Thread: Enter the Dragon - But when, how and where?

Backstage Pass

Enter the Dragon - But when, how and where?

Hi folks,

I am struggling with a design for FTD's Dragonheart show, from October 1, 1974 in Southbend, Indiana.

First of all, I renamed it into Enter the Dragon and would like to hear your comments about that.

I chose two pix which are widely known, but the two of them suggest karate, some kind of Far East style etc. pp. (hence the title from the Bruce Lee movie for this show).

The front cover is okay, but as is with any strictly symmetrical design it is a bit boring. Any idea how I can improve it without sacrificing the frontal impact?

The back cover is okay, too, because it is somewhat exotic and mysterious (at least, I hope it is). but I also feel it it to be a bit chaotic and overcrowded and it lacks a clear structure.

So, guys, give me a kick (not in the butt, but into my inspiration).

And, last but not least. I doubt, whether it is useful to make another cover for this poor show, in particular, because Spinout Designs, Patrick and Wildstyle already produced stunning designs.

But I like that Chinese Dragon suit and I don't know which CD I could choose instead, since I already made a cover for Breathing out Fire years ago. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enter_1.jpg   Enter_2.jpg  

Backstage Pass
    Thanks for our comments, Unchained.

Well, in fact, the front cover is a typical poster design, and did it this way to suggest the mentioned movie visually.

As for a different Chinese looking font, this one is the only I was able to unearth. I think it looks pretty cool, but I would like to test the font FTD, Spinout Designs, Patrick and Wildstyle used for their versions, but I forgot it's name. Can anyone help? I am sure I have that font somewhere ...

Man, I really dig that front cover. Looks real cool.

The back cover needs a little work though IMO. I'm confused as to why you would lay the tracklisting out like that. I guess you were going for something different, but it just doesn't work. Also I think the back would look more professional with some logo's, and some "mumbo jumbo" writing (as I like to call it lol). You know, the whole "Elvis Presley is a registered trademark... blah, blah, blah... all rights reserved."

Backstage Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by WildStyle
    Man, I really dig that front cover. Looks real cool.
    Thanks, WS.

The back cover needs a little work though IMO. I'm confused as to why you would lay the tracklisting out like that. I guess you were going for something different, but it just doesn't work.
    My intention was to create a sense of Asian writing (from top to bottom), but as you say, it does not work well.

Also I think the back would look more professional with some logo's, and some "mumbo jumbo" writing (as I like to call it lol). You know, the whole "Elvis Presley is a registered trademark... blah, blah, blah... all rights reserved."
    As for now, I have always been rejecting the idea and avoided putting these logos on my covers, but maybe I should give them a try now.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Whether it completely 'works' or not, this is a highly inspired design that's great to look at, any way you slice it.

...you won't forget me when I go.

TCB Mafia
    I must admit that i kinda of like it the way it is

Its a really nice design and different at the same time. The tracks listed this way work fine for me....but not to everyone's taste i guess.

Nice one Manhattoe....why change the cd ? So what if other have designed covers for this show....shouldn't effect anything....just means we have yet another good cover to choose from...well thats my opinion anyhow
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Backstage Pass
    I agree with Chris, finish it. I like it all except for the sideways track listing (but I think I could get used to that as well.) If you can find a different font for "Enter The Dragon" that might make it even better. I do like the idea you have behind your design.

Backstage Pass
    Thanks for your comments and encouragment, folks.

I will put it aside for awhile and elaborate it later (there is not time for finishing it quickly anyway).

I am somewhat surprised that some of you don'l like the Chinese font (Sumdumgoi ist its name, btw).

It may be hard to read, but it really looks Chinese because every letter tries to imitate a Chinese sign graphically.

As for the fonts FTD and some others used, I am still searching for it in order to give it a try. But since it appears on so many designs, I would rather not use it. But let's see ...

What's the name of that font used by FTD? It's not Bamboo, isn't it? Or Shanghai? Without the name of the font I won't find it ...

I have a font called seven swordman that you might try. I don't know if it is at all what you are looking for but I though it couldn't hurt to try..

J.C.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Backstage Pass
    Thanks guys.

I am just returning from a trip to the North Sea coast and coming back I find the two font attachments. Great.

I will give them a try and post the results if they are worth it.

Backstage Pass

Manhattoe still struggling with the dragon ...

I need your help guys.

As you see, I am still struggling with the design for ENTER THE DRAGON (my version of FTD's DRAGONHEART, that is).

I completely revised the backcover, finished the inlay, but the frontcover is still troubling me.

At first, my intention was to design a strictly symmetrical design that was to recall a movie poster in the style of the famous Bruce Lee Eastern (hence my title).

This is the version on the left side.

On second thought, I considered it a bit boring, so I added the fire, an element which emphasizes the King's conjuring gesture (that is tze version on - guess - right side).

Which version do you like more? Do you like it all?

I also thought about designing a totally different frontcover (as I had done with the back), but somehow I like the basic idea of this one.

Another problem is, that I already used the wall of fire for my cover for ONE HELLUVA NIGHT.

Come on guys, gimme fire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dragon_v1.jpg   Dragon_v2.jpg  

Backstage Pass
    I think the one one the right with the fire is the best one for sure.

Yes,the one on the right is very nice.Quite good work.
    Destination deals the cards we're just playing.

Backstage Pass
    Thanks folks.

The one with the fire was my choice, too.

However, I changed some more details and now I am quite satisfied with the result.

I will present the results here asap.