Thread: Elvis Country Volume Two

Elvis Country Volume Two

The Concept

The 1971 album “I’m 10,000 Years Old – Elvis Country” is regarded as one of Elvis Presley’s best. The song “I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago”, which later appeared in its entirety on the “Elvis Now” album in 1972, was used to link the songs together and illustrate the album’s concept to the listener, whilst the album’s twelve tracks recorded between June and September of 1970 showcased Elvis in fine voice.

What is interesting about the original album is that despite its title, it isn’t strictly a country collection. There was folk music with the inclusion of Anne Murray’s hit “Snowbird”, out and out rock ‘n’ roll in the shape of the Jerry Lee Lewis hit “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On”, whilst old country standards such as Bob Willis’ “Faded Love” were given Elvis’ own unique interpretation of ‘country rock’. Just as he had done back in the early days at Sun Studios, Elvis threw several music styles into the mix and made these songs his own.

As the 70’s progressed Elvis explored different musical genres, but country music remained a constant theme. Hence, this compilation of fourteen tracks recorded after the “Elvis Country” album at a number of sessions from 1971 to 1976. In keeping with the theme of the original album this is not strictly a country collection. Again there is folk with Elvis’ covers of Gordon Lightfoot’s “That’s What You Get For Loving Me”, “Early Morning Rain” and Bob Dylan’s “Don’t Think Twice It’s All Right”, and good old fashioned rock ‘n’ roll with a cover of Chuck Berry’s “Promised Land”, whilst the inclusion of Jerry Chesnut penned “T-R-O-U-B-L-E” and Dennis Linde’s “For The Heart” bring the spotlight back on Elvis’ own versions of songs that have been country hits for other artists in recent years. It may not be strictly country, but it is “Elvis Country” and as any Elvis fan will tell you that ain’t no bad thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails country2.gif  

Backstage Pass
    Well, I am almost 93 years old and I can't read the tracklist either, boy.

But, generally, I like this visual hommage to the original Elvis Country album. It also makes me feel like home, because my home board (the green Berlin board) is styled the same way.

Have mercy and grace us with bigger pix, please.

Maybe this would be a good occasion to think twice about the frontcover pic, because that is not alright.

The front cover image is the only part of the design that I’m not totally happy with at the moment. I was considering a sepia effect photograph, and I’ve also been trying to incorporate the Elvis at two years old photograph that featured on the original album, but I wasn’t happy with the results.

Larger previews are attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c1.jpg   c2.jpg   c3.jpg  

c4.jpg  

Great idea and wonderful design, but...you should drop that "hat" picture.
    Despite the "Rags To Riches" touch it's not exactly a picture that connects to the "country" feel of this cd.

Sonny

Backstage Pass
    I agree with Sonny wholeheartedly. Drop the hat pic.

I agree that the front picture doesn't really fit the theme of the album.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Here's an alternative design based on the original album concept.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c1.jpg  
    Last edited by rockinrebel; 02-21-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Now it's perfect RR!!

all in style of the original and yet so different.

Good design,tracklist and covershots!!

Elvis would be proud!!
    JohanD

"And i'm never gonna cease my wondering..."

Backstage Pass
    Wow! You are right on target now. This pic ties it into the original just fine.

Backstage Pass
    You have improved the design, definitely, RR.

Years ago I made a similar cover, but I used the original pic as well as some of the Elvis Country album tracks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1_Country.jpg   2_Country.jpg  

Again, thanks for your responses. I just need to make a few minor alterations and then I will post the final artwork.

Nice track listing on your “Elvis Country Sides” album Manhattoe.