Thread: Charro! / Let's Forget About The Stars - CD Single

Charro! / Let's Forget About The Stars - CD Single

This time a cover bringing together the 2 tracks recorded for inclusion in the movie Charro! - designed for CD single slimcase.

Inspired by Unchaineds many variations of vinyl look labels, together with some official discs that also used the concept, I also had a go at re-creating the old vinyl label look for the disc design - whilst not a unique concept - I feel it's one ideally suited to the nature of these retro single cover designs - and of course I tried to make them a little different to any others that have appeared on the forum before.

Anyway, there you have it
    Last edited by spinout-designs; 05-15-2005 at 06:31 PM.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    When I see covers like this it reminds me just how many times RCA/BMG/Sony (whatever) has "dropped the ball" when it comes to creating unique and inspiring artwork. Well, this design is just that "unique and inspiring", and the photographs are so fitting for the title.
    A first-class without a doubt

You know, if Elvis had recorded the song "Ghost Riders In The Sky" (other than the rehearsal version), this design's theme could very well suit it also!
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Steve
    You did A hell of a Job on this one.

The coulers and everthing works very well.
    Very nice and outstanding design.
    Well don

Backstage Pass
    First of all, I must say that these two songs deserve a nice design like this one.

As I see it, almost all title songs for Elvis? movies belong to the better ones from his Hollywood career. And among these Charro is one of the best, not the least because it is different from the others and because Elvis' powerful voice goes well together with the dramatic orchestration by Hugo Montenegro.
    And Let's forget about the stars is a tune frequently played here. A nice ballad, yet underrated.

So these two songs got the attention they deserved.

As for the cover, the Charro movie poster seems to have inspired you too, as can be seen in the usage of the yellow and the reddish color. The pix you used are great and I wonder whether you have made a terrific job boosting them up or whether you had good material at hand. Anyway, the pix look gorgeous.

As much as I like your cover, there are two points of criticism.
    The first is Elvis' position on the frontcover. He is moved out of the center to the right side. His gaze is leading the viewer's gaze outside the cover, so that the text on his left side is not only somewhat marginalized, but it also pushes him a bit in the back. Maybe it would look better to move Elvis to the left, and the text to the right?
    The second point of criticism is the typography, that is the typeface you used for the name Elvis Presley. For my taste, it is too modern. The typeface for the songs is pretty cool, one of the typical fonts we associate with Western movies, but I don't think the two fonts are in harmony with each other.

Anyway, a nice looking cover. But to be true, your fantastic design for Big Love, Big heartache/One Track Heart plays in a different league (German saying, literally translated. I hope it makes sense in Engish).

Backstage Pass
    As with the last one, I like this one a lot.....You do great work! My little girl loves them! I just wish I could get used to the slimcase's. Maybe one day We look forward to your next design.

First off, thanks Big Boss, Steve, Manhattoe and Deke for taking the time to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattoe
    As much as I like your cover, there are two points of criticism.
    The first is Elvis' position on the frontcover. He is moved out of the center to the right side. His gaze is leading the viewer's gaze outside the cover, so that the text on his left side is not only somewhat marginalized, but it also pushes him a bit in the back. Maybe it would look better to move Elvis to the left, and the text to the right?
    The second point of criticism is the typography, that is the typeface you used for the name Elvis Presley. For my taste, it is too modern. The typeface for the songs is pretty cool, one of the typical fonts we associate with Western movies, but I don't think the two fonts are in harmony with each other.
    Both fair points, and yes indeed the movie poster provided a lot of the inspiration on this one as you noted.

Regarding the positioning on the front cover, I did experiment with the positioning of all elements including having the main text on the other side of Elvis..........however, in the end I found the composition was more attractive in the final version posted here.

If instead the photo used had shown Elvis turned away with his back to the text then it may have been more of an issue, as it stands I think the composition works this way - but I certainly do understand the point you are making.

On the typeface used for 'Elvis Presley' I don't necessarily disagree that it may be a little too modern, but by the same token I felt it gave a nice contrast between that and the typeface used for the song titles (as you say, more of the traditional 'Western Movie' association).

I think the typeface used on the original movie poster would be hard to improve upon - originally it was my intention to re-create that typeface to use on this cover and try to manufacture the additional letters required - unfortunately, I didn't have a high enough resolution scan to work with to get the crisp results I wanted on the text).

Thanks everyone

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

Backstage Pass
    I appreciate your efforts to create a fesh compostion, that is to work against the usual concepts. Maybe it is just a matter of becoming used to it. When NightRider presented his design for Freefall (of which the frontcover has a similar composition, though the other side around), I wasn't convinced at first sight, but a few looks later I was. Well, maybe that very same effect will

As for the typeface, I have a font that comes close to the Charro movie poster lettering. If you want, I dig the deeps of my hard drive and unearth it for you.

WOW! Very nice design

If I had to choose one word to describe this design, i would say "ELEGANT". I think that this same word works pretty well with SPINOUT DESIGNS. I just like it all! The fonts are great (remember that westerns from that era had nothing to do with those 40?s / 50?s movies : the color, the fonts, etc... everything had changed or was changing) and the pictures choice is outstanding.

Great job, SPINOUT!
    "Until we meet again, God bless you and Adios."

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

Backstage Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained
    I?m working on something totally different and really not suited for this board or any other one......so it?s a real threat seeing something like this.
    O come on, Ron, you only want to tease us.
    And with success, since I am really curious now. What is it?

Btw: I also have a cover in stock (made about six or seven weeks ago), and I am not sure, whether it would meet the taste of the users here.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT SPINOUT!!!!

I have always thought LET'S FORGET ABOUT THE STARS was a very beautiful song and deserved much more attention than it received, being shoved onto the LET'S BE FRIENDS budget LP!! I am so happy that you have given this song the recognition it deserves, Spinout!!!

Your cover is BEAUTIFUL....love the photos you used (very appropriate, of course) and the color scheme you used fits the photos nicely!!!!

A TIP OF MY HAT TO YOU MY FRIEND FOR A BREATHTAKING DESIGN!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Andy, Jeanno, Ron and Mike, thank you all for your feedback on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76

I have always thought LET'S FORGET ABOUT THE STARS was a very beautiful song and deserved much more attention than it received, being shoved onto the LET'S BE FRIENDS budget LP!! TCB!
    Mike
    Have to agree with you there, Mike my friend, I find it to be a very charming ballad, beautifully phrased (Unless I am very much mistaken, it also made an appearance on the Camden labels U.S.Male LP aswell)

Correct me if I am wrong, please, but apart from the double features CD - I'm not sure this track is easily found on any other mainstream official release ? (and the Double Features probably are getting harder to track down all the while ?)

It would be a shame for people to miss out on this underrated gem on such a technicality IMO.

I certainly hope a future FTD package presents us with an outtake or two of this beauty !

Thanks again !

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Right off hand Spinout, I think you are right.....aside from the DOUBLE FEATURES CD, I don't recall LET'S FORGET ABOUT THE STARS being on any other recent release! That is a true shame....considering how beautiful it is, I think it would have made a nice rarity to be included on one of the many love songs compilations that RCA has put out over the years!

I'm with you on hoping that RCA will correct this oversight and issue this song on a future CD!!!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK MY FRIEND!!!!
    TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!