Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New CBS series photos...

Backstage Pass

New CBS series photos...

Jonathan myers and Rose McGowan as Elvis and Ann-Margret!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elvisandannmarg.jpg  

Coming On Strong
    i think rose will make a great anne margret!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    She looks great as Ann Margret (well, even looks great as herself). But I always have a instant dislike for actors playing Elvis. I've always have the feeling that Elvis is portrayed one-dimensional with the trademarks remarks like "My boy, my boy" or "My momma alwats said" and moves like the swinging the hips 50s style (even while he's performing in Vegas), etc.

I can't help but feeling that the writers/actors don't have a clue about who Elvis was if you see painfully simple mistakes in movies and series like these.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

wich one is Elvis

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieterpix
    wich one is Elvis
    same here
    I think he doesent look like Elvis...

International Level
    Don't know if these were posted yet

Yep, going by this pint sized Elvis (next to Priscilla on the one hand and dwarfed by the Colonel on the other) I'm guessing in this series Elvis IS 5'9"

One Word ..... Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterpix
    One Word ..... Terrible
    Exactly my thougts...

He has nothing of his looks,charisma,anything at all...

Typical EPE subject...
    JohanD

"And i'm never gonna cease my wondering..."

Hi Cherokee
    After seeing them pic's you just posted
    it has put me off watching this mini series

International Level
    Quote Originally Posted by pacer1965
    Hi Cherokee
    After seeing them pic's you just posted
    it has put me off watching this mini series
    Uh-oh Are ya thankin' me or blamin' me?

Steve
    I guess this is the only pic. he looks a bit like Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee
    Uh-oh Are ya thankin' me or blamin' me?
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I guess this is the only pic. he looks a bit like Elvis

Probably because this pic is darker Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    She looks great as Ann Margret (well, even looks great as herself). But I always have a instant dislike for actors playing Elvis. I've always have the feeling that Elvis is portrayed one-dimensional with the trademarks remarks like "My boy, my boy" or "My momma alwats said" and moves like the swinging the hips 50s style (even while he's performing in Vegas), etc.

I can't help but feeling that the writers/actors don't have a clue about who Elvis was if you see painfully simple mistakes in movies and series like these.
    i feel just he way you do. But there is one thing worse than all those remarks. it's when they try to laughe like Elvis. i can't stand it. i have not seen this serie so i should not complain, but when i hear actors and imersinators try to lughe like Elvis, it wakes the deamon inside me . they sound more like a drunken sailor than Elvis.

But ill wait before i judge this serie.

International Level
    Because of the great success , here?s more to enjoy!

Couldn't they give this midget some of Elvis' lifts to use?
    Last edited by Cherokee; 04-17-2005 at 05:17 PM.

And worse yet, they sometimes embellish his life story ON PURPOSE. An Elvis film made in the early 80s featured Elvis continually obsessing over Jesse (and possibly visiting his grave) simply because the makers wanted to over-dramatise the narrative and have a recurring motif. Never mind the fact that it was a complete fabrication on their behalf and they were fully aware of it.

One thing (amongst many) that disturbs me about the posted images is how dull and lifeless they are. The photo by Steve is very misleading; it looks glorious whereas the rest are pretty abysmal. These pictures only look two or three degrees removed from candid family photographs you or I might take. I'm not sure what the budget allowed so the comparison may be somewhat unfair but "Ray" (the seminal movie made about the life of fellow musical icon Ray Charles) kicks this Elvis production all over the ballpark; it has beautiful photography that is truly evocative of the period(s) being documented, the personality of Ray himself and the rich, colourful music he made. The line between TV movies and full-blown films is very blurred these days so I'm willing to bet more - MUCH more - could have been attempted and done. Yet Elvis gets shafted again! Totally incongruous but typical, isn't it?

Couldn't they give this midget some of Elvis' lifts to use?
    Before worring about that, I'd be deeply concerned about his hair: WHY THE HELL IS IT BROWN AND NOT JET BLACK???? EP's hair colour has got to be one of his most prominent features and one of the simplest things to get right - yet the makers of this thing have even screwed that up! Without his jetblack hair - which visually connotes an ethereal beauty as well as sharpy contrasting his face - Elvis loses more than words can describe! There's a difference between humanising the man and misrepresenting him to the point of absurd banality and outright blasphemy.

Again, there's another very significant flaw with this mini series: It ends at 1968. Someone should really have told the makers that the man actually lived another nine years! How else could Priscilla have divorced him and made her millions? Again, they screw up on something INCREDIBLY simple!

(P.S. Note the hugely ironic jab of my last remark - directly squarely at Priscilla and EPE).

One area where the mini series could triumph - the ONE thing that will make or break it when all is said and done - is the human element. If the approach to the direction and the acting is done in just the right way, then this thing might still have something to offer. The mini series does, after all, have some incredibly good actors in its fold. Other than that, however, I'm not seeing/hearing anything to be even moderately impressed about.

One final thing: The actress portraying Priscilla doesn't really cut it in the wedding photos. Priscilla looked fantastically gorgeous in the REAL wedding pics; well and truly STUNNING. Suffice it to say that her "ambassador" doesn't come anywhere near. I find it rather odd, too - she looks a **** sight better in the photograph of Elvis greetings fans in his army uniform. Oddly, Rhys-Meyers himself suffers there in comparison to his appearance in other pictures where he looks reasonably believable; unlike Elvis who looked amazing in his army uniform, Rhys-Meyers looks ape-ish and unconvincing (check out the chunky ears and goofy smile). At least the actress in the guise of Ann Margaret looks truly gobsmacking; the word "gorgeous" doesn't even begin to describe her.
    Last edited by Cryogenic; 04-17-2005 at 06:11 PM.

International Level
    Have any of you see rose on tv series charmed.
    i think on the 5th year of the show she sang "Fever'
    and did very well on it.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

Another thing I should say...

Having read the synopsis which went up a few days ago, it sounds like they've well and truly villified the Colonel. I'm sure it'll go down very well with most fans but it hardly seems like a fair or accurate picture of the man. Further, by focusing so intently on how Elvis allowed his life to be pushed and pulled by a single man, they're also trivialising his relationship with the Colonel and saying something profoundly negative about Elvis. While it is evident that the Colonel made some poor decisions and had a detrimental effect on Elvis' life and career, a lot of blame must also go to Elvis for his own passivity/lethargy. Let's not kid ourselves here... Elvis may not have been happy making fluffy movies for most of the 60s and he may not have been happy that some of his most beautiful studio work ("Tomorrow Is A Long Time", "Down In The Alley" and "I'll Remember You") were all slapped on a tacky film soundtrack album BUT... what did he do to stop it? Not a lot. I'm sure he had NO problems with the salaries the Colonel negotiated for him or the countless larking about on set or the women that came his way, either.

Then I cast my mind back to the exchange I read and commented upon between Elvis and Steve Binder. And then I AGAIN think of the fact that the story ends at 1968. This mini series sounds like it's taken all the easy answers and not even tried for anything of real susbtance.

Cadillac King
    I really hope we don't get the series here, it doesn't look too good, does it? It seems to me that the producers are doing this movie on the cheap. Everything looks so 'cheesy'. A second grade movie, the only thing certain about it is they seem to be following tom parkers lead in making something using the least amount of money possible. I can see us having to 'go into bat' for Elvis once again, the non fans are going to have a field day with this rubbish.
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

Bout the hair-I was wondering bout it when I was watching This is Elvis as well- the guy had too long hair-tooo brown, in one word saying-it's way too stupid not to say more to try to play Elvis(whereas talkin bout THIS is Elvis-the actor that played 70's El was quite ok (minus voice of course-I hate that smb wants to sound like Him....)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast