Thread: help to update ELVIS AT STAX

help to update ELVIS AT STAX

Here is a preview of the new ELVIS AT STAX main page. Before updating it, I?d like to hear your comments to improve it. Hpoe you like it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mainpage.jpg  
    "Until we meet again, God bless you and Adios."

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Looks great, Jeanno. I wonder if the image of Elvis shouldn't be a little bigger though. And perhaps you could also minimize the sunlight on Elvis?
    Best of luck with this. Your site is very cool.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

You?re absolutaly right, Lonnie : Elvis is too small and the sun light doesn?t fit well here... I?ll fix it up tonight. Thanks also for your kind comments.
    Best regards.

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

Steve
    Looks very Nice!!!!

This is a page that you must upload!!! Nice one jeanno
    A great Page added to this Great Site

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    You're most welcome, Jeanno. I look forward to seeing it.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Steve

Thanks!
    I think it will be uploaded next week.

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanno
    Steve

Thanks!
    I think it will be uploaded next week.
    Great!!!

Let us know so we can chek it out!!!!!!

Fanastic conception!!!!! Not only a great, great background image... but a great, great idea.

Here are my thoughts:

None of these are meant as directions - merely suggestions.

I really like the idea of you incorporating your various menu items/links as posters or wall hangings within the original image. However, it is evident that you haven't applied this idea universally. It would be really cool, in my opinion, if you did.

1) I think that you should try scaling down the "What Hap?" image a bit so that you could possibly leave yourself with enough space for another image underneath (I recommend either "Database" or "Links").

2) Why not use the second chair (one adjacent to Elvis) for, say, "Pics"? Try to find an image of a photo album, a picture frame, a camera or something else that is associated with still photography and place it on the chair. I'm not quite sure how you could incorporate the heading - "Pics" - within the scene, however. The chair is at too much of a sharp angle for it to be reasonably visible on the back of the chair. Hmmm.... Well, I suppose that if you have the image of a photo album on the chair (stood up with its spine parallel to the backrest of the chair), then you might be able to just add the caption to the front of the album.

3) OK, that still leaves "Database". You could potentially add this to the windowed partition just behind Elvis. (Y'know... the big section of space to the left of the "window".). Then again, as much space as their might be for an image, the word "Database" is pretty long for the available screen width. It MIGHT therefore be best to put the Database link underneath the "What Hap?" link (as outlined in my first point) and put the "Links" caption/image against the partition. You may find that, in reality, the microphone would partially obstruct the image attached to the partition; if so, I recommend layering the microphone back in on top of the "Links" image and possibly adding a shadow.

4) You may also want to change the way the "Charts" link is currently set out. I can see your concept is to to have the caption and the image paired together and surrounded by a non-broken white rectangular line... That's fine for when the menu item is completely flat against a wall... but that concept doesn't really work for the chair scenario. I'd personally do away with the white line for the chair and simplify the caption to "Charts" and then move it to the backrest of the chair. Again, the image of the Elvis album that is currently stood up and resting against the back of the chair may need layering in over the caption and a small shadow adding.

5) What are the two menu items - "Database" and "Links" - currently blocking? Is that a piano or something? Maybe you could use that space somehow.

6) Lastly... Elvis. The right side of his body has been flawlessly integrated into the picture. VERY good work. To be honest, it took me a while to realise the left side of his body is overlit by sunlight - the whole thing has been done that well! However, now that I have noticed it, it's hard to STOP noticing it (Im sure that as an artist, you can appreciate what I mean!). The careful use of a darkening tool/brush on Elvis' affected side may rectify the problem entirely.

Note: It almost goes without saying, but... you'll be wanting to reshape, resize and edit the various menu items I've been talking about to fit into the new places I've suggested. I'd personally cut down on the text itself (i.e. shorter captions). In the case of what you have written in small text for the "Stax Pics" menu item at present, I'd jettison it from the original image and maybe add it back as something that pops up when the user has his/her mouse pointer over that part of the image itself.

OK... that's your lot.
    I hope my post hasn't been a "napalm bomb" and "blown your mind".

Unchained

Thanks for your comments. I wasn?t very happy too with the "buttons" until I read what wrote...

Cryogenic

... and thought : "WAOOW!" What a terrific reply! THANKYOUVERYMUCH! I?m working right now but if I was at home, I already would have started to try your great ideas. Actually, "Elvis" has been done : no sunlight anymore and a little bit taller. I think it is OK. Well, for the rest of the job, I CAN?T WAIT TONIGHT! Your ideas are just great and I hope I will be able to use them the best way possible.

Thanks again!

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

Hey, jeanno... no problem at all! You're quite welcome.

Some of my suggestions might be too time consuming, or even if you have the time and patience to actually try them, may just not work out in practice. Although I don't have that much experience, I have enough to know that an idea that SOUNDS like it may work in your head doesn't necessarily give the desired results in reality. But I hope I've, at the least, given you something to go on.

Good luck!

Here is an updated version.

Thanks to you all for the help!

PS : Only the very beginning of the piano could be seen because of a pic just on it. The final result - with a longer piano and two music sheets of "I?ve Got A Thing About You Baby" - is not that bad .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails version B.jpg  
    Last edited by jeanno; 04-02-2005 at 12:22 AM.

Y@NOTE RECORDS 2004

What ever happend with this idea, jean-no? Is the site coming soon?
    Because the idea and the picture lay-out are very cool, very different than most sites!
    Hope to see you're site back online very soon!
    Take care my friend.