Thread: Elvis - The Last Concert - June 26th 1977

Cool Elvis - The Last Concert - June 26th 1977

WELL HAVING BEEN A FAN FOR MANY YRS. ( OVER 25 YRS NOW) , I FIND THAT ELVIS STILL HAD THAT UNIQUE VOICE OF HIS ON HIS LAST CONCERT APPEARANCE - (JUNE 26TH 1977) AT MARKET HILL , INDIANAPOLIS - INDIANA -.
    JUST HEAR HIM ON VARIOUS CDS THAT CAME OUT OVER THE YEARS OF HIS LAST CONCERT -
    HE SANG A FEW RARELY SUNG SONGS DURING TIS CONCERT SUCH AS HEART -BREAK HOTEL, IT'S NOW OR NEVER , BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATERS .
    THE VOICE IS STILL PROMINANT . I HAVE HEARD THIS CONCERT MANY TIMES AND STILL THINK THAT HE SOUNDED JUST LIKE HE DID IN 1974 - , DURING HIS VARIUOUS VEGAS STINTS .-
    HE DID SO MANY TOURS DURING HIS SHORT - LIVE CAREER . I THINK IT WAS ABOUT TIME IN 1977 THAT HE STOPPED TOURING AND TOOK A LONG REST -. THE COLONEL ( B..STARD ) DID NOT THINK SO AT THIS TIME BECAUSE HE NEEDED THE CASH TO PAY OFF VARIOUS COMPANIES, DUE TO HIS GAMBLING DEBTS.

I DO NOT MEAN TO SPEAK OF ELVIS MANAGER LIKE THIS BUT IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL , TO THINK THAT HE COULD DO THIS TO ELVIS -.
    ELVIO SANG VARIOUS GOOD SONGS AT THIS CONCERT .- SONGS SUCH AS
    IF U LOVE ME , LET ME KNOW , HURT, RELEASE ME ( A RARITY FOR THIS TIME ) ,EARLY MORNIN RAIN AND MANY OTHERS.-
    LET US ALL KEEP ELVIS NAME ALIVE , AND GET HIM TO TOP THE CHARTS , WHERE HE BELONGS .
    LONG LIVE THE KING 4 EVER -

Cadillac King
    Hi karlos,

I appreciate the passion with which you write. You are obviosuly a real fan of Elvis!
    I was privilged to have attended a number of Elvis concerts in the 1970's. I agree that his voice was deep, rich, and powerful especially in '76 and '77. I saw Elvis a few times in both of those years and found the concerts to be entertaining. To hear him perform "Hurt" live is difficult to adequately describe with words. In 1976 to hear Elvis say, "Do you want to hear it again,"? (for Hurt) was awesome. Being in the arena I was overwhelmed with anticipation because I knew he was going to do something even more dramatic than he just did!

I understand and respect your opinion of the Col., and certainly much has been written about Parker over the years. But, Elvis did agree to do the shows and several times, I've been told, even asked the Col. to arrange for additional tours. While I say that please understand that I am no fan of the Col. Although we must give him his due as he did play a major positive role in Elvis' career (especially during the early years and when Elvis returned from serving in the Army).

While I too, dream of where Elvis' career would have gone in 1978 and beyond, I am, like you, still thankful for what Elvis did leave us in his musical legacy!

IM

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    RIGHT ON KARLOS!!!

I couldn't agree with you more on Elvis' final perfomance!! Definitely some rare songs and Elvis was in GREAT voice and spirits! There are MANY shows from 1977 that deserve to be heard by the fans! I truly think that if more people heard some of Elvis' live shows from 1977, their overall opinion of the final year of his life would change, at least a little bit! Many people have heard over the years that many of Elvis' concerts in 1977 ranged anywhere from fair to poor to pathetic, and that is COMPLETELY WRONG!!!!

Yes, some of Elvis' 1977 shows weren't up to the usual Elvis standard -- that cannot be denied! But those poor performances are FAR FEWER than many would have the fans believe!!! There are MANY performances from 1977 that I feel would range from very good to excellent and I truly think more fans would have a much better appreciation of Elvis' work from the last year of his life if they had access to some of these shows!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your post Karlos, and I am proud to meet another 1977 Elvis fan!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Cadillac King
    first of all, Elvis did'nt sing heartbreak hotel at this show

but indeed, i do agree that Elvis put on a great show for his last tour and his last concert. he is still in strong voice despite all his health problems etc. listening to 'you gave me a mountain' for the last time, it has a haunting feeling to it, that Elvis unfortunately did not climb the mountain as in the song. its great for Elvis to ask the audience to sing with him during 'jailhose rock', and he did make that jailhouse rock one last time!

to hear Elvis sing 'release me' for the first time in a LONG time is refreshing, although it is slow, the song rocks for its last time. the request for 'i can't stop loving you' was awesome to hear, and the crowd really is suprised. its also cool to hear it in the key that it was sung in 69

bridge over troubled water is awesome to listen to. again it is a hauntiing last version, and Elvis really gives his all for this last version. the way he sings the word 'pain' is spine tingling, as it echoes through the stadium.

Elvis's last version of 'hurt' is awesome! when i first heard this version, chills were sent up my spine! before he reaches his high note, he stops, as if something is wrong, but he probably has a smile on his face as he yells that note and holds it for at least 8 seconds. it is Elvis Presley, triumphant

and can't help falling in love is sung with a kind of desperation and emotion as if he knew it would be his last concert! this concert is really haunting and beautiful to hear, for those who don't have it, get it! its a good audience recording and a piece of history

also i can recommend the concert 'unchained elvis', it also features bonus tracks too, and is a pretty good show
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

A really good show indeed, almost as if our man knew it would be his last...

Then again, the last show of the tour almost always was kinda special.

Here's the tracklisting for:

Indianapolis, June 26, 1977

2001: A space odyssey
    See see rider
    I got a woman / Amen
    Love me
    Fairytale
    You gave me a mountain
    Jailhouse rock
    O sole mio / It's now or never
    Little sister
    Teddy bear / Don't be cruel
    Release me
    I can't stop loving you
    Bridge over troubled water
    Introductions to band
    Early morning rain
    What'd I say
    Johnny B Goode
    Drum solo by Larrie Londin
    Fender bass by Jerry Scheff
    Piano solo Tony Brown
    I really don't want to know
    Keyboard solo by Bobby Ogdin
    Joe Guercio Orchestra (Jazzin' In Vegas)
    Hurt
    Hound dog
    Intro's and many thanks
    Can't help falling in love

A great show, with Release Me, I Can't Stop Loving You & Bridge Over Troubled Water being rare for a 1977 concert.
    But to me even the average songs sound special during this particular concert.

Sonny

Hope they bring this nice Show (his last) out on FTD Label in good sound.

Roustabouts
    great show but I still find the little speech at the end thanking everybody a little strange. I've never heard him do that before. It's almost as if he knew it was a significant show!

Quote Originally Posted by PSK
    great show but I still find the little speech at the end thanking everybody a little strange. I've never heard him do that before. It's almost as if he knew it was a significant show!
    EP was in the habit of taking big bites of humble pie during that last tour of '77. He can be seen / heard doing the same on the EIC Outtakes as well.

The pending publication of "Elvis - What Happened?" was no doubt weighing heavily on his mind and he knew there would be a big difference in the Pre- vs. Post- EWH World / Tours.

In short, EP knew a big change was coming & facing him; he just didn't know what.

------------------

On another similar note:

EP gave a highly prophetic Christmas gift to his father Vernon in 1976. Piece was a poem penned by Janelle McComb (same lady who penned LMP's birthday poem @ E's request years earlier). It turned out to be prophetic simply because it was EP's last Christmas gift to his dad / EP died the following year. The gist of the contents was E thanking his dad for all he did over the years.

Piece is in private hands & a wonderful artifact of history it is indeed.

Some people try to read it too much into it (things they want to believe) ......... just like EP's words on stage in the Summer of '77 ......... and try to say that EP knew he was going to die. Not so.

In this case, EP was more than likely very aware that his Daddy was getting up there in age and his health was worsening every year; the gift, & including of Vernon on his last tour was EP's way of dealing with it.

-------------------------

Would love to see Indy '77 released "Officially" someday ...... in glorious SB quality. Unfortunately, I think that with the passage of more & more time, ......... it does not bode well in terms of that ever coming to pass (ie: such audio does not exist).

Hope I'm wrong, though ........

- Capt. "EL."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    Would love to see Indy '77 released "Officially" someday ...... in glorious SB quality. Unfortunately, I think that with the passage of more & more time, ......... it does not bode well in terms of that ever coming to pass (ie: such audio does not exist).

Hope I'm wrong, though ........

- Capt. "EL."
    I'm right there with you Cappy....hoping a soundboard of Indy is found and released soon!!!

TCB!
    Mike

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Me three.

If that doesn't happen, I would still buy the audience recording as an FTD. In my opinion, if the Pittsburgh show is worthy of that treatment (specifically, a great audience recording of a historically significant and kickass show previously released on bootleg), then the final show certainly is as well. I have no idea how well the New Years Eve show sold though, and that would certainly be a consideration.

If the soundboard does ever see the light of day and public release in some fashion, I think it would be great if the audience recording could still be utlilized to enhance the "dry" sound that most soundboards have, giving it some room ambience and particularly making the fantastic audience response much more noticeable.

I know everyone would not want that though, because that would make the soundboard recording less "clean". Perhaps that should just be left up to people who have the proper equipment to make their own new mix. Then those who want the best of both worlds--a clean recording which really captures the feel a of a live concert, the way it sounded in the arena (like what we get with professional multitrack recordings) could have that.

...which brings us back to the bootleg market! Perhaps a DVD would be the answer. Heck, I don't know. It's all fantasy at this point anyway, but if we can dream...

Got to agree that Indy '77, at the very least, deserves an FTD release (since one of Ernst's stated goals from the inception of the label ........ is to historically document representative portions of EP's career).

I, too, would buy a good quality FTD AR (audience recording) of this venue.

Another worthy venue, IMHO, is EP's penultimate Ohio performance.

If either are ever released by FTD (especially in SB quality), ......... some more MYTH will be blown out of the water (as FTD as aptly demonstrated in the past, with JRS, etc.).

- Capt. "EL."

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Me three.

If that doesn't happen, I would still buy the audience recording as an FTD. In my opinion, if the Pittsburgh show is worthy of that treatment (specifically, a great audience recording of a historically significant and kickass show previously released on bootleg), then the final show certainly is as well. I have no idea how well the New Years Eve show sold though, and that would certainly be a consideration.

If the soundboard does ever see the light of day and public release in some fashion, I think it would be great if the audience recording could still be utlilized to enhance the "dry" sound that most soundboards have, giving it some room ambience and particularly making the fantastic audience response much more noticeable.

I know everyone would not want that though, because that would make the soundboard recording less "clean". Perhaps that should just be left up to people who have the proper equipment to make their own new mix. Then those who want the best of both worlds--a clean recording which really captures the feel a of a live concert, the way it sounded in the arena (like what we get with professional multitrack recordings) could have that.

...which brings us back to the bootleg market! Perhaps a DVD would be the answer. Heck, I don't know. It's all fantasy at this point anyway, but if we can dream...
    ALL EXCELLENT POINTS AS ALWAYS PAL!!!

Without a doubt, the Indianapolis show is worthy of release as an audience recording simply because of the historical significance of the show! And in my opinion, the only 3 shows that I feel would be worth releasing as an audience recording because of the historical significance would be the Pittsburgh New Year's Eve show (obviously already released), the final show from Indianapolis (here's hoping!) and Elvis' very first concert upon returning to live performing in Las Vegas on July 31, 1969! Obviously these are 3 of the highlights of Elvis' concert years and worth release in audience recording quality, just because of their historical importance in the career of Elvis!!

Of course, a DVD release of the show WOULD be the ultimate gift from FTD.....but I think we'd REALLY be dreaming on that one!!! But still.....

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    Got to agree that Indy '77, at the very least, deserves an FTD release (since one of Ernst's stated goals from the inception of the label ........ is to historically document representative portions of EP's career).

I, too, would buy a good quality FTD AR (audience recording) of this venue.

Another worthy venue, IMHO, is EP's penultimate Ohio performance.

If either are ever released by FTD (especially in SB quality), ......... some more MYTH will be blown out of the water (as FTD as aptly demonstrated in the past, with JRS, etc.).

- Capt. "EL."
    RIGHT ON CAPPY!!!!

My only concern would be FTD releasing TOO MANY concerts in audience recording quality!! Obviously in the case of Pittsburgh and (hopefully) Indianapolis, if no soundboard recordings exist, then audience recordings definitely need to be considered...again simply because of their historical importance!! But, as much as I would also love to see Elvis' Cincinatti show released by FTD, if they also chose to release that show in audience recording quality, it might cause some negative feedback because of an increasing number of audience recordings being released (this is assuming that a soundboard of Indianapolis is not found and FTD goes with an audience recording of that show as well!).

Does that make any sense???

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76
    ........ it might cause some negative feedback because of an increasing number of audience recordings being released (this is assuming that a soundboard of Indianapolis is not found and FTD goes with an audience recording of that show as well.
    Agreed.

SB's are unlikely for either show & it is highly unlikely that both would ever be released anyway. (Just some wishful thinking on my part - & thinking out loud). Indy is also obviously the preferred candidate of the two.

---------------------

Ironically, the '76 New Year's Show (FTD) is the ONLY one I haven't bought to date, due to inferior quality ..... as well as already having this venue multiple times over on boots -------> (I'm also not into collecting covers).

Just one example of FTD not being able to surpass boots on occasion.

- Capt. "EL."

THANKS CAPPY!! I am glad my point came across fairly well in my last post....I was hoping it wasn't TOO confusing! And, I'm with you that I highly doubt FTD would give serious consideration to releasing both Cincinatti and Indianapolis on their label, since both are not only from the same tour, but only a day apart! Obviously, as we both stated, Indianapolis is the obviously logical choice!

I have to be honest with you that if I weren't a completist, I probably wouldn't have picked up the FTD release of NEW YEAR'S EVE either since there is no discernible difference in the audio between NYE and AULD LANG SYNE (and in fact, I think both releases were thought to be made from the same audience recording, am I correct on this?)!! But, since I own every other FTD release, naturally, I had to pick up NYE! But I certainly see your point in not owning multiple copies of the same show when there is no real difference in the audio quality from one title to the other!

TCB!
    Mike

You are probably about the source used for Auld Lang Syne and the FTD. It's the same recording that was used for the initial bootleg double album back in the seventies.

The source used on Rags To Riches (Crown label) is a diff'rent one. And a very nice sounding one at that.

Sonny

REALLY!?!?! I didn't realize that the audio from RAGS TO RICHES was from a different source.

So, in your opinion Sonny....which one is better? AULD LANG SYNE or RAGS TO RICHES? Maybe I'll have to track down a copy of RAGS TO RICHES just to hear the difference for myself if you think it's worth tracking down a copy!

THANKS FOR THE INFO. SONNY!!! I learn something new everyday around here!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Well, because we're all so used to that one original source listening to another recording of this concert is an entirely different experience, you know.

The sound quality however can be compared with the original source.

That Crown release is a release to look for i.m.o. Not because it so much adds to the quality (it's very good for an audience recording though, and I don't know if I dare say this, but it's almost better then the one we know) but maybe because at some points it's almost like hearing a "new" show.

Full title:

Pittsburgh '76 Rags To Riches (Crown CR CD 007-1/2)

Check it out in the Import Section. It's an original cd, NO cdr!
    Sonny

COOL!!!

THANKS for the tip and for your opinion Sonny!! I will definitely check it out in the import section! Maybe I'll have to work on tracking one of these down...

THANKS AGAIN!!!
    TCB!
    Mike