Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most vocally challenging song (or note in a song) for Elvis?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Not knowing anything about ABC's etc I cant contribute in that way

What I do know is I WOULD KILL TO BE ABLE TO SING ANYTHING LIKE ELVIS..........

Good or bad.

Matt
    Ditto! In one of the liner notes I read, the author repeats that Elvis had the ability & that Elvis Sang. Meaning that singing a song was what Elvis was all about. I agree.

I'm not a singer, so I barely know about high range and stuff... But I think "An Evening Prayer" and the songs from the Elvis last concert (like My Way) seems difficult to me. Anyway, Elvis had a marvelous ability to sing songs with higher and low notes... Is the best singer ever.
    Last edited by Wendy56; 09-23-2007 at 07:13 PM.
    Let the stars fade and fall, and I won't care at all, as long as I have you.
    Elvis...

http://myantiquemusicbox.wordpress.com/
    http://wendy56.wordpress.com/

"You've got it all together like a lovin' machine
    You're lookin' like glory and walkin' like a dream...
    Mother nature's sure been good to Y-O-U"

Wendy

too me Unchained Melody is hard one to sing, Elvis trys to get it right, but I think America is hardest
    Take a look at you and me,,Are we too blind to see, Do we Simply turn our heads and look the other way.....(Line From "in The Ghetto")

If memory serves, on the version of How Great Thou Art on the Just Pretend import Elvis does hit a B during the flourish on the word "God." I believe the flourish is A-B-A-G.

Mad Tigers
    Sure it is you just have to get mad and pretend you're yelling at someone. However to sing the entire song with the phrasing and the feel like Elvis. You can forget it. Unless you were at the place in your life where Elvis was I find it hard to believe that anyone would feel your singing.

Mad Tigers
    You are absolutely correct if you sit at a piano the note that Elvis hits on heaven is a c above middle. As far as the scale goes that is the highest note he ever hit. Lets be honest though it wasn't the range we fell in love with though. It was the fact that we felt the story in the song when Elvis would sing it, or in the fifties case we felt as carefree as the songs were. No other artist has made that sort of connection from music to our soul

Backstage Pass Wild_In_The_Country's Avatar
    i do not think Elvis' range is important, as i know many people with a wider range, than Elvis,
    HOWEVER, elvis' tone and the texture of his voice is just mind blowing.
    and the fact you can feel elvis singing with pure emotion especialy, how great thou art, if i can dream etc. and also elvis' abitlity to take a song and make it his own.

there will never be another nor anyone close.

His range is trully outstanding in relation to the rest of popular music. But, as has been said, its not just the notes its the way he puts them together. There will be many who couldn't get as low or as high as Elvis and much of the time that will be physiological but for me one moment, out of many, stands out where it is more than physical range but pure musical talent and ability.
    In recordings of Just Pretend, and as seen on TTWII, when he does the "whoa-hoa-hoa-a-whoa-hoa" (y'all know what moment I mean ) that is mighty, one of my all time favourite Elvis moments.
    I've been a singer for about 20 plus years now, choral singing, leading singing, entertaining and was cantor in Ireland's national seminary, I'm a fairly good singer but for years now there is just no way I can emulate that. The rhythm, the inflection, etc. And Elvis knows it too, look at his smile.
    Another moment where he's not just the singer, he becomes the song itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis_Priestly View Post
    His range is trully outstanding in relation to the rest of popular music. But, as has been said, its not just the notes its the way he puts them together. There will be many who couldn't get as low or as high as Elvis and much of the time that will be physiological but for me one moment, out of many, stands out where it is more than physical range but pure musical talent and ability.
    In recordings of Just Pretend, and as seen on TTWII, when he does the "whoa-hoa-hoa-a-whoa-hoa" (y'all know what moment I mean ) that is mighty, one of my all time favourite Elvis moments.
    I've been a singer for about 20 plus years now, choral singing, leading singing, entertaining and was cantor in Ireland's national seminary, I'm a fairly good singer but for years now there is just no way I can emulate that. The rhythm, the inflection, etc. And Elvis knows it too, look at his smile.
    That ""whoa-hoa-hoa-a-whoa-hoa" is also for me a great example of his vocal flexability and "ad libbing vocally" The first time I heard it I just laughed at how easy he made it look and how much fun he seemed to have doing it.
    Last edited by KPM; 03-21-2007 at 08:31 PM.

yes unchained melody was the most challenging for Elvis to sing-especially that ending!
    Cooking up a Storm!

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Just listening to "Any Day Now", this is a pretty impressive song with the highs and lows and quick tempo it's amazing how quickly Elvis can manoeuvre around the lyrics without any trouble at all

There are some technically fantastic songs around 1968/69 e.g. "long Black Limousine" & "Suspicious Minds"

I would have loved to hear Elvis sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" in 1977

Elvis was no doubt....the world's most accomplished entertainer. He set the standards that most just dream to aspire to. Long live the King.

When I first answered in here, I knew considerably less than I know now -- and, of course, I'm always learning.

Some of my answers today might be ones involving an impressive falsetto, all evenly spread out, too:

- "Blue Moon"
    - "Stay Away"
    - "Spanish Eyes" (home recording)

Give those a whirl. It's amazing how HIGH he could actually go, especially since Elvis thought of himself as more of a baritone / bass, and is culturally known for the technical depth of his voice (as well as the emotional depth, of course). That home recording of "Spanish Eyes" is a particular treat. I mean, by 1973, you might have thought that his ability to do a strong falsetto was gone, given the way his voice had deepened and thickened, but no.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS_Priestly
    That ""whoa-hoa-hoa-a-whoa-hoa" is also for me a great example of his vocal flexability and "ad libbing vocally" The first time I heard it I just laughed at how easy he made it look and how much fun he seemed to have doing it.
    Excellent example!

Another moment that impresses me like that is the way he does a similar "whoa-whoa-whoa" effect at the end of "Frankfurt Special" from "G.I. Blues". His voice is so smooth! Such control. It just stuns me listening to that.

Amother moment still is the live rendition of "I'll Remember You" during the "Aloha" concert -- when he sings the chorus line during a key change and he turns round to the musicians as if to say, "****************, I did that good!"

there are some pretty straining parts in Tomorrow Never Comes, especially the final note.
    Where Did They Go Lord is another
    and He Touched Me

AMERICAN TRILOGY is one as well as -Tomorrow Never Comes ...

I also know nothing about range or notes or whatever, but the first time I heard "Known Only To Him" I was quite impressed.

God, his voice was so unbelievable, made more so by the fact that he wasn't afraid to sings songs that might have been out of his range, that feeling that helped push him to that next level. Christ, the man could even yodel great.

I am not a musician nor have a formal lesson in music but I am really impressed on the wide range of Elvis vocalization. I also sing Elvis songs those easy one of course and I would say his rendition of the live "Unchained melody" was a bit challenge to his versatile vocalization. Elvis ability to go from high to low notes is something fascinating to appreciate considering he never have had any formal lesson in singing. He is simply fantastic and great! You people have practically mentioned all the challenging songs for Elvis

Just wanted to mention some other tunes in which ELvis displays an incredible amount of passion, raw energy and soul into his sublime singing technique[s] ...

How 'bout:

A Mess Of Blues
    Like A Baby
    Such A Night
    I Feel So Bad
    Milky White Way
    Joshua Fit The Battle
    Wild In The Country
    Run On
    Wearin' That Loved On Look
    ... ???

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    Difficult to sing Elvis songs...?

-It's Now Or Never (july '75 versions - and versions from 1977)
    -Surrender
    -Hurt (have others here heard the high note Elvis sang during his last concert?)
    -The high note Elvis hits at the end of the jazzy orchestra-solo during his last concert
    -Unchained Melody (The versions Elvis sang in New York in 1977 are the great)
    -Bridge Over Troubled Water (especially the last version from the last concert)
    -My Way has some demanding parts
    -It's Over
    -You Gave Me A Mountain (I like the '77 versions)
    -What Now My Love (Elvis did a perfect ending of the song, singing in front of Roy Orbison in Las Vegas in December 1976)
    -Rags To Riches (The version of december 31st '76 - January 1st '77 has a very challenging, operatic ending)
    -The last note Elvis hits during the last live performance of Can't Help Falling In Love during his last concert - kinda hard to do!!
    -How Great Thou Art (some very demanding performances in July '75 and of course I like the Omaha '77 version also!)
    Goodness knows that I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but, what about "Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello"?? That seems to have quite a range in it as well, doesn't it??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast