Thread: Elvis' Books.....

Backstage Pass

Elvis' Books.....

...we all know what an avid reader he was- especially the spiritual/philosophical books, but has anyone ever tried reading them? I borrowed a copy of the Prophet by Khalil Gibran from someone I know, and actually enjoyed some of it, although it didn't change my life or anything; and I also borrowed The Impersonal Life (from the same person!), but I find it very heavy going (possibly due to my non-religious background)...has anyone else ever read them?

International Level ComeBackChick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mez
    ...we all know what an avid reader he was- especially the spiritual/philosophical books, but has anyone ever tried reading them? I borrowed a copy of the Prophet by Khalil Gibran from someone I know, and actually enjoyed some of it, although it didn't change my life or anything; and I also borrowed The Impersonal Life (from the same person!), but I find it very heavy going (possibly due to my non-religious background)...has anyone else ever read them?
    I would have to say no... I did read Larry Geller's book, thats how far it goes. I am not really into spiritual stuff and poetry, you could call me shallow I guess.... I have done some reading about psychology in the past though.

Coming On Strong
    I've gone to the bookstore and looked at some of the books he really liked a couple of times. I finally bought Impersonal Life and have only gotten partway through it. I agree with you, it's very heavy going. If you read the introduction part in the beginning, it says something about reading just a portion at a time and giving it alot of thought. Maybe that would make it easier. I know I have to be in the exact right mood to read any of it!
    Before Elvis, there was nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by Mez

I dont know... never read them before, and have no intention to read it.. i am interested with religious reading but it has to be in the same level of my religious belief and understanding .. if not then i will find a hard time to understand what is it all about..

I wonder too... how Elvis could understand all those stuff... i mean heavy reading, ... its not something like a comic book for sure..

any thought ?

EP was definitely a voracious bibliophile; this was also a side to him that he kept very private ............. only sharing with a few even in the inner circle, girlfriends, etc..

I can assure you that some of the tomes that EP was accustomed to digesting intellectually are not the kind of reading material easily handled by our average MMM or average "Joe" (no pun intended).

The ignorance as to this side of EP ............. extended even to those that were there. Those that didn't / couldn't understand (eg: Priscilla) or those that had zero interest (eg: most MMM's) .......... would often belittle it.

Geller is the best well-known influence here, simply because he has self-promoted (& inflated) his role in this regard; there were, however, a number of other influences both before & after Geller (he was by no means the only, nor most important).

--------------------------

One final note: EP's intellectual curiosity was vast & wide-ranging. Because it was, for all intents & purposes, ................ a kind of "self-eduction" or sorts ................ it was an undisciplined intelligence / focus. That said, ......... EP himself admitted that it was just a "hobby" of his. In this regard, ............. he did derive much pleasure from it, for his entire life.

Anybody who thinks that EP was not a very intelligent person, .............. is, ironically, very ignorant of the "facts."

- Capt. "EL."

Well said capt'n.