Thread: a couple possible CD concepts

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

a couple possible CD concepts

How about a CD of either:

"How Do You Like It So Far?" -- A collection of highlights from the FTD label

OR

Gems Added To The Crown 1995 - 2004 -- The monumental and most significant tracks released over the past decade, probably on both BMG and FTD

?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Steve
    Sounds great,

Are you going to make it mate?
    <the best Idee of the two is>

Gems Added To The Crown 1995 - 2004 -- The monumental and most significant tracks released over the past decade

Like to see a cover for this.

Glad you like that, Steve. Thanks for asking, but I'm not the man for the job. If anyone is interested in doing either, please have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    How about a CD of either:

"How Do You Like It So Far?" -- A collection of highlights from the FTD label
    Only trouble there is, Bobby, I already filled a CD and so far I only picked from 'The Jungle Room Sessions'

With so many tracks to choose from you might need a volume for each decade as well as a disc for live highlights !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    OR
    Gems Added To The Crown 1995 - 2004 -- The monumental and most significant tracks released over the past decade, probably on both BMG and FTD

?
    A disc of significant tracks may well make for an entertaining compilation, though peoples definitions of 'monumental and significant' are sure to differ to some degree.

Rehearsal tracks such as It's Diff'rent Now,previously unknown live tracks like Danny Boy, not to mention the recently released I'm A Roustabout would have to find a place on my list.

What would you choose to put on it Bobby - have you compiled any sort of tracklist ?

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Quote Originally Posted by spinout-designs
    Only trouble there is, Bobby, I already filled a CD and so far I only picked from 'The Jungle Room Sessions'

With so many tracks to choose from you might need a volume for each decade as well as a disc for live highlights !!
    Yeah, I thought CD space might be an issue. Perhaps the way to do it would be to pick one song from each release (aren't there 40-something releases thus far?) and have it be a double CD. That would be an easy way to do it, but it would be missing out on a lot of good songs by limiting it to one song from each title. If it were sort of given the approach of the below project, that would be a way to whittle it down.

Quote Originally Posted by spinout-designs
    A disc of significant tracks may well make for an entertaining compilation, though peoples definitions of 'monumental and significant' are sure to differ to some degree.

Rehearsal tracks such as It's Diff'rent Now,previously unknown live tracks like Danny Boy, not to mention the recently released I'm A Roustabout would have to find a place on my list.

What would you choose to put on it Bobby - have you compiled any sort of tracklist ?
    Haven't made a list myself, but I did have those you named in mind. Some other easy choices would be Blowin' In The Wind, I'll Never Stand In Your Way, the fast version of She Thinks I Still Care, and The Twelfth Of Never.

I can think of more later, or certainly anyone else is welcome to make suggestions.

Bobby

You can add also the studio / rehearsal version of I JUST CAN?T HELP BELIEVIN? (july 1970), GHOST RIDERS IN THE SKY (july 1970), NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN (march 1972) and DOWN IN THE ALLEY (august 1974).
    "Until we meet again, God bless you and Adios."

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

Cadillac King
    LonnieBealeStreet, this is the same idea i have! i shared this with the FECC board and they did'nt like it, coz they though re-releasing material would be a demise to FTD. maybe if they released it to the public?
    sincerely, Scott, a 15 year old Elvis fan

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

Re-releasing material would spell FTD's demise? They must already be in trouble then! Seriously, they are already doing that now, highly devaluing some of their past releases. Of course hindsight is 20/20 though, and if they had known in the beginning how far they would go with the soundtracks, we probably would not have gotten Out In Hollywood and Silver Screen Stereo.

Initially, I was just thinking of this in terms of a neat CD to make for yourself. But then I thought along the lines of what you're suggesting, and I think it could do some good. The thinking is that most FTDs in their entirety would not be all that appreciated by the general public--or the general Elvis CD-buying public. But if you took the best tracks from a bunch of the releases, surely they would be strong enough.

I guess the issue is whether people would be motivated to buy them. (The last few Essential Elvis releases did not sell well, they would argue, and FTD represents the same kind of material but at a higher cost.) Perhaps what they should do what they did with E2 on all their standard releases: include a bonus disc with a few tracks from FTD. That way they're not giving away the farm, and the shopper doesn't have to commit to an FTD purchase to get some idea of what they're missing out on. But there should be more promotion of the label above simply including some tracks from FTD releases.

Maybe they could try this for one year on all regular releases and see if FTD doesn't get a boost.

Also, thanks Jeanno for your ideas.

Cadillac King
    ok, some of the FTD best songs i have picked are from the ones i have in possession, heres my list

jungle room sessions-theres a fire down below
    Tucson 76-danny boy
    one night in vegas-you don't have to say you love me
    dixieland rocks-fairytale
    its midnight-spanish eyes
    dinner at eight-wooden heart
    new years eve-rags to riches
    live on stage in memphis-how great thou art

all i have lol

prayers to Jackie my auntie in law, and R.I.P Charlie Hodge, both victims of cancer

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Definitely interesting ideas buddy!!!

I wonder if there would be enough public interest in a release of the best songs from the FTD releases (in the style of your "How Do You Like It So Far?" idea) that could be released to the general public as a glimpse into the world of FTD releases? Kind of a teaser CD, if you will, to show the public what kind of music is released on the FTD label? Perhaps that would help to bring some new Elvis fans into the fold....what do you think?

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Cadillac King
    unfortunately, as much as i like the idea, people will be too busy buying their crap music than taking a look at the uninterestin Elvis Presley