Thread: Difference Between Two Concerts In Two Dates!

What do you think about large difference between two shows in Chicago in October 76??? On OS of this tour he sung awful and on this concert he seems not in Stadium! But one day later - he played very very good show! I don?t think that it?s only difference between his mood, but it?s different in his vocal shape too! But why??? What?s happened between 14th and 15th October??? Maybe it?s stupid question, but difference in quality between Chicago Beat and Bringing The House Down is absolutely unbelieavable!
    (Blackmore - Gillan - Glover - Lord - Paice)
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    line that?s drawn between
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    bullets flying taking toll
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    you?d better close your eyes
    you?d better bow your head and
    wait for the ricochet

- Lyrics of most beautiful song in rock music ever!!!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I will listen to those CD's, rip two samples and post them here on this board
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

I think that song on which is large difference absolutely clearly listenable is:

:idea:

You Gave Me A Mountain and Hurt! It?s great pity that El didn?t play Train on 15th Oct show... :cry:
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    wait for the ricochet

BRINGIN' THE HOUSE DOWN

Chicago, October 15 1976

Sample: Bringing The House Down - You Gave Me a Mountain.wma

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

CHICAGO BEAT

Chicago, October 14 1976

Sample: Chicago Beat - You Gave Me A Mountain.wma

Quote from review:
    The title "Chicago Beat" sounds promising, but doesn't fit this concert. Ok, it was in Chicago, all right, but "Beat" - No! Elvis seems extremely bored, really, although he sings well and is focused on almost every song. There is definitely something missing, and that is the "beat".

GOOD WORK!
    Sweet child in time
    you?ll see the line
    good and bad
    see the blind man
    shooting at the world
    If you?ve been a bad
    oh Lord I bet you have
    and you?ve not been hit
    by flying led
    wait for the ricochet

Coming On Strong
    Although I agree that Elvis sounds better on the October 15t I feel that the 14th was a good show also. The following is a quote from Stein Erik Skars The Concert Years book:

Elvis looked far healthier and physically stronger during the opening of the tour in Chicago than he had done during the previous tours of the year. The heavy thumping performer of the last tours had almost bacame fleet of feet again - and Elvis worked so hard on stage during this first concert that he threw up from sheer exhaustion after it
    If the sound on the October 14th concert would have been the same as on Bringing The House Down there probably wouldn?t be much difference in Elvis his performance. Still, the 15th is indeed a bit better show.

Cadillac King
    Peter,
    When I saw the lyrics you had written it brought back a lot of memories for me. I bought the album Deep Purple in Rock when I was about 17....yes long time ago......I played this song over and over, it drove my father so mad, he came in a ripped it off my record player and threw it like a frisbee up the back yard......I only recently found the album Deep Purple 'Child In Time' in my local record shop......listening to it now, I am surprised Dad let me play it as often as he did..... It's still a classic though, I love it......
    Carolyn
    "Walk A Block In My Socks"

I'm in my forties and some days I feel and respond better at work then other days. I think it was just a case of EP having a bad day, it happens to everybody, I don't care who you are.

You are right about that, Joe!

Elvis' problems though, using the medication that he did, had a diff'rent problem than most of us...

Considering it's not that strange that one day he was more into "it" than other days.

Sonny

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    I have to agree that the Chicago show on the 15th is much better than the show on the 14th also!

Just take a listen at how Elvis attacks STEAMROLLER BLUES on the 15th...FANTASTIC!!! (Although the cover of "Bringin' The House Down" is a bit misleading...it is definitely one of the best versions for sure, but I'm not sure if this is the "coolest" version of STEAMROLLER BLUES "ever")

As to what happened, unless someone has some more information on this, I would just have to guess that perhaps Elvis was just in a better mood on the 15th. If someone does have more information on this, I would certainly be interested in hearing it!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Seems that e has a voice problem in both shows and he sounds a bit like the college park show, when his voice is quit thin and little out of breath on some parts, compare you gave me moutain to the elvis in concert (1977) one, and you will see that the '77 version blows both versions away!

There is no doubt about it Patrick....the EIC version of YOU GAVE ME A MOUNTAIN is much better than EITHER version from Chicago...

But, of the 2 shows in question, I just have to give the nod to the 15th as the better overall performance!

TCB!
    Mike

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Originally posted by jungleroom76@May 17 2004, 06:33 PM
    Just take a listen at how Elvis attacks STEAMROLLER BLUES on the 15th...FANTASTIC!!!? (Although the cover of "Bringin' The House Down" is a bit misleading...it is definitely one of the best versions for sure, but I'm not sure if this is the "coolest" version of STEAMROLLER BLUES "ever")? 
    And it's even more misleading when you consider that Elvis never sang a song called Streamroller Blues (see the cover above)! Elvis did attack the song though, and it is for sure the coolest intro to the song I've ever heard. So it's definitely high up on the list.

Patrick, you hit the nail on the head when you described his voice as a little thin. That is the main difference between those two Chicago shows, to my ears. But he was still having some difficulty with his voice on the 15th; as I recall it sounded like he had a frog in his throat for the ending of Hurt, which I believe he acknowledged. His reprise wasn't much better in that regard, but he was definitely putting in the effort.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Originally posted by lonniebealestreet@May 18 2004, 06:01 PM
    And it's even more misleading when you consider that Elvis never sang a song called Streamroller Blues (see the cover above)!
    GREAT EYE BOBBY!!

I NEVER saw that before!!!

Thanks for pointing that out!

TCB!
    Mike