Thread: "Love letters"-why 2 recordings???

"Love letters"-why 2 recordings???

I was to ask this question a long time ago-but somehow I'm asking it now - does ANYONE know WHY Elvis re-recorded "Love letters"????? Wasn't he satisfied with the '66 (oops-or '67 ) one? I like both versions, though the first one seems far more better (vocally) then the latter one...

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Apparently David Briggs talked him into revisiting the song in the studio because he was not satisfied with his piano part. On the second version, a little wear and tear was showing in Elvis' voice from it being recorded at the end of a long recording night, and the hoarseness perhaps made him to sing it a little more forcefully, and as a result some people find it to be a little over the top in comparison to the original. Of course, that could have been the exact sound he was going for; I'm just speculating. I like both versions.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

our explYanation makes sense, Lonnie B. Both versions are superb but I like the 1970 version more because of the arrangement. And his repeatings on the word "si-hi-hi-hi-nged" is marvelous. This version is more at ease.

I read that somewhere as well Bobby.

I like the 70's version better,Elvis seems to put
    more emotion/feeling into that version.

I still like the 60's version.
    It's still weird that he recorded Love Letters twice

I think Elvis likes to sing this song. Afterall he took it to the stage in the later parts of the 70's. So if Elvis liked the song and David Brigs wanted to do his piano work again it's really not that weird.

As for the songs themself, i find them both really enjoying. I can't pick a version ovet the other, mainly because they sound very different. But i like them and is glad that Elvis decided to do it again.

Thanx for the response))Of course I can't say that the 70's version is BAAD-it's beautiful, but still the first one I like better...

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Gotta go with the 70's version personally....just because I am a 70's Elvis fan, I guess!!

The tempo of the 70's version is a little quicker paced, which I guess is what appeals to me mostly! Although both versions are beautiful....gotta say the 70's version is my favorite!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Cadillac King
    I like both versions. Because they reflect Elvis' voice at those points in his career. If I have to pick one I'll go with the '70s version because it's much more powerful emotionally and I love '70s Elvis.