of burnt bacon, hashbrowns, & orange juice

Roustabouts

Elvis Food

ELVIS ALWAYS LIKED THE COMFORT FOODS MASHED POTATOES IN GRAVY FRIED CHICKEN HERES A SITE THAT MIGHT HAVE SOME RECIPTS FOR YA ALL

THESE RECIPTS CAME FROM ELVIS COOKBOOK

Ham Bone Dumplings
    1 large ham bone or leftover ham
    2 quarts water
    salt and pepper
    Dumplings
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup Crisco shortening
    1 cup cold water
    Simmer ham bone in water for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
    Combine dumpling ingredients to make dough. Add more flour if needed to make dough easy to handle. Place dough on floured board and roll very thin. Cut dough into small pieces and drop into pot with ham. Cook about 20 - 25 minutes more

Baked Apple And Sweet Potato Pudding
    4 large sweet potatoes
    3 medium apples
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon apple pie spice
    1/2 cup butter -- melted
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    graham cracker crumbs
    Wash; peel sweet potatoes and apples. Cut into slices. Cover bottom of pan with graham cracker crumbs. Layer potatoes and apples in dish. Mix brown sugar with water and pour over each layer. Season each layer with cinnamon, apple pie spice, butter, and flavoring. Spread a few graham cracker crumbs over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let pudding stand for 4 or 5 minutes, then serve.

ENJOY TCB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BEFORE ELVIS THERE WAS NOTHING
    PROUD ELVIS COLLECTORS CLUB MEMBER SINCE 1997

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12