Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most vocally challenging song (or note in a song) for Elvis?

Lets not forget Rags to Riches.The way he did it in 1976 at the new years eve concert.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFOfHVpNAZc

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I don't know how many of you are familiar with this, but there is an incredible version of America The Beautiful from Cincinnati 3.21.76 (Holding Back The Years) that has a crazy high note at the end, and I would be interested in knowing what it is.

Wish I could provide a clip...Well, for those of you who have it, it's at the very end:

A-me-ri-iiii-caaaaa-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

That just doesn't do it justice.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    I don't know how many of you are familiar with this, but there is an incredible version of America The Beautiful from Cincinnati 3.21.76 (Holding Back The Years) that has a crazy high note at the end, and I would be interested in knowing what it is.

Wish I could provide a clip...Well, for those of you who have it, it's at the very end:

Lonnie, I don't have that boot, but based on past discussions with people, it's possible he hits a High C. A fairly knowledgeable EP fan at another board seemed to think he may have hit a High C on a rendition of "America The Beautiful", but if so, he couldn't remember which one -- maybe that's the one! Being as I haven't heard it, and being as this guy was unsure, I can't commit to saying for sure. Best to check it out for yourself. Try downloading one of these software piano players: http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/piano-player.html Play the accompanying notes as Elvis sings them; hopefully, you'll be able to work out the last note in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by paultoronto View Post
    Hi Michu, I seem to have offended you with my comment. Elvis is my favorite singer of all time, so I certainly meant no disrespect with my comment. I do however sing in a similar range to Elvis on the high side of his range, though I fall short in the low register, I can't go as deep as he could, nor can I sing with the range of emotion, power and sheer amazing talent Elvis did. I occasionally can sound similar to him (I am told, I myself, don't hear it!). God, to be able to actually sing like that man!!!!

I have some soundclips and videos available on my site if you wish: www.paulross.net

I hope this won't ignite a flame-war. I perform as Elvis in a show, and I do know that there are many Elvis fans who are offended by "Elvis Impersonators". I would like to note that I perform a respectful tribute to Elvis Presley AS Paul. During my show, I sing like Elvis during the songs, wear costumes, and move (similar) to how he did, but I am NOT Elvis in between.. I am myself, and refer to the songs as "Elvis performed this song in ...", give a history of the song, or an anecdote about Elvis. My show is intended as a respectful tribute to Elvis Presley, and is NEVER a joke. I take great pride in researching all available footage and recordings by Elvis, replicating his outfits, his jewelry, his guitars... but I never forget that I am just a man living a fantasy of performing as his idol.

I am first and foremost an Elvis Presley fan, the same as the rest of you, and I hope you will be kind in your responses.

Sincerely,
    Check out the site folks! Great job, Paul. And I'm hard to impress!
    ...you're moving on the back roads, by the rivers of my memory and for hours you're just gentle on my mind.

International Level SeeSeeRider777's Avatar
    I think Rags to Riches is his most challenging song. Those notes at the beginning of the song is amazing.
    "When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was a hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times. I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain't got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend; without a song. So I keep singing a song." - Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic View Post
    Lonnie, I don't have that boot, but based on past discussions with people, it's possible he hits a High C. A fairly knowledgeable EP fan at another board seemed to think he may have hit a High C on a rendition of "America The Beautiful", but if so, he couldn't remember which one -- maybe that's the one! Being as I haven't heard it, and being as this guy was unsure, I can't commit to saying for sure. Best to check it out for yourself. Try downloading one of these software piano players: http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/piano-player.html Play the accompanying notes as Elvis sings them; hopefully, you'll be able to work out the last note in this way.
    Thanks, Cryo. Will do.

I bet it is this same version that was being discussed.

By the way, don't be a stranger.

I believe that was me on the other board It was undoubtedly a high 'C' and it was the version on Holding Back the Years that I was referring to. Here it is
    [non-functioning link removed]

Thanks to Jordan for hosting it.
    Last edited by Lonniebealestreet; 11-29-2007 at 07:11 AM. Reason: link doesn't work when accessed from other sites

Well there you go. I have heard a lot of great high notes from Elvis but whenever I first heard that one, I was blown away and not too sure I had heard that note from him before. I can't help but play it over and over. Gives me chills.

That link is not going to work, by the way. Per the wishes of that webmaster I am removing it.

Some of my answers today might be ones involving an impressive falsetto, all evenly spread out, too:

- "Blue Moon"
    - "Stay Away"
    - "Spanish Eyes"
    There was falsetto in Stay Away ??
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

Thanks, Cryo. Will do.

I bet it is this same version that was being discussed.

By the way, don't be a stranger.
    Awww, thanks, Lonnie! Well, I'm usually looking out for your latest posts, at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by T_J View Post
    I believe that was me on the other board It was undoubtedly a high 'C' and it was the version on Holding Back the Years that I was referring to.
    Oh, TJ! There you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Getlo View Post
    There was falsetto in Stay Away ??
    Yes. There is an example of falsetto singing in "Stay Away"; it occurs at the end, when Elvis finishes the song with a random vocal flourish. Perhaps you should cure that laughing affliction along with your ignorance.

What can I say? You're right.Cryogenic
    "I have learned never to ridicule any man's opinion, however strange it may seem."

Mad Tigers
    Heart Of Rome and I'm Leaving. Elvis said at the end of singing I'm Leaving,,,,,take 3,,,"thats tough, worth working on"

Yes. There is an example of falsetto singing in "Stay Away"; it occurs at the end, when Elvis finishes the song with a random vocal flourish. Perhaps you should cure that laughing affliction along with your ignorance.
    '

Keep dreaming, pal!
    Getlo - cute'n'cuddly

agree with you.what a coincidence i really love that version of america in cincinati 76.probably his best version of that song for sure that high note elvis hits at end of the song is spine tingling ..and they say elvis was no good in 76 hahahahaha he was the greatest...if you want to hear that clip your talking about simply go to my website click on elvis concert mp3 audio i have it- you can hear it and save it to your comp that -me-ri-iiii-caaaaa-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! was elvis
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

Yes, in my opinion it is both the best performance and the best recording available of the song from Elvis.

That ending...just out of this world, punctuated perfectly by Larrie Londin's drums. He knew he freakin' nailed it too.

Yes, in my opinion it is both the best performance and the best recording available of the song from Elvis.

That ending...just out of this world, punctuated perfectly by Larrie Londin's drums.
    the vegas dec 75 live version of america that was released. pales when compared to cin 76... its the ultimate best version of america ever
    MY ELVIS WEBSITE
    http://www.tcb-world.com/images/signaturepics/sigpic4801_25.gif[
    ]Elvis i WILL REMEMBER YOU..FOR YOU SING IN MY HEART..AND LIVE IN MY SOUL
    my Selena Website

LMAO !!!

Hey Getlo, you just got OWNED dude ...

No offense.

Quote Originally Posted by T_J View Post
    I believe that was me on the other board It was undoubtedly a high 'C' and it was the version on Holding Back the Years that I was referring to. Here it is
    [non-functioning link removed]

Thanks to Jordan for hosting it.
    That version of "AMERICA" on "Holding Back The Years" is simply remarkable

Why RCA or BMG have yet to release this song in such prisitine sonic quality is a defammation.

I would say "Heart of Rome" because they could not get a complete take. they had to splice two different ones together to make a master take.
    Even Elvis when rehearsaling it for That's the way it is said that was a tuff song.
    Listen to the import CD "the Brightest Star on Sunset Blvd. Vol 2" u can hear him having a difficult time singing it bc it was so difficult.

just my opinion

Shane

I read that Is Now or Never that was the first most challenging piece that he ever sung b/c of the ending. Also, how Great Thou Art when he first sung it in 1966.
    "More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
    University of Memphis

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast