Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did Elvis Have Thinning Hair?

Re: Did Elvis Have Thinning Hair?

Not fussing with his hair in concert is something I liked about the man. He was not as egotistical as some made him out to be obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    The only times Elvis wore a wig was in the movie "Jailhouse Rock" where he's supposesed to have his hair cut before imprissonment and the blonde wig in Kissin' Cousins. Somewhere around 1964 he stopped using grease and started the hairspray era. This is also the period Larry Geller came into the picture. From that moment on Elvis got the most ingenius hairstyle ever. But I can assure you that it was no wig. It was cut in a certain way. On the sleeve of the Spinout album you can see that it was a real hairspray style.

Elvis used mascare to darken his lashes various times after Aloha. I you wanna see very clear pictures of you must look at the July tour of 1975. His lashes were so heavy and dark comparing to 1976.
    Leroy,I'm pretty certain you'll find that Elvis did actually have his hair cut in Jailhouse Rock. My theory is that the short hair scenes were done last and the long hair scenes were done first. My reason for saying this is that he had a whole different look to the length of his hair in King Creole, which, as you know, was filmed after Jailhouse Rock. I wish there were someway of finding out what time period passed between the filming of these two movies because it wiuld take sometime for the hair to grow to that length. We must also remember that they did not film movies back to back as they do these days, there was a hiatus between movies.
    This is only my theory and I have not read anything concerning this, but then, I have not read everything.
    It's worth thinking about.
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

Cadillac King

Seems like Elvis wore a wig for "Jailhouse Rock".

"For some scenes in the movie, Elvis had to appear with a very short hair. He didn't mind to cut his hair, but after so many protests from the fans, two wigs were made for those scenes. They were so well made that almost nobody realized it wasn't Elvis's hair. On the subject, Elvis said, "Personally I don't care if they cut my hair. I don't think it makes much difference. Besides it'll grow out again."" (1)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++

"Elvis Keeps Sideburns For Film

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hollywood Decides Wig Will Suffice
    After Deluge From Fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Aline Mosby
    United Press Hollywood Reporter

HOLLYWOOD, June 19.—Elvis Presley was all shook up with gratitude today. Durned if his fans didn’t keep MGM studio from chopping off his famous sideburns and bangs.

MGM figured on giving Elvis a crewcut and shaving off those side-whiskers because he plays a convict in “Jailhouse Rock,” the third movie on the agenda of the Presley steamroller through Hollywood.

But this news caused the biggest crisis in the movie business since Lassie was exposed as a he. Four thousand post cards and letters from Presley fans poured into MGM, begging that the studio let their hero act with his original hair hanging around his sensual-looking face.

A Fortville, Ind., mother wrote, “We love him at our house. Elvis has had more criticism than anyone but his loyal fans stand by him—don’t cut his hair. It’s his trademark.”

Some fans threatened to picket the picture. A Missoula, Mont., girl wrote that “all of us are sick about the haircut.” Letters arrived from the Rock n’ Roll akats Fan Club of O’Fallon, Mo., and the Presley Kats Fan Club of Syracuse, N.Y.

“So now the studio has decided I’ll wear a wig, a crew-cut wig, for the prison scenes,” the victorious Presley announced today over lunch.

“Otherwise my hair will look the same, except it was reddened because in black-and-white it photographed like a cap instead of hair.”

Elvis was having his usual lunch of mashed potatoes, bacon, sliced tomatoes and Coca-Cola, which he says is the nearest thing he can find around here to Mama’s home cooking. His usual retinue of cousins and friends from Tennessee filled his dressing room.

“I never did want my hair cut,” Elvis said. “I wear long hair and sideburns because some people look better with long hair. I do because my face is long.

“The fans like it long, I guess, because they first saw me that way. And I certainly don’t want to do anything they wouldn’t like. Because they put me where I am, and if you don’t please a fan I’ll be back drivin’ a truck. They’re the people who buy my records and tickets.” "(2)

"The film's hair stylist provided Elvis with a specially fitted wig for Vince's prison butch haircut." (3)

References:
    (1) http://www.elvis100percent.com/filmo...rocktrivia.htm
    (2) http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/el...ine-mosby.html
    (3) http://www.tonkoorevaar.be/elvis%20f...se-rock-p3.htm

Well, I would never have guessed that this was a short hair wig. It has truly got to be the best I've seen. It's had me fooled for the past 50 years. The question has to be asked,"How did they get all that hair in there?".
    The facts remains, his hair was a lot shorter in "King Creole." The sideburns were gone.
    This is the first time I have ever read about this. I did read many years ago while they were making "Kissin' Cousins" that he would not come out of his trailor because he was embarrassed about the blonde wig he had to wear.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

Cadillac King

At the front of the wig, in this clip, it doesn't look like a natural hairline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgTVm...feature=relmfu

As the hair grows out, in this clip (at 6:50) this wig, a bad one, becomes obvious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xltno...feature=relmfu

"Jailhouse Rock":

...."Shooting resumed on May 13, 1957 and was completed on June 17". (1)

(Poster card "Jailhouse Rock").

"King Creole":

"Filming took place between January 20 and March 12, 1958" (2)

(Elvis signing autographs on location, "King Creole").

References:

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailhouse_Rock_(film)
    (2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Creole
    Last edited by Turbo; 04-21-2012 at 05:37 PM.

I've read that he had his hair cut before filming for King Creole as a sort of adjustment for his Army hair cut.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Cadillac King

I read that too; however, this film shows that Elvis had his hair cut as part of his Recruitment into the Army:

Reference:

(1) http://members.tripod.com/sharoncarrell_1/army.html
    (2) " “King Creole” was only Elvis’ fourth film and the last before military service cut his hair"". http://twentyfourframes.wordpress.co...ichael-curtiz/

I read in one of the books??...that he had his hair cut in stages before going to Germany.....took the shock out of it all going at once
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

I recall reading that as well and it is evident from photos leading up to his induction and including that day. He'd go to his barber every week or whatever and tell him to take another half-inch off. Not only would it be less of a shock to himself but I think the main thing was that he didn't want the press and any haters getting a kick out of all that hair coming off at once for the army haircut.

...you won't forget me when I go.

With apologies...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    I recall reading that as well and it is evident from photos leading up to his induction and including that day. He'd go to his barber every week or whatever and tell him to take another half-inch off. Not only would it be less of a shock to himself but I think the main thing was that he didn't want the press and any haters getting a kick out of all that hair coming off at once for the army haircut.

going off on a slight tangent,.....lol
    I disagree with all the press photographing him at this time.....all the underwear shots etc......totally uncalled for
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Yeah, that's pretty demeaning. Can you imagine? Why on earth was that allowed?

probably the Colonel, he smelled a good photo opportunity..........bad enough.....just losing his Mum,.......the worlds press in your face,......without having to standing there in your undies

The barber that did Elvis' Army hair cut wasn't he related to Ginger Alden somehow. I never understood why the press were allowed to follow his whole Army induction.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    The barber that did Elvis' Army hair cut wasn't he related to Ginger Alden somehow. I never understood why the press were allowed to follow his whole Army induction.
    Actually I believe Ginger Aldens father was the Sgt. who administered the oath to all the recruits who were inducted the day Elvis entered the service.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet View Post
    With apologies...

You should apologize lol, that's a god-awful haircut!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123