Thread: Madison Square Garden - Matinee or Evening Show?

Madison Square Garden - Matinee or Evening Show?

Hi Guys,

"Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden" - now this award-winning album was one of the first live concerts I had in my possession when I was a wee boy. I absolutely loved the show and got to learn about Elvis' sense of fun from this recorded show too. This show also gave me a great insight into Elvis' broad musical reportoire, which I found quite outstanding.

But, since the release of "An Afternoon In The Garden" in 1997 on CD to mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of the event, I have very much preferred the matinee show to the familiar evening performance. Elvis seems to be more focused and there are hardly any improvised 'funny' moments during songs so the listener can gain a more full perspective of Elvis the Concert Performer.

In 1977 and 1983 with the release of the "Welcome To My World" and "A Legendary Performer Vol. 4" albums, respectively, we were treated to 3 performances from the MSG Matinee Performance, namely "I Can't Stop Loving You", "Reconsider Baby" and "I'll Remember You". These performances alone were worth the value of both the aforementioned albums. My question to you guys is: Which show do you prefer from MSG on June 10th, 1972...Matinee or Evening?

Cheers Elvisly,

NEA.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I too lean towards the afternoon show...by a considerable margin, actually. I think it would be easier to compare the two if we had a remastered release of the evening show though. "An Afternoon..." is superior soundwise by leaps and bounds.

That's one of the best CD covers ever, by the way.

And "As Recorded..." is the second Elvis CD I ever got, my first live one. I had similar first impressions as you did, NEA.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States

Lightbulb

For me it's the Afternoon Show, because he seamed more energized than the eve show, although I do like the version of Impossible Dream from the eve show.

I am hoping that RCA/FTD/SONY/BMG or whatever their company name is this week will remaster the sound on the As Recorded At Madison Square Garden cd and re-market it with new photos and liner notes.
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

TCB Mafia
    I would also lean towards the afternoon show. But, as has already been mentioned...this could be more to do with the fact that the afternoon show does sound so much better.

Along with Big Boss, i would love to see FTD do a 'Live on stage in Memphis' on 'As Recorded at Madison Square Garden'. That would be something i would welcome with open arms
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Like most of us I go for the afternoon show.

Elvis sounds really into that show, know what I mean?

Steve is right on "The Impossible Dream" version from the evening show though. Then again, the afternoon show gives us "Reconsider Baby".

I also think the sound quality on the afternoon show is a lot better than on the Madison Square Garden cd, but maybe that's just me.

Sonny

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    I have to agree also that the afternoon show is far and above the better of the 2 performances from that day!

As Bobby said, perhaps having a newly remastered version of the evening show would allow for more favorable comparisons, but just on the merit of sound quality between the 2 shows, the afternoon show is much fuller and more vibrant sounding!

But I have to agree with everyone else here that Elvis sounds a whole lot more focused and energized throughout the afternoon show. Of course, Elvis fans will easily realize that this, in and of itself, is quite a rarity! Usually, when comparing matinee and evening performances from the same day, Elvis usually appears much more energetic during the evening show! I would assume this is because of the hours Elvis kept, and the matinee shows were usually performed shortly after he had awaken for the day.

But, in the case of the Madison Square Garden shows, I do have to say that the afternoon performance outshines the evening show immensely!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Cadillac King
    I don't care for the afternoon show.

1. Don't care for the mix
    2. Too many oldies
    3. No "Impossible Dream"

If we ever get a re-mix of the evening show(and I think we will on FTD at some point) I'll
    chuck the afternoon show in file 13. I never play it anyway.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Couldn't agree more Jerry! I am sure that we will be receiving an upgraded version of the original MSG album in the near future!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!