Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis's Dislike for Robert Goulet

Elvis's Dislike for Robert Goulet

This might sound like a dumb question, but I was wondering why Elvis did not like Robert Goulet(Isn't he the police detective on that Cheech & Chong movie?) I also remember reading stories about how Elvis would shoot a t.v. whenever he saw R.G. on it. I also heard that he shot out t.v.s whenever he saw commercials for hemoroids or female hygene products. Is this true? I Just thought I would ask. Thanx!!!

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Elvis hated Goulet's style of singing, which he considered emotionless. But also it went back to while Elvis was in the army, Goulet relayed to Elvis that he shouldn't worry, that he was "taking care of" Anita Wood back at home for him.

I've read something about Elvis not responding too favorably to commercials for the products you mentioned as well. I seriously doubt he destroyed the TV every time one came on though. Though certain things may have happened with some regularity, generally speaking, if Elvis did one outlandish thing once, the legend becomes that it was a daily ritual for him.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Good remarks, Lonnie. Nonetheless...

I seriously doubt he destroyed the TV every time one came on though.
    This sentence is hilarious! I literally laughed out loud when I read it. There's just something absurd in the whole concept and the way you matter-of-factly expressed it.

I see your point. That sort of went without saying, and my "serious doubting" was a bit of an understatement.

"Lonnie" is correct - on all counts.

------------------

Every little thing (both positive & negative) becomes legendary or urban myth .......... regarding EP. (Gifting cadillacs, shooting out TV's ...... & on & on) ....

The MYTH cuts both ways, yet usually has elements of truth within.

------------------

One such "story" is that EP was eating while watching TV when the offending commercial came on ........ ruining his appetite. After he shot out the set, he threw his lunch @ the TV and said: "Here, wipe that on your a** as well .... !"

Like I said - it cuts both ways .....

------------------

Here's another I heard:

Cryo to EP: "Hey, E, .... I heard you got a new TV set (insert brand name)! I got one just like it! Isn't it great!?!"

EP to Cryo: "Really, ...... does yours have a hole in it too, .... like mine?"

-------------------

Also forgot to add: MYTH acquires little twists / changes with time as well.

- Capt. "EL."

I love that one. I forgot about our very own Cryo being involved, but as you have said, memories fade with time.

I don't remember if I've mentioned this here before or not, but in 1975 I had an uncle living in Memphis who worked at Circuit City (I think it was), and he delivered a TV to Graceland. Elvis was there at the time, and my uncle has said how friendly Elvis was. I'm sure he had no idea that a not unlikely reason for his getting a new TV on that occasion was that the old one had a hole in it.

Maybe I didn't treat you
    Quite as good as I should have...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elvis_tv.jpg  

Great stuff!

HAHAHAHAHAHA .... !!

- Capt. "EL."

PS - Cryo, ... save that TV. You can sell it someday as "Elvis-Owned."

Robert Goulet gets ribbed about this all the time but in an interview I read, he said that he once spent two hours talking to Elvis after one of EP's great shows in Vegas, Goulet had nothing but kind words to say about our guy. I do believe a lot of this is myth and most likely it didn't matter who was on TV when Elvis was in this mood, the TV would have been history.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car
    Robert Goulet gets ribbed about this all the time but in an interview I read, he said that he once spent two hours talking to Elvis after one of EP's great shows in Vegas, Goulet had nothing but kind words to say about our guy. I do believe a lot of this is myth and most likely it didn't matter who was on TV when Elvis was in this mood, the TV would have been history
    EP was pretty impulsive & a reckless with his guns. Sheer luck that nothing truly serious ever happened over the years. Those around him were fully aware of this as well.

I believe one of the Wests or Hebler stated that Elvis had a very casual attitude towards guns ........ and that anybody that didn't respect a gun - at all times - like one would a pet rattle snake ----> was an inherently dangerous person flirting with disaster.

While much of the "Goulet twist" is indeed over-blown MYTH, ........... the core of this discussion (EP's guns) is essentially accurate & very telling.

Some of the wiser people around Elvis even refused to pay him visits directly on the Graceland property ......... when E requested a private "meeting" to discuss some differences of "opinion" ...... citing that EP's gun habits made such a choice out of the question. A more "neutral" public location around Memphis was chosen instead, to hammer out their differences.

EP was known to directly threaten people (their life) in both words & gesture ......... when pushed far enough & on his own turf. FACT.

-----------------------

Generally speaking: Critical thinking & proper perspective are two things to always try to exercise. Once this is lost, MYTH will replace reality ..... & we all not only become dumber, but lose a lot as a result.

- "I ain't that sign out there in front of my house." (EP talking about the EP. Blvd. street sign in Memphis while hammering out his differences with the individual discussed above).

I will also add, EP wasn't what EPE is trying to re-tell the story as now, either ("Presley, by the Presleys").

- Capt. "EL."

Saving the TV, El, saving the TV...

(P.S. Google's image search function comes in really handy).

I wonder where E's fasincation with guns came from. He seemed to like them almost as much as women. Of course, he almost killed Linda Thompson with one in that hotel... *shudders*

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic
    I wonder where E's fasincation with guns came from. He seemed to like them almost as much as women. Of course, he almost killed Linda Thompson with one in that hotel... *shudders*
    E originally wanted a rifle at the Tupelo Hardware Store as a kid. Gladys redirected his interests towards a bicycle and / or guitar (versions vary). The guitar won out, ........... only temporarily.

EP's had a lifelong fascination with bad-a** paraphernalia (weapons / badges / etc.). In fact, he even collected such things.

As stated on another thread, ....... sheer luck that nothing really serious happened accident-wise later on in EP's life. Close-calls, ............ ? ......... definitely.

- Capt. "EL."

International Level ComeBackChick's Avatar
    Would be a great Ebay item: Graceland TV set, shot by Elvis himself!!!!

Wonder if there was an item like that already... wouldn't surprise me!

EP's yellow pantera car is in private hands - replete with multiple bullet holes Elvis gave it one day for not starting-up correctly.

Graceland, at one time (not sure now), ....... did indeed have one of EP's shot-out TV sets on display over in the "Sincerely, Elvis Museum."

---------------------

...... Never Ceases To Amaze !! ..........

- Capt. "EL."

One of my dad's friends visited when it did so.

He was relaying his story in the pub to me - when he told me about the TV, I didn't believe him. But after doing some research on the internet, I found it indeed to be the case. The TV image I used for my little Elvis cartoon is, I believe, the actual TV they had/have on display.

Very surprised that EPE exhibits such an item - I guess they do whatever the hell they like.

Captain El, your words and thoughts about EPE speaking with a forked tongue are correct. I should have posted about it in here when it came up, but a few months ago, there was a news item on the Elvis news sites that said his bed - yes, THE sacred bed from the sacred bedroom no one is allowed to see - was being exhibited separately in a touring show/museum. Funny how EPE bleats about keeping his bedroom sealed off for matters of taste and decency... but then goes and does something really tacky by exhibiting the bed on its own.

Elvis's Dislike for Robert Goulet

Quote Originally Posted by ph10579 View Post
    This might sound like a dumb question, but I was wondering why Elvis did not like Robert Goulet(Isn't he the police detective on that Cheech & Chong movie?) I also remember reading stories about how Elvis would shoot a t.v. whenever he saw R.G. on it. I also heard that he shot out t.v.s whenever he saw commercials for hemoroids or female hygene products. Is this true? I Just thought I would ask. Thanx!!!

You know something......and just my opinion......I don't like it when people talk about this dark side of Elvis.In the movie "Elvis and me"Elvis raped presilla and I try not to think about that or watch that part because I was raped also and is the most horrible thing that can happend to a woman.I like Elvis,the man we knew as fans,the humanitarian and generous side of him.I don't shoot Tv's because I'll be without one,but I habe broken a few things now and then when I got angry.Maybe that was his way of fighting stress..

GirlHappy19
    "Man,I just work here"
    EP 1968 ComaBack

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    Does anybody have any stories about Elvis making threats on somebody's life?, I never heard about that.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David View Post
    E originally wanted a rifle at the Tupelo Hardware Store as a kid. Gladys redirected his interests towards a bicycle and / or guitar (versions vary). The guitar won out, ........... only temporarily.

EP's had a lifelong fascination with bad-a** paraphernalia (weapons / badges / etc.). In fact, he even collected such things.

As stated on another thread, ....... sheer luck that nothing really serious happened accident-wise later on in EP's life. Close-calls, ............ ? ......... definitely.

- Capt. "EL."

There are a few people around him I sorta wish he woulda' shot. ..... j/k

I will never forget you Rosanne.
    R.I.P. 4-27-59~7-22-09

Quote Originally Posted by SeeSeeRider777 View Post
    Does anybody have any stories about Elvis making threats on somebody's life?, I never heard about that.

The only time Elvis ever (supposedly) threatened to kill anyone was in Vegas in February of '73 when he asked Red to hire a hit man to kill Mike Stone....Elvis even placed an M-16 rifle in Sonny's hands and told him to go do the deed....thankfully, it never happpened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast