Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis movie...

Elvis movie...

Do you think there will ever be a movie made on Elvis' life (a biography) that will have the right actor, consistent details and storyline?
    I liked Kurt Russell in 1979 as Elvis, but the storyline wasn't great as it lacked something for me. It also had some incorrect info.

Who do you all think could play Elvis?
    What do you think can be done differently, from what was has been done before?

TCB Mafia

Re: Elvis movie...

No.

I think the ship has sailed on a properly done Elvis biopic.

There are actually several actors that i think could have done a good job portraying Elvis had the script been good.

Kurt Russell late 70s thru the early 80s.
    Daniel Day Lewis late 80s thru the 1990s
    Michael st. Gerard 1990s (Actually played Elvis several times late 80s-early 90s.)
    Johnny Depp in the 80s or 90s
    Joaquin Phoenix in the 2000s.

Aside from getting a good actor two things could have been done differently to make the biopic better.

1. Portray Elvis as likable instead of depressed, moody or a jerk. (The Kurt Russell and Don Johnson movies did this and then they stopped and went more negative).
    2. Portray more things that actually happened in Elvis' career/life.

I was thinking about this a while back that despite so many television movies very little of Elvis' life have been depicted in any of them.

Elvis recording at Sun ( depicted once)
    Elvis the 1968 television special (depicted only once in a very bad way)
    Aloha (never depicted!!!)

Just a few days ago I read that Mick Jagger was in talks to produce an Elvis biopic, so maybe it will be finally properly done. You can find many news reports about it like this one on Google http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/201...sa-marie-0614/

I think that Johnny Depp or Robert Downey Jr. could have been good to play Elvis years back, but they are getting old like everyone else and now I'm not so sure they could portray a twenty something Elvis without looking ridiculous anymore.

Cadillac King

I know that a straight man would be insulted, and rightly so (please don't "roll over in your grave", Elvis, as the saying goes); however, this isn't meant as an insult by any means. The only person I can think of who has the magic on stage, the smile, the soul, the body, the legs, the joy, the sensitivity, the height, the movements and fitness, the TALENT, and is so very handsome and still young enough, is Ricky Martin. Ricky Martin has soul, the music is in him, just like Elvis.

To me, Ricky, although I agree with Johnny Depp being a very good "Elvis" years ago and my pick (although Johnny doesn't have the height) fits the bill more than anyone else I can think of.

Just look at him:

Kurt Russel's movie was the best in my opinion. They changed the reality sometimes (for example, I don't think he sang "Crying In The Chapel" on stage, like it was in the movie), but I still think Kurt Russel did a great job and the actress who played Gladys was great too.

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Yeah Betty he never did perform it. And the actress is Shelley Winters. She played in about a million of movies and was nominated from Emmy's and all other film awards all the was to Academy awards. She was nominated 4 times and won twice. I've seen her in a couple of movies. She's really excellent. You should check her out if you liked her as Gladys. To me personally she was also the perfect Gladys.

TCB Mafia

The problem with Ricky Martin is that he's not an actor and he's hispanic.

Getting a hispanic man to play Elvis Presley would be a mistake.

Since he's not a professional actor i don't see how he would do a good job.

What bothers me the most about almost every movie that's been made on Elvis is how biased they are. It would be good that, if a quality movie is made, they gather all the possible information available from those who were close to him and try to find a balanced point of view. What we've had untill now is almost always how difficult he made the lives of one or another or how tyrant and depressed he was all his life, which is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    Do you think there will ever be a movie made on Elvis' life (a biography) that will have the right actor
    There will never be a "right" actor to play Elvis because it's impossible to capture him. All of Elvis' fans see him a little differently so there will never be an actor who pleases everyone. However, to date, the best portrayal was by Kurt Russell.

For me, This Is Elvis is the best Elvis biopic because it struck a good balance between using actors and actual footage of Elvis himself.

I do hope there will be at least 1 more Elvis biopic still to come- but it's all been done before so many times that it's probably unlikely. What we may see instead of a biopic are projects focusing on a few years' in Elvis' life or even one event- such as the proposed Elvis meets Nixon movie.
    Last edited by JRtherealJR; 06-24-2013 at 02:29 PM.

I have my doubts we will ever see a quality film based on Elvis' life. His story is so well known that Im not sure any studio would think it worthwhile. Something similar to the Cash bio should be the goal. If it ever happens it will be awfully hard to find a suitable actor to portray Elvis.

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The problem with Ricky Martin is that he's not an actor and he's hispanic.

Getting a hispanic man to play Elvis Presley would be a mistake.

Since he's not a professional actor i don't see how he would do a good job.

Ricky is Latino, specifically Puerto Rican. Puerto Rican's descendants are European.

Don't forget that Elvis' background is American Indian.

The acting is an unknown, granted, and could be a problem; however, he is still the closest in every way that I can think of.

I have long said that finding an actor who can compare to the real Elvis is why a huge big budget bio pic had not been done up till now.
    ELVIS is huge huge shoes to fill-the charisma was just off the charts and fans more than anyone know this-so producers know how critical fans are when it comes to Elvis and they know the film will not be successful if the actor who plays him is not spot on perfect.
    Kurt Russell was pretty good-but the TV film itself was just so so.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Ricky is Latino, specifically Puerto Rican. Puerto Rican's descendants are European.

Don't forget that Elvis' background is American Indian.

The acting is an unknown, granted, and could be a problem; however, he is still the closest in every way that I can think of.
    Right.

You've convinced me that Ricky Martin is the only person that can play Elvis.

Also i can see Ricky Martin being great as James Brown.

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Right.

You've convinced me that Ricky Martin is the only person that can play Elvis.

Also i can see Ricky Martin being great as James Brown.

Who said that?

Looking around with a bewildered look on my face!

Cadillac King

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I have long said that finding an actor who can compare to the real Elvis is why a huge big budget bio pic had not been done up till now.
    ELVIS is huge huge shoes to fill-the charisma was just off the charts and fans more than anyone know this-so producers know how critical fans are when it comes to Elvis and they know the film will not be successful if the actor who plays him is not spot on perfect.
    Kurt Russell was pretty good-but the TV film itself was just so so.

I agree with your KPM, and that is the problem - no-one can do it.

If you look at other people and then compare to Elvis, there isn't a comparison with the persona.

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    There will never be a "right" actor to play Elvis because it's impossible to capture him. All of Elvis' fans see him a little differently so there will never be an actor who pleases everyone. However, to date, the best portrayal was by Kurt Russell.

For me, This Is Elvis is the best Elvis biopic because it struck a good balance between using actors and actual footage of Elvis himself.

I do hope there will be at least 1 more Elvis biopic still to come- but it's all been done before so many times that it's probably unlikely. What we may see instead of a biopic are projects focusing on a few years' in Elvis' life or even one event- such as the proposed Elvis meets Nixon movie.
    JR, thanks for your reply. Never is a long time, but I think someone could play Elvis. It won't be easy to find the "right" actor to play the part. I think they need to find someone who has some similar features, someone who can act and I think an unknown actor at this time, would be a better choice. Yes, Kurt Russell was the best one to portray Elvis, to date.

Yes, I agree. This Is Elvis was great! It had a little bit of everything it in and it really shows Elvis' life story from beginning to end, using actual footage was a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    I have my doubts we will ever see a quality film based on Elvis' life. His story is so well known that Im not sure any studio would think it worthwhile. Something similar to the Cash bio should be the goal. If it ever happens it will be awfully hard to find a suitable actor to portray Elvis.
    This is the problem...so far there hasn't been a quality film based on Elvis' life. I recently watched Walk The Line (again) lol and this is what made me realize that if a fantastic movie about Johnny Cash's life can be made, why can't there be one made on Elvis?

Quote Originally Posted by franny View Post
    This is the problem...so far there hasn't been a quality film based on Elvis' life. I recently watched Walk The Line (again) lol and this is what made me realize that if a fantastic movie about Johnny Cash's life can be made, why can't there be one made on Elvis?
    I liked "Walk the line" too, but do you think Elvis' fans would like a movie like that made about Elvis? It was too centered on Cash drug problems, remember?

I truly believe a quality movie could be made. The problem with us fans is that we see Elvis as someone unique and inimitable (which is true) that no one could properly portray. But we shouldn't expect anyone to by exactly like him, there was only one Elvis and he is unrepeatable. I guess that if we ask the fans of other artists that have been depicted in a biopic the majority of them would also be discontented, even if the movie was well accepted by the general public. Do you know what I mean?

"I truly believe a quality movie could be made. The problem with us fans is that we see Elvis as someone unique and inimitable (which is true) that no one could properly portray. But we shouldn't expect anyone to by exactly like him, there was only one Elvis and he is unrepeatable. I guess that if we ask the fans of other artists that have been depicted in a biopic the majority of them would also be discontented, even if the movie was well accepted by the general public. Do you know what I mean? "

I know exactly what you mean.It would be a mistake to try and film a movie with an actor basically imitating Elvis and trying to look like him.The reason Walk The Line was so good was the cast.First rate production with top notch actors,not imitators.An Elvis bio needs the same approach.Convincing a studio to finance the project would be a different story though.I would love to see it happen.

I know exactly what you mean.It would be a mistake to try and film a movie with an actor basically imitating Elvis and trying to look like him.The reason Walk The Line was so good was the cast.First rate production with top notch actors,not imitators.An Elvis bio needs the same approach.Convincing a studio to finance the project would be a different story though.I would love to see it happen.
    I don't know if you have see the link I posted above, but it seems like Mike Jagger is working on it

According to reports, Mick Jagger is in talks to produce the upcoming Elvis Presley biopic. His production company Jagged Films is set to be teaming up with Fox for the biopic, which has been in development for a very long time.
    http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/201...sa-marie-0614/

Same report rom Fox News http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...-elvis-biopic/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast