Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis How Tall

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Elvis How Tall

Elvis, How Tall ???????

The picture below is of Elvis in 1970 side view apparently Getting his Honarary Police Badge in Denver Colorado on November 17, 1970 before his concert at the Coliseum. (Info from Paul Sweeny's site)

I was just curious as to the what height Elvis was? I have heard from several sites that Elvis was 6 feet tall exactly, this seems to be quite odd because if you look at the side of the picture you seem to see a height chart. I have put a red line by the six feet mark and Elvis is clearly shorter than six feet approx about 5' 9" - 5' 10" taking into account his hair line and angle of his head!!

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elvis.jpg  

From various books that I read EP was 5'11.5" inches tall, half inch short of six feet.

How tall is that in meters?

Using a conversion chart, it would be about 1.82 meters, which sounds about right given that a meter represents about 3.3 feet. Perhaps some of our European friends can verify if this calculation is about right, thanks in advance.

TCB Mafia
    you're right Joe Car. it's about 1.82 meters

Hi elvisgirl, how you doing?

Here is some information from a Google newsgroup:

1) Bill Burk claims this of Elvis from his army induction photographs: "And in one he was being measured and you could DISTINCTLY see that he stood 5-11 3/4, which anyone would round off to 6-0 (or 180 cm)." Larry Geller, Ed Bonja and many others also claim Elvis was somewhere in the region of 5'11-1/2" to 5'11-3/4".

2) Here is a duplication of a framed list of measurements (supposedly hung in one of Elvis' homes). The first set of measurements listed were taken in March 1962 and the ones in parentheses were taken in January 1957 (all in inches) :

Top of hip to floor/pants 42
    Neck 15 3/4 [15 1/2]
    Chest 42 [42]
    Waist 34 [32]
    Sleeve 31 1/2 [31 1/2]
    Inside Seam 17 1/2 [17 1/2]
    Pant Inseam 31 1/2 [32]
    Hat 7 1/4 [7 1/2]
    Boot 11D [10]
    Hips 41 1/2
    Coat Length 29 1/2

3) Bill Belew claims a much smaller waist size (30") and that Elvis was a size 9 shoe. However, I'm not sure what year Belew is quoting his waist size from. I guess it's possible that Elvis had a 30" waist for the Comeback Special or Vegas 69... but I doubt it. Marty Lacker also refutes the shoe size and claimed that he and Richard Davis always bought size 10.5 boots for Elvis. He also says, "Granted he needed a little extra room for the lifts but not that much."

The source for all of this is: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...833?q=&rnum=19

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Car
    Hi elvisgirl, how you doing?
    i'm fine thanx. and you?

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    That photograph seeming to indicate he was that far under 6' is indeed strange, especially since I doubt he took off his boots for the photo.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

He's within an inch of 6' in the photo.

If, however, he didn't take off his boots... he could be as short as 5'9" (he often wore 2" lifts).

Too many sources corroborate him as between 5'11" and 6' however for me to doubt him as being anything but within those two figures.

There's a peculiarity in the photo as Elvis most certainly wasn't a couple of inches shorter than 6 foot. I have army papers which have his height as 6 foot dead on. As they measured him, I'd expect them to put the correct height, unless he was a quarter of an inch under and they rounded it up. In any case, he was either 6 foot or so close to it that it was pointless mentioning the difference.

Backstage Pass

Elvis' Height!

Elvis was 5'11.I know that for a fact after being obsessed with that subject for some reason and since im friends with a lot of his inner circle i have asked that question plenty and i always get 5'11 but around 6'1 with his lifts.But that picture is kind of weird.In this picture it would make him a bit shorter.

EP stood just slightly under 6'.

Around 5' 11.75" (barefoot). Guys, that's rounded to 6'. Hence, the minor variations. With his lifts, he would easily hit 6' or slightly more.

He "appears" slightly smaller in the above pic, simply because he is hunching his back (JMO, Fwiw). More than likely, EP was "liftless" that day (pun intended).

- Capt. "EL."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    EP stood just slightly under 6'.

Around 5' 11.75" (barefoot). Guys, that's rounded to 6'. Hence, the minor variations. With his lifts, he would easily hit 6' or slightly more.

He "appears" slightly smaller in the above pic, simply because he is hunching his back (JMO, Fwiw). More than likely, EP was "liftless" that day (pun intended).

- Capt. "EL."
    5' 11.75 is a very specific measurement to give. Where are you getting that from?

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I wish to believe that Elvis was 5'11'' or 6' (around 1m78 - 1m80), but pictures of him proof differently. Just look at Elvis in Blue Hawaii when he had no shoes on: he isn't that taller than the women.

If you take into account what the average height of the US male was around 1960-1977 and you have to see Elvis being taller than most men and way taller than women. In jumpsuits (with the high heels) this is the case, but not when he's barefoot of in public.

I don't have proof, but I would much easier belief that Elvis' height was around 5'9'' (1m73).
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Well...

I'm 6'3 1/2" and I'd gladly trade those three and a half inches for a guarantee my hair stayed as thick for as long as it did for Elvis!

International Level
    Well, in my humble opinion for what it's worth

Absolutely: Elvis in no way was the 6'2" that some publications and some of his friends who have fallen prone to idealizing Elvis, not just to serve their memories of him, but his image to his fans, have put him at.

However, from the horse's mouth, before Elvis was really the ELVIS he has now become, the bigger than life legend, he told in more than one interview from 1954 through 1956 (all radio interviews) that he was 6 feet even. Now, that "even" may have been just to simplify things: saying "Aw shucks, well sir, I'm 5 feet eleven and three quarters of an inch tall" may have seemed too much of a bother.

As for Elvis' difference in height with the people around him, be it his cronies or his co-stars:
    I always use the likes of Charlie "platform shoes" Hodge as an example to measure Elvis on stage. Elvis may have worn lifts, but Charlie in the end wore actual huge platform shoes. Take into consideration the height requirements of the American Army (as you all know Elvis met Charlie while in service) and take it from there...... I don't think the army took in 4'10" men in their service, did it? And how short is Joe Esposito?

Most of his female co-stars were average height girls, for sure, around 5'5" in bare feet. Ann Margret (in Come on Everybody) is wearing 4 or 5 inch stiletto heels and she at her peak was 5'5". Angela Lansbury who played his mom, despite being just 10 years his senior, was 5'9" in bare feet at her peak. Considering she was 35 in Blue Hawaii, I'd say that still qualifies her as being at her tallest. She wore 2 inch heels in most scenes with Elvis.....
    I'd say 5'11" and a smidgen is quite accurate.....

TJ -

I knows what I know.

------------------------

Generally speaking:

Questions are asked on various MB's. Answers are given.

Once given, ....... it either confirms what some want to hear ........ or not. That said, ...... sometimes people "resent" (ie: feel it is unfair in someway) that others know things they don't or cannot. At other times, everything is simply questioned by DEFAULT.

It gets tiring, is time consuming, & generally a waste of time.

-------------------------

The question has been answered, ....... & answered correctly (by multiple posters).

For those that enjoy beating a dead horse (for lack of anything else better to do or whatever the reasons), please commence.

- Capt. "EL."

Capt El, you seemed to take my question the wrong way. I wasn't doubting you. I was just interested in the answer as it was so specific that I figured we could finally put this issue to rest if you said the source.

As for the 5'9 theory, there's no way that's true. As already said, you only have to see the height he was against other people whose height we know to judge that he was truly close to 6 foot. If he was 5'9, Cilla was 5 foot, and we know from her biography she was 5'3 - 5'4. Sinatra is another example. He was 5'8 and Elvis was much taller than him.

5', 11.750????" (AROUND 6' / Emphasis on ROUNDed).

Quote Originally Posted by T_J
    Capt El, you seemed to take my question the wrong way. I wasn't doubting you. I was just interested in the answer as it was so specific that I figured we could finally put this issue to rest if you said the source.
    Not taking it the wrong way, at all. Think about what you are saying. Yes, you are doubting. On that note, take it or leave it. It's not a big deal ---> this thread, the initial query, or the answer. Just taking the opportunity to point out one reason I sometimes find things futile - on a number of levels.

- Capt. "EL."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast