Thread: The Definitive Documentary From Epe

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Hadn't heard anything about this EPE project in some time, but just a little bit ago on the radio I heard that it is supposed to come out next year, that it will be a 4-hour movie broadcast on CBS (hey, a new CBS special) presumably over a couple of nights, and it will indeed be a "warts and all" type of biography. Wow! Of course, being officially sanctioned it will have all kinds of authentic audio (sorry, Ronnie McDowell fans) and video footage, "possibly some unseen."

If I have missed this information somewhere and you're all just yawning as you read this, forgive me. But I didn't see anything about it on elvis.com, not for a good while anyway. I'm not fabricating this, but who knows for sure if these details are accurate or not. The person who reported it goes by "James St. James, The Real Jimmy Hollywood", this Hollywood insider guy.

Speaking of the CBS special, if EPE really has gotten a clue and figured out their world will not end if the 12 people in the world who do not know something about Elvis's demise--and by something I mean in most cases some distorted version of the truth--learn that things weren't perfect in the man's life, especially towards the end, then...well, you know where I'm going with this.

Anyway, if this report is true, it sounds great! Assuming it is, I wonder if what EPE considers "warts and all" would also be considered so by people like us. The fact that we are getting the Comeback and Aloha footage in their entirety and uncut (especially considering the dialogue that we know about in the Aloha post-broadcast session) perhaps illustrates that the powers that be are starting to take a step in the right direction in that regard...almost like they are maturing, LOL!
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Originally posted by lonniebealestreet@May 17 2004, 10:10 PM
    The fact that we are getting the Comeback and Aloha footage in their entirety and uncut (especially considering the dialogue that we know about in the Aloha post-broadcast session) perhaps illustrates that the powers that be are starting to take a step in the right direction in that regard...almost like they are maturing, LOL!
    Well Bobby, you know me....I'll be waiting to pass judgement on the "maturity" of EPE when they finally release the video of ELVIS IN CONCERT in some form!

As for the movie, I also read it somewhere on the internet (although I can't remember where I saw it! :bash: )

I do recall reading it would be a "warts and all" production, so just in that quote alone, and knowing EPE's stand on releasing the footage from ELVIS IN CONCERT, one would have to think that something from EIC would be included in the program. (Plus, it doesn't hurt our cause that CBS is doing the biography and of course, CBS is the station that originally aired EIC)

I've always thought that THIS IS ELVIS was an excellent biography of Elvis' life and career, so we could only hope that this project will come close to the quality of that!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

This is not the big one EPE are working on. Here is a cut and paste from EPE on another message board.

Periodically, we like to jump in on messageboard conversations about EPE-related matters and help out with correct info and clear up confusion. Noticed this thread and wanted to help. Why more folks don&#39;t simply write <[email protected]> to get the straight scoop and report back to their friends on the boards, we don&#39;t know. (This particular board, by the way, is consistently a pleasure to visit. Lots of positive energy here.)

Our major long-form documentary project is still on the agenda There is no announced release date or other details. See our FAQ item:
    http://www.elvis.com/elvisology/faq/faq.asp?qid=1 We will update that information whenever we can. (A companion CD set from BMG is, of course, anticipated.) When pressed by fans for information, we&#39;ve made the mistake of posting projected or hoped for dates, only to be barbecued later when we adjust the date projection. So, suffice it for now to say that this project high on our priority list and it will happen when it happens, and when it&#39;s firmed up, we&#39;ll let you know. There is so much more involved in pulling something like this together. The primary goal is to do it right. If it takes longer than we&#39;d all like for all the planets to align to make it happen and make it right, then so be it.

We do have a network TV special in the fall of 2004. It is being produced by David Saltz. This was mentioned in a press release several months ago: http://www.elvis.com/news/full_story.asp?id=522 Further details will be announced soon. It is the one that is being incorrectly referred to as "Anthology" on fan sites. It does have
    some documentary elements, but it&#39;s the not the big, long-form documentary referred to above. Yes, BMG plans a companion CD or CD set for the David Saltz special. The content of the CD release will be related to the content of the special. Until the special is further along in its development, the content of the CD will not be determined.

Thanks&#33;

Hmmm...well, thanks for clarifying that, Sam. Sorry for the bad info, folks. That reporter apparently did get the two projects confused. The good thing is that the big documentary is still in the works, and hopefully the details other than the projected airing of the special being next year are on track. But who knows...

I just read this on Elvis World Japan:

(May 14, 2004)
    CBS mini bows down to the King
    Josef Adalian, STAFF (Variety 05/13/2004)
    CBS can&#39;t help falling in love with Elvis.

Eye is developing a four-hour movie about the king of rock &#39;n&#39; roll, and has the blessing of the Elvis Presley estate for the project. As a result, the movie -- tentatively dubbed "Elvis" -- will be the first TV project to use master recordings of some of Presley&#39;s biggest hits, CBS said.

Jaffe/Braunstein Films is producing, with Robert Greenblatt and David Janollari ("Six FeetUnder") on board as exec producers along with Howard Braunstein and Michael Jaffe ("10.5"). Patrick Sheane Duncan ("Courage Under Fire," "Mr. Holland&#39;s Opus") is attached to write the pic, which is targeted for next season.

Braunstein said getting the Presley estate on board was key to the decision to pursue "Elvis."

"We thought that if you&#39;re going to do this right, you just can&#39;t do it without their co-operation," Braunstein said. "They&#39;re going to open their archives for us, and that means we really get first-hand information about his life rather than just some biography."

Idea for the project was first hatched more than 18 months ago, with the producers working to secure the OK from Presley&#39;s estate.

"I just thought this story had never been told in a complete and classy way," said Greenblatt, who first approached Elvis Presley Enterprises with the idea. "The closest thing was the Kurt Russell project (in 1979), and that was only two hours."

Real thing

Previous telepics about Presley have used sound-alikes to record Presley&#39;s songs, Braunstein said. Individual Elvis songs have been licensed for feature soundtracks. Using the original master recordings will give the CBS project an authenticity other projects lacked, the producer said.

"When our Elvis actor opens his mouth, it&#39;ll be Elvis&#39; voice that comes out," Greenblatt said.

Despite the cooperation of the Presley estate, "Elvis" won&#39;t offer a whitewashed version of history.

"We told the estate from the beginning that we want to do warts and all," Braunstein said."The estate understands that you need to tell the true version of his story. And hopefully, with access to the archives, we can learn all sorts of new and provocative things."

Added Greenblatt: "The estate is not afraid of doing the darker side (of Presley). It justwants it done with class and integrity, like Craig (Zadan) and Neil (Meron) did with theirJudy Garland movie."

"Elvis" won&#39;t be a birth-to-death biopic of the king, but Braunstein&#39;s not sure yet which parts of Presley&#39;s life will be included in the movie.

Elvis expert

Greenblatt said snagging Duncan to write the project is also a coup. "We had no idea when we first talked to him, but he is a complete Elvis nut -- and I say that in the most positive way," he said. "He&#39;s the perfect expert and a great writer, rolled into one."

Numerous telepics and features have been made about Presley, but Braunstein thinks the public&#39;s appetite for all things King remains strong. "The CD collections released a couple years ago went to the top of the charts," he said. "This man still has an enormous fan base."

Braunstein/Jaffe&#39;s "Brooke Ellison" was greenlit to production at A&E two weeks ago with Christopher Reeve on board to helm the tale of a quadriplegic youth who graduates with honors from Harvard.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Well, I&#39;m not sad about that. I have that 8-DVD set with all those documentaries ("Definitive Collection"?), and that&#39;s essential enough for me. I&#39;d rather have the full CBS Special or On Tour on DVD, than more clips of homemovies or (wellknown) interview with people "who knew him best".

Even movie outtakes (or bloopers) are more welcome in casa Albert than another documentary
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Just saw this on FECC...

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Elvis.com had the same flyer posted as well&#33;&#33;

It&#39;ll be interesting to see what form this project takes....will it be a true documentary in the style of THIS IS ELVIS, or will it be one of those docu-dramas featuring actors portraying Elvis? Personally, I am hoping for a THIS IS ELVIS style documentary&#33;&#33; I think we&#39;ve had enough of the movies featuring actors who really shouldn&#39;t be portraying Elvis&#33;&#33;

Just my opinion, though...

TCB&#33;
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!