Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 201

Thread: The Rebel & The King

  1. #141
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Elvis was not typical (thats an understatement)-his reasoning and definition of love was a little more complex that the norm.



    Sometimes it just takes that person, whereas everything comes together and clicks, and then, one couldn't dream of playing up.

    We'll never know.

  2. #142
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Linda would have to be pretty weak and stupid to allow Elvis to move a second woman into Graceland...in the interview with King she sounds like a fairly strong woman who disliked the cheating but had reconcilled herself to the fact that Elvis did so.

    Wasn't Linda with one of the piano players?

  3. #143
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I remember reading that Elvis admitted to her seeing other woman and also telling her that she didn't need to worry because they didn't mean anything to him. I can't recall where I read it that but it's true that she also said Elvis told her she couldn't do the same. The funny thing is that meanwhile Elvis was talking Sheila Ryan into moving to Graceland...


    Didn't Sheila fall in love with James Caan, and subsequently, because of this, ended her relationship with Elvis?

  4. #144
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Yes and that's what bothers me the most...we can't get Elvis' side of any story.

  5. #145
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Elvis was not typical (thats an understatement)-his reasoning and definition of love was a little more complex that the norm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Sometimes it just takes that person, whereas everything comes together and clicks, and then, one couldn't dream of playing up.

    We'll never know.
    This quote is from Elvis talking to Sam Thompson about his break up with his sister Linda. It looks like Elvis was not so different from many of us after all

    “Sam,” Elvis said, “I love your sister, but I am not in love with her, and I’ve found someone else. I just want you to know that it’s not going to affect your job. I respect what you do, and if you want to work for me, you have a position".
    _________________

  6. #146
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Didn't Sheila fall in love with James Caan, and subsequently, because of this, ended her relationship with Elvis?
    Yes. It happened that way.
    _________________

  7. #147
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    The words Elvis said to Sam Thompson about loving his sister but wasn't in love with her....says it all. Unfortunately I think this was the case with every woman he met. I think the closest he was in love with anyone was Ann Margaret but still not enough to hold on to the relationship. That was his downfall and his loss in life.

  8. #148
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Wasn't Linda with one of the piano players?
    No-she was talking to him one day-and Elvis became jealous-to me thats kinda of funny.
    Work in Progress!

  9. #149
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    This quote is from Elvis talking to Sam Thompson about his break up with his sister Linda. It looks like Elvis was not so different from many of us after all
    Yes thats what he told Sam but heres what he told Linda-to her face-so we can assume one of these statements is false or at the least misleading:
    Another quote from Linda in the Larry King interview:
    Larry King: Why did you break up?

    Linda Thompson: Well, after four-and-a-half years of the yo-yo back and forth of other women, up all night, sleeping all day, the drug abuse, you know, it was... I just realized that I probably was never gonna be able to help him the way I wanted to help him. There was no Betty Ford Center then. There was no place for him to go, and he kept falling back into this prescription drug dilemma.
    Larry King: So what did you do? How did you handle it?

    Linda Thompson: He helped me actually. Because I was in San Francisco with him and he said, honey, would you like to fly back to Memphis? I have brought the Jet Star in to take you back. And, you know, deducing that he was not going to bring the plane in just for me, I figured he brought another girl in from Memphis, and that was his way of saying, you know, there's another girl here, but you know, you want to go back to Memphis for a few days. He was playing the Cow Palace. And I said yes, that's fine. I'll go back to Memphis, but I'm sure you've brought someone else to be with. Oh, no, honey, I would never do that. The last time I saw him alive he looked me in the eye and said, I want you to know something, honey, before you leave. No matter what you ever hear, no matter what everybody ever tells you, I just want you to know that I love you. I don't love anyone else. There's no other girl here, and you're the one I love. OK.
    Larry King: Did you think there was a girl there?
    Linda Thompson: I knew there was. She was on the floor below, waiting.
    Work in Progress!

  10. #150
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    No-she was talking to him one day-and Elvis became jealous-to me thats kinda of funny.

    Actually, I found more on that; however, the only cross references I could find was someone else's information; however, if you have the books, you could see:



    Nash "Baby Let's Play House"-

    Exactly who did the leaving is a matter of semantics. Linda logged a few days on the next tour, Elvis' eighth of 1976. But she was already involved emotionally involved with keyboard player David Briggs, who'd offered a strong shoulder. Elvis had his suspicions, and sent Larry Geller to a restaurant, where he found the couple enjoying a candlelight dinner at 3 A.M. "The band was afraid he was going to shoot me," David remembers." (Briggs was interviewed by Nash.)

    Esposito - "Good Rockin' Tonight" -


    Linda had also had enough."I'm going to see some of the people in the band," Linda began saying after spending several hours vegetating with him in front of the television. If Elvis minded, he didn't show it. Finally, she had an affair with David Briggs. We knew about it, but we understood.

    Larry Geller - "If I Can Dream"

    "Larry, do me a favor and get Linda. I need her now." After searching in a few obvious places, I found Linda in the hotel restaurant, sitting at a back corner table with Elvis' keyboard player, David Briggs. Though she had a healthy attitude toward sex and liked to flirt, I don't believe her relationship with Briggs was sexual. She was too moral a person to do such a thing.

    Sonny West - "Still Taking Care of Business"

    Linda had become romantically involved with (Elvis') keyboard player, David Briggs, and left soon thereafter.

    Guralnick & Jorgensen - "Day By Day"

    (November 29, 1976) When Linda finally does depart, it is for the last time, as she soon takes up a relationship with keyboard player David Briggs that has begun several months earlier. (How much more vague can one be? "Taking up something that has begun...")

    Cajiao - "Talking Elvis" -


    (Interview with Briggs)

    " A lot of reference books hint that you had a relationship with Linda Thompson..."

    "Yeah, I don't talk about that a lot. People ask Linda to talk about it too and she always says "I will if he will." But yes, I ended up living with her.

    She left Elvis to go with me."




    Last edited by Turbo; 07-14-2013 at 04:00 PM.

  11. #151
    TCB Mafia Snake Eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,275

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    A lesson for the men: If you aren't taking care of business at home, another man will.

    Nice research there Turbo.

  12. #152
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Yes thats what he told Sam but heres what he told Linda-to her face-so we can assume one of these statements is false or at the least misleading:
    Another quote from Linda in the Larry King interview:
    The last time I saw him alive he looked me in the eye and said, I want you to know something, honey, before you leave. No matter what you ever hear, no matter what everybody ever tells you, I just want you to know that I love you.I don't love anyone else. There's no other girl here, and you're the one I love. OK.
    Larry King[/B]: Did you think there was a girl there?
    Linda Thompson: I knew there was. She was on the floor below, waiting.
    Yes, it's clear that Elvis was lying to Linda, since the girl waiting for him on the floor below was, in fact, Ginger Alden. The same girl he proposed to a few months later. But the two statements are not so different as they seem to you. Elvis says in both that he loves Linda, which can be really true. But avoids telling her he isn't in love with her, which is obvious he wasn't, and admits it to her brother instead. Possibly because he didn't want to hurt her.

    Love and to be in love is what once again makes the difference here, a difference Elvis clearly knew and felt just like everybody else.
    _________________

  13. #153
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    In total agreement...loving and being in love is two different things altogether and a reason so many marriages fail...because they can't differentiate.

  14. #154
    I'm only Your elvia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Poland - Europe
    Posts
    6,076

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    In total agreement...loving and being in love is two different things altogether and a reason so many marriages fail...because they can't differentiate.
    Yes, you're right Dee, the most enduring relationships begin with friendship.
    Passion can quickly turn into a hatred.
    I'll Remember You!!!

  15. #155
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Yes, it's clear that Elvis was lying to Linda, since the girl waiting for him on the floor below was, in fact, Ginger Alden. The same girl he proposed to a few months later. But the two statements are not so different as they seem to you. Elvis says in both that he loves Linda, which can be really true. But avoids telling her he isn't in love with her, which is obvious he wasn't, and admits it to her brother instead. Possibly because he didn't want to hurt her.

    Love and to be in love is what once again makes the difference here, a difference Elvis clearly knew and felt just like everybody else.
    I see the difference, always have-but love is "love"...probably the strongest emotion that humans have.
    If Elvis loved but Priscilla-but was not "in love with her" he still had for her-the strongest emotion that one person can have for another.
    Linda is in the same boat-but Elvis just would not tell her to her face...that is Elvis' shortcoming.
    Also Linda says, at times with Elvis she was "a mother, a sister, a lover, a friend"......she knew the roles she played in the relationship....the same was true of Priscilla........the relationships changed overtime, Elvis was "in love" with both-but overtime he saw them differently. LInda says after 5 years she finally saw he was never going to change and she could not change him.....her love also changed towards him...as did Priscilla's.
    But they still loved each other which is what I have said from the start.
    So which form of love was Elvis expressing when he yelled:
    ......."LISTEN CILLA" .......
    in the middle of "Its Midnight" .....a song about missing someone you no longer have?
    A modem of love is must still be there...a modem of longing and regret...that is all I have ever said-love was still present...you can define it however you want.
    It was Elvis' idea of love because he repeated it with each woman he was in a relationship with.
    Elvis needed so much attention, Linda said he needed to be the center of everything-that can be pretty smothering to anyone else.
    Work in Progress!

  16. #156
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Elvis probably needed all that attention because he was smothered by his mother. A child needs a lot of love but they also have to be taught that there are others that also need love. He was too self-centered.

  17. #157
    Tupelo Cake Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I see the difference, always have-but love is "love"...probably the strongest emotion that humans have.
    If Elvis loved but Priscilla-but was not "in love with her" he still had for her-the strongest emotion that one person can have for another.
    Linda is in the same boat-but Elvis just would not tell her to her face...that is Elvis' shortcoming.
    Also Linda says, at times with Elvis she was "a mother, a sister, a lover, a friend"......she knew the roles she played in the relationship....the same was true of Priscilla........the relationships changed overtime, Elvis was "in love" with both-but overtime he saw them differently. LInda says after 5 years she finally saw he was never going to change and she could not change him.....her love also changed towards him...as did Priscilla's.
    But they still loved each other which is what I have said from the start.
    So which form of love was Elvis expressing when he yelled:
    ......."LISTEN CILLA" .......

    in the middle of "Its Midnight" .....a song about missing someone you no longer have?
    A modem of love is must still be there...a modem of longing and regret...that is all I have ever said-love was still present...you can define it however you want.
    It was Elvis' idea of love because he repeated it with each woman he was in a relationship with.
    Elvis needed so much attention, Linda said he needed to be the center of everything-that can be pretty smothering to anyone else.
    I think Elvis cared, at least some, for his ex-wife. Elvis was very affectinate with everyone and seemed to love everybody around him very much, so he probably had some feelings also for Priscilla. However, the show you are quoting him from is the same in which he said he hadn't ever been strung out in his life amongst other nonsense, so I wouldn't take that statement before that specific song too seriously.

    You know? Elvis also told Sheila Ryan to stand up during a concert and show the audience the huge ring he had just given her. Priscilla was in attendance too and it was a way, according to Sheila, to make Priscilla see he was dating her in a serious way. The thing is that Elvis said a lot of different things to different people, so I think it's better where Elvis is concerned to come to conclusions by judging his behavior. What he said and what he did is in many occasions opposed.

    He didn't even try to change when he lost Priscilla and then Linda, so I don't think he really "loved" them that much. At least after he was with them for some time. He seemed to get easily bored with all his women, or maybe he never found the woman he was looking for.
    _________________

  18. #158
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I think Elvis cared, at least some, for his ex-wife. Elvis was very affectinate with everyone and seemed to love everybody around him very much, so he probably had some feelings also for Priscilla. However, the show you are quoting him from is the same in which he said he hadn't ever been strung out in his life amongst other nonsense, so I wouldn't take that statement before that specific song too seriously.

    You know? Elvis also told Sheila Ryan to stand up during a concert and show the audience the huge ring he had just given her. Priscilla was in attendance too and it was a way, according to Sheila, to make Priscilla see he was dating her in a serious way. The thing is that Elvis said a lot of different things to different people, so I think it's better where Elvis is concerned to come to conclusions by judging his behavior. What he said and what he did is in many occasions opposed.

    He didn't even try to change when he lost Priscilla and then Linda, so I don't think he really "loved" them that much. At least after he was with them for some time. He seemed to get easily bored with all his women, or maybe he never found the woman he was looking for.
    AFTER A TIME yes as things changed his love waned-Elvis was a hot and cold person, when he was into something it was his passion during that time and it was what he lived for.
    He never tried to change "for anyone" not Anita Wood, Dixie Locke, the list is endless-it was all on his terms-with his rules........
    I think he loved both Linda and Priscilla passionately-madly...BUT where he failed in his close relationships was he never allowed them to mature ...first kisses, roses, baby talk and mad passionate love...must evolve into the realization that it does not stay that way forever-party manners are for early in the relationship for everyone-then you start to notice the faults of your mate (and they notice yours) and the fire becomes
    "a warmth of inner peace in your heart" instead of a roaring fire that eventually burns itself out.
    If you can survive noticing the faults and all the other evolutions in a marriage-you have it made-but it takes work, and it takes time.
    He did love deeply-but wanted the fire to roar like the first moment he met and fell in love...all the time.
    Great line from the 68 film "Yours Mine and Ours" Henry Fonda is trying to explain to his daughter about love (as hes taking Lucille Ball to the hospital to have a child) the daughter is being pressured to go all the way by her boyfriend.
    Fonda tells her (paraphrased)-you can have all the hot love ins you want-but the real love is much more.... its getting up each morning for the 3 oclock feedings, going to work when you feel sick, doing without so your family and spouse can have other things, working side by side to get things done etc........
    Elvis wanted the hot love, the passion of first explorations, first embraces and kisses, first everything......and could never get beyond that.
    So he loved deeply-but a fire that does not get tended properly burns out.....and he would look for new kindling to begin the process all over.
    I love Elvis, his talent touches me when I hear him sing-but he was just immature and insecure on a personal level and he tried to make up for it on other levels....his happiness and (lack of happiness) are in the middle of those extremes.
    Lonely in a crowd, yet happiest perfoming on stage in front of thousands.....from opposite ends of the universe are those statements-but they are Elvis.
    Work in Progress!

  19. #159
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    As far as disregarding the "Listen Cilla" and the nonsense claims that he had never been strung out in his life....in Elvis' mind he was telling the truth...heroin addicts get strung out, cocaine addicts get strung out, alcoholics get strung out....Elvis could look himself in the mirror and say-
    "I take prescribed medications for problems" .....so in his mind he was telling the truth.
    Just as he was telling the truth when he yelled "Listen Cilla" .......ITs Midnight and I miss you" in his mind....
    The part of showing off rings on other woman...part of that is a macho thing-
    "Look at my young girl friend, look at that huge diamond on her finger I PUT IT THERE"
    Work in Progress!

  20. #160
    Cadillac King
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    282

    Re: The Rebel & The King

    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    A lesson for the men: If you aren't taking care of business at home, another man will.

    Nice research there Turbo.


    You are welcome, Jen.

    As Ken says, there isn't ever black and white, there are so many shades of grey, i.e. different sides of stories, and I feel that Elvis' story is full of grey.

    I also agree with your comment.

Similar Threads

  1. lisa rebel
    By DIAMOND1871 in forum Other artwork (posters, drawings, t-shirts etc)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 08:57 PM
  2. Riley Keough was at the “Rebel Rebel”
    By presley31 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
  3. Birthday Party Fit For A King Honors The King Of Vegas!
    By presley31 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 09:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •