Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Jumpsuit Stone Ring

  1. #1
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993

    Jumpsuit Stone Ring

    Interesting story got e-mailed to me which I have attached, let me know what you guys think (I have posted my reply also)

    Having seen the ring I think the stone looks a bit big to have come from a jumpsuit?? any way let me know your thoughts

    Hello! My name is Dee Dee and I am from Texas, USA. I have just spent quite a bit of time staring at your Elvis Presley Picture Galleries! It is totally awesome! You have done an incredible job and should be very proud!

    I hope you dont mind, but I have a question for you regarding the Black Spanish Flowers Jumpsuit. I am very interested in finding out if Elvis ever wore this Jumpsuit in Vegas. Do you know if he did?

    Let me tell you the reason I am so interested in this particular Jumpsuit. Last summer I was in Memphis for Elvis Week. Are you are familiar with Mike McGregor? He worked for Elvis beginning in 1967 (I think it was 67...) and took care of the horses. He made jewelry for Elvis and was a friend of his also. He worked for him until Elvis died. You probably already know who this is, so I wont say anymore!

    Mike died a few years ago but his wife Barbara has continues to have a booth during Elvis Week. I always go by and look at all the beautiful things she has! Last summer I was looking in the case where they put the BIG jewelry. There were several things that Elvis owned that Mike made for him.

    I spotted a ring.... a big silver ring with a large red stone. I asked Kim, the guy that helps Barbara, about the ring. He said the stone came from Elvis' Jumpsuit!! He said it was in the later years when Elvis was onstage in Vegas that the stone popped off. Vernon picked it up and gave it to Mike and told him to make something for Elvis with it. The ring was never worn by Elvis, but it came from his JUMPSUIT!! I was ecstatic! I tried it on and it fit my index finger! WOW!

    I called my husband back in Waco, Texas.......begged and pleaded with him to let me buy this ring! To have something that Elvis actually WORE and TOUCHED.... OH MY GOSH!!! Well, it took me all week long to convince my husband to let me, but finally the following weekend.... he gave in and said.. Oh just buy the **** thing! LOLOL I was beside myself! I paid 2,200 bucks for that ring. And its worth every penny to me! I wear it every single day!!

    Barbara cannot remember exactly what the year was.... or which Jumpsuit it came from but she is positive it was Vegas. She said Elvis had invited Mike to come to the concert and paid his way to go.

    I have been trying to find out which Jumpsuit it came from. I have looked at as many Jumpsuits as I can, but the Black Spanish Flowers one is the only one that looks like it might have RED stones that are big enough. My computer crashed not long ago and I lost pictures of the ring. Sad...I havent taken another one.

    Ok. What do you think? Do you have any idea if Elvis ever wore this Jumpsuit while in Vegas?

    I want to thank you for taking the time to even read this long letter! AND I want to thank you IN ADVANCE for taking the time to find out for me if Elvis ever wore it in Vegas.

    Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!!!! Maybe you can just point me in the right direction of someone else who might be able to help!

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Sincerely and Elvisly Yours,
    Dee Dee Mills
    My Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie
    Hi Dee Dee, thank you for your interesting e-mail.

    I have consulted one of my friends from the Elvis world and discussed your story.
    Elvis did indeed wear the jumpsuit in question in Vegas on September 1st 1974.
    and the possibility that a stone fell off is a real one.

    The stones have a blue and silver glow, I would love to see some photographs of
    the ring, this would help to get a clearer idea of size and what the colours are.

    Out of curiosity did you get a letter of authenticity $2,200 is a lot of money to pay
    without some sort verification as to the origination of the stone and the surrounding
    story!

    As pointed out by my friend "Elvis had Lowell Hayes to manufacture his jewelry.
    Vernon was well aware of that fact because he had to pay the bills"

    What other pieces are available and what was the price range, do they have
    a web site?

    I'm curious to see some of the designs and if they make replicas of original pieces.

    It would be nice to see a picture of Elvis wearing the ring.

    I hope this has been of some help.

    Regards,

    Matt
    I have found Mike McGregors site Click Here some nice pieces but price wise dear for what they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deering2.jpg  

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884

    Interesting thead .....

    ... even more interesting is the lack of responses / views to accompany.

    ------------------

    At any rate:

    1. Anything is possible, but ............. is it likely?

    2. Quote - "I spotted a ring.... a big silver ring with a large red stone. I asked Kim, the guy that helps Barbara, about the ring. He said the stone came from Elvis' Jumpsuit!! He said it was in the later years when Elvis was onstage in Vegas that the stone popped off. Vernon picked it up and gave it to Mike and told him to make something for Elvis with it. The ring was never worn by Elvis, but it came from his JUMPSUIT!! I was ecstatic! I tried it on and it fit my index finger! WOW!"

    The portion in BOLD, ............. I'm sorry, but I don't buy it - not for a second.

    I agree, however, that such a ring was never worn by EP.

    3. Fragmented pieces of Elvis-Owned items are - in most, if not all cases, practically impossible to positively ID / confirm. Hence, ........... the story-line / provenance is one that is commonly used. Basically, this one comes down to the veracity or FAITH one can apply to the primary source (note: deceased primary source). I think that sums it up.

    4. You are never going to find nor touch a genuine EP-Owned or worn ring ......... for a couple thousand USD's. They just don't exist in that price range.

    --------------------

    Since it has been asked, & no replies forthcoming ---> I have given my candid response to this query.

    I'm sure it is not what some want to hear, but .......... nevertheless, there it is.


    - Capt. "EL."

    PS - Hayes, & many others were responsible for customizing jewelry pieces for EP.

  3. #3
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175
    I think those of us who did read JJ's post before immediately realized this was a question for our Captain and moved on.

    Interesting story, Matt. By the way, the estate does sell some Mike McGregor pieces in their stores and catalogue. As with so many other people, I think his association with Elvis has been greatly exaggerated...He worked with Elvis until he died...That's basically what EPE says too. Well, the guy sure hasn't gotten much mention in all the accounts of the people who definitely were there all those years. I'm not saying he wasn't a friend or didn't make some jewelry for him or help out at the Circle G, but whenever I read his brief bio wherever his jewelry is presented, I go .
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    There is a lot of crap out there from the dark side of The Elvis World. It has forever jaded my viewpoint on certain topics / people / how the world works. Some, I guarantee you, would be hard for many to believe.

    At any rate, ..... this fragmented jewelry piece is absolutely nothing & is typical tall-tale nonsense that is often used to play off of the emotions / hysteria of sincere, naive, & generally good people who happen to be fans that are just all to anxious to own an item at a too good to be true price.

    -------------

    Greed is destined to forever haunt EP's legacy - for good & bad.


    - Capt. "EL."

  5. #5
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993
    I totally agree with the comments from the Captain, there would never be a piece of Elvis jewelry going for that price range? The story is fanciful at best and is indeed an inherent part of the Elvis world these days, the reason for my response in the e-mail is that I didnt want to upset someone who had paid such a lot of money for something that I see as a obvious hoax, after all what will i gain from it, perhaps she will feel a happiness known only to a few. I see little reason to take that away from her, some day someone will be only happy to do that for me.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Well stated JJ.

    I also thought & refrained for a while myself before posting on this thread.

    It is not a task that I relish, on multiple levels, to say the least.

    It is also not something that I will always do - publicly. I have stopped over @ FECC & foresee the day that I will do the same here.

    The walls do indeed - obviously - have ears, my friends.


    - Capt. "EL."

  7. #7
    Coming On Strong
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    65
    Cap, for what it's worth, I appreciate the information you share with us. You are always candid, and IMO, very knowledgeable in your responses.
    Thanks!
    "They poisoned you with compromise; At what point did you realize; Everyone loved your life but you...
    ...No one learned from your mistakes; We let our profits go to waste. All that's left, in any case, is Advertising Space"

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Minni -

    Your comments are indeed worth something to me - my thanks in return.

    All my best.

    - Capt. "EL." / N8

  9. #9
    International Level Leroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rhenen - Holland.
    Posts
    845
    Another thing comes to mind regarding this item. It's been said that a lot of people from the inner circle of Elvis sold a lot of stuff that has been labeled as being possesed by Elvis but wasn't. One of the reasons behind this was that a lot of co-workers were left without an income or a job after Elvis death. One of them even went as far as buying second hand guitars in a local store to sell them as Elvis' guitars to whoever was interested. Especially in the days right after Elvis death while the atmosphere was filled with emotion.

    And let's face it, a lot of people got letters from Elvis that weren't even written by him so I guess it's part of the industry.

    The only way to be sure some belongings were Elvis' was if you got it from his own hands, like a cape or a belt during one of his concerts. And even then, after many years who would believe you?
    The best thing to do if you have personal Elvis items is to enjoy it in silence.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Interesting, & fascinating.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    Another thing comes to mind regarding this item. It's been said that a lot of people from the inner circle of Elvis sold a lot of stuff that has been labeled as being possesed by Elvis but wasn't. One of the reasons behind this was that a lot of co-workers were left without an income or a job after Elvis death. One of them even went as far as buying second hand guitars in a local store to sell them as Elvis' guitars to whoever was interested. Especially in the days right after Elvis death while the atmosphere was filled with emotion.
    It really does depend on many factors: the item first, the primary source second (ie: provenance), & everything else after that.

    Which sources are reliable and which are not are pretty much known to seasoned (as well as honest) collectors (vested interests, etc., aside). For the most part, it can sometimes be a mixed bag ---> bad & good items from individuals, some have made legit mistakes while others have an obvious pattern of such behavior ( ), etc., ..... with the truly reliable vs. the completely bad falling into opposite extreme minorities.

    Many of EP's owned items were not viewed as anything special in the days and even first year or two immediately after 1977. In fact, you would scarcely believe some of the stories that I could tell you that happened with some common, regular, everyday items ....... that were merely seen as second-hand junk & what became of a lot of it.

    The wise viewpoint of inherent value of many items, came much later, exploding in the 90's & eventually becoming the cesspool that is today in 2005.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    And let's face it, a lot of people got letters from Elvis that weren't even written by him so I guess it's part of the industry.
    Secretarial signed EP material that was sent / recieved via genuine / "Official" transmittal channels (ie: Graceland or The Col. Staff & Offices) ......... is rampant. The stuff is still passed today by novices as being EP signed / written.

    There is a ton of it out there & it makes the truly genuine all the more rare, valuable, & sought after.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    The only way to be sure some belongings were Elvis' was if you got it from his own hands, like a cape or a belt during one of his concerts. And even then, after many years who would believe you?
    Genuine items always speak for themselves on follow-up with multiple independent sources. There will come a day, however, when even this is no longer possible & your statements (here) will be truly accurate. I can count on one hand the number of primary sources that are truly trustworthy, without question.

    Regarding jumpsuits & accessories, .... once again, there are ways to confirm, but the primary source, provenance, & chain-of-ownership are everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    The best thing to do if you have personal Elvis items is to enjoy it in silence.
    Very true words. That, & only share it with those whom you truly know & trust.

    The wise do indeed do just that.



    - Capt. "EL."

  11. #11
    TCB Mafia P.S. Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,055
    Capt'n I hope you keep giving your honest comments!

  12. #12
    Coming On Strong Dave TCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    84
    Hi,
    In the end does it really matter? If you are pleased with the item then thats it
    Ive seen the "official" tcb ring and Im afraid I was not impressed with it for that price.
    Heres my Elvis ring collection. Of course they are not EP owned But to me they are, if you know what I mean http://insane4x4.topcities.com/miscpics.htm

    By the way I think your ring is cool

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    PolkS. -

    My thanks to you as well, for your comments. Much appreciated.

    ----------------------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave TCB
    Hi,
    In the end does it really matter? If you are pleased with the item then thats it ..
    Regarding the first portion of your quote above, ....

    Yes, it does of course matter - on multiple levels. Let me also ask you this: if it didn't matter, then why the initial E-mail .... & why this thread?

    Genereally speaking:

    Anybody who says otherwise either hasn't spent the money to own genuine items .............. or simply doesn't own any. I know this sounds arrogant & I'm sorry if it hurts feelings, but ........ I've encountered this countless times before. Otherwise, just take it in the candid spirit that it is offered & remember that I didn't start this thread (but it is one reason I now avoid them ).

    BTW, ..... the best replica TCB rings are not via "Official" channels / outlets / venues. Replica items are not of interest to me personally, but as you say .......... if one is pleased with them, that's all that matters (on this I do agree).


    - Capt. "EL."
    Last edited by Captain Elwood David; 03-12-2005 at 03:52 PM.

  14. #14
    Coming On Strong Dave TCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    84
    Well of course if you bought it just because its supposed to be Elvis owned then it matters. Personally I wouldnt buy an item just because it was supposedly owned by Elvis, theres too many fakes now and its almost impossible to prove. I have seen and had several items offered to me and never bothered. Id rather save my money and get a good replica I took my rings to my jeweller to see if i had been "had"

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    884
    Hi Dave, Welcome to the MB,

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave TCB
    Well of course if you bought it just because its supposed to be Elvis owned then it matters.
    Hence, the purpose & reason for this thread's creation & existence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave TCB
    Personally I wouldnt buy an item just because it was supposedly owned by Elvis, theres too many fakes now and its almost impossible to prove.
    You are correct. Even I wouldn't take the plunge given the nature of the market today - and knowing what I know now.

    Too many fakes, ......... absolutely.

    "Impossible to prove", .......... not everything, & that applies to both categories (legit & fakes).

    When it is impossible, ......... you simply avoid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave TCB
    I have seen and had several items offered to me and never bothered.
    In other words, ........... you are i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-e-d.

    Like I said, I've seen this all before.

    Keep convincing yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave TCB
    Id rather save my money and get a good replica. I took my rings to my jeweller to see if i had been "had"
    Yeah, but real EP-Owned / Worn rings are real sweet too .....

    Only thing is, ....... you'd be very, very hard pressed to locate one today. Hell, people have even resorted to stealing truly genuine ones from Museums because they are indeed so sought after - yet scarce. Even Graceland proper only has a few, because EP simply couldn't keep them on his fingers.

    I guess you can count your blesseings on multiple levels there.


    - Capt. "EL."

Similar Threads

  1. TCB Ring
    By carolynlm in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
  2. Harold J. Stone
    By JerryNodak in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 10:02 AM
  3. mike stone
    By joanne in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 07:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •