Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rebel & The King

The Rebel & The King

I was wondering if any of you have read this book by Nick Adams and if so what did you think about it. I read it yesterday after some hesitation (the Kindle version is only $3.99 so I thought it was worth the "risk") and I have to say that I enjoyed it. It's a short nice book about Nick's stay at Elvis' home with Gladys and Vernon, the things they did together during those days and it also has some anecdotes, like Elvis visiting his teacher at Humes High and talking to the kids at his old classroom, amongst a few others.

I was a little wary because the story about Nick's daughter finding the notes on Elvis written by her father in 1956 sounded a little fishy to me, but it includes a picture of the original papers and it seems like part of it was already published in a magazine in those days. The book is the unedited version that was originally written by Nick.

Re: The Rebel & The King

I meant to get that book but I honestly forgot all about it.Thanks for reminding me about it.I just bought the Kindle version also.Im curious about it.Nick Adams was an interesting guy.Things certainly didnt turn out well for him.I also bought the Kindle version of the Barbara Leigh book.That was only $3.99.I thought that one might be worth a read also.I couldnt resist buying the Scott Thorson book about Liberace while I was shopping.Im off work for the next 9 days.My week will be filled with Elvis and Liberace stories.I wonder if Leberace will be more ionteresting than Elvis?

I have read a book on the life of Nick Adams-not sure if its the same one...his life was a little tragic-he felt he should be a leading man and he was more of a character actor-so Hollywood overlooked him for bigger better things. He ended up doing B-films he only took because he got the lead.
    He wanted to be James Dean and that was not in the cards.
    Work in Progress!

I'm also interested on Barbarah Leigh's book. But I thought that maybe her story has been already told by her in interviews, so I'll wait for your review, jak. Tell me if it is worth getting, please

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I have read a book on the life of Nick Adams-not sure if its the same one...his life was a little tragic-he felt he should be a leading man and he was more of a character actor-so Hollywood overlooked him for bigger better things. He ended up doing B-films he only took because he got the lead.
    He wanted to be James Dean and that was not in the cards.
    KPM, the book I'm talking about is this one. It was published a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    .My week will be filled with Elvis and Liberace stories.I wonder if Leberace will be more ionteresting than Elvis?
    I want to watch the new movie about Liberace, "Behind the candelabra".

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    KPM, the book I'm talking about is this one. It was published a few months ago
    No It can't be the same one since the book I'm speaking of I read several years back.
    Work in Progress!

I want to watch the new movie about Liberace, "Behind the candelabra".
    You and me both.The film will be released on DVD and Bluray this September I think.The guy who the movie is based on appeared on Howard Sterns satellite radio show the other day.I listened to it while driving to work.Fascinating interview.His stories are incredible.The whole interview is on YouTube.

I looked at it in Memphis last August.....couldnt really decide if it was worth getting....so I didn't
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

I'm also interested on Barbarah Leigh's book. But I thought that maybe her story has been already told by her in interviews, so I'll wait for your review, jak. Tell me if it is worth getting, please
    I have read this Donut, enjoyed it.....and i'm flabbergasted that she managed to 'date' 3 such important Men and they didn't know about each other......lol
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    I have read this Donut, enjoyed it.....and i'm flabbergasted that she managed to 'date' 3 such important Men and they didn't know about each other......lol
    She reminds me of someone... haha

She reminds me of someone... haha
    don't she just........

I just finished the Barbara Leigh book. For $3.99 it's not a bad buy. Not a whole lot of new info but it does give insight on how Elvis juggled his women. Some of her details were wrong and I noticed a wrong caption on a photo. She does paint a sad picture of Elvis' decline. She also comes across as kinda full of herself. She was a stunning beauty, and she doesn't mind reminding you. The Steve McQueen stuff was interesting too. It was amazing how she managed dating three such important peope. Overall it's worth the price and it did hold my interest.

Cadillac King

I just finished the Barbara Leigh book. For $3.99 it's not a bad buy. Not a whole lot of new info but it does give insight on how Elvis juggled his women. Some of her details were wrong and I noticed a wrong caption on a photo. She does paint a sad picture of Elvis' decline. She also comes across as kinda full of herself. She was a stunning beauty, and she doesn't mind reminding you. The Steve McQueen stuff was interesting too. It was amazing how she managed dating three such important peope. Overall it's worth the price and it did hold my interest.

How did Elvis "juggle the women", Jak?

Elvis had a high tech operation when it came to the women. Might have been more accurate to say Esposito did the juggling. I didn't know Elvis kept a separate bathroom for his women at the Hilton. Elvis never allowed anybody in the same bathroom with him according to the book. The spare bath was ready for his "guests". Leigh said she knew Elvis had other women during their affair. She said he couldn't be without one. Elvis would have Esposito take care of plane tickets and other arrangements for his women. They would be gone before Priscilla showed up. Leigh said she never caught him cheating because everything was planned out so well. Leigh does offer some interesting antedotes about Elvis' habits with women. She stated also how she felt the guys around Elvis just used women with no consideration. The supply of women was continuous.

Cadillac King

Elvis had a high tech operation when it came to the women. Might have been more accurate to say Esposito did the juggling. I didn't know Elvis kept a separate bathroom for his women at the Hilton. Elvis never allowed anybody in the same bathroom with him according to the book. The spare bath was ready for his "guests". Leigh said she knew Elvis had other women during their affair. She said he couldn't be without one. Elvis would have Esposito take care of plane tickets and other arrangements for his women. They would be gone before Priscilla showed up. Leigh said she never caught him cheating because everything was planned out so well. Leigh does offer some interesting antedotes about Elvis' habits with women. She stated also how she felt the guys around Elvis just used women with no consideration. The supply of women was continuous.

May I ask what the "habits" were, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    May I ask what the "habits" were, please?
    For a mere $3.99 it can all be yours!

Barbara Leigh is the most beautiful of all Elvis' women, IMO. She certainly was stunning.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll finally read it. Like you say it's only $3.99 after all.

It was an art-oh the adult sitcom premises that could be told I'm sure.
    Work in Progress!

Just finished reading Barbara's book and I have to admit that it was interesting, but more for Barbara and her other two boyfriends than for Elvis, really. Looks like Elvis wasn't the only expert on multiple date logistics here. The part when Barbara pays a visit to Elvis at the hospital in Nashville is very moving, though... I couldn't stop crying for a good while...
    Not that I doubted it much before reading this book, but I'm really convinced now that Elvis didn't love his wife. That's not love in any way or form.

Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast